Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

torsion tube removal question

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 12:28 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 95 Posts

Hey Jim,

I'm in the middle of this "restoration" project in which I'm basically wasting a lot of money trying to make a near-perfect 944S. Although I'm generally keeping the spec stock, I decided to make improvements in the suspension and brakes (turbo) areas.

For the front, I have the Paragon ARHK with 300 lb/in springs, Koni inserts and Ground Control camber plates. I also have the 968 caster blocks and new OEM control arm bushings.

At the rear, I have bought Koni shocks and 28 mm torsion bars. I was going to put the Welt bushings in, but now I am sure that I'm not, it is too much work to have to do it over.

I still have to decide on what to do about anti-roll bars, and I still have to get the extended ball joint kit to prepare the control arms for lowering.

Thanks for pointing out the difference in cost with the RE bushings. It sort of says it all, doesn't it? It looks like I will bite the bullet on this too (something I say all too frequently!)

Thanks!
Old 03-15-2006, 12:42 PM
dgz924s
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The problem with Weltmeister is the products are for mild suspension upgrades. Meaning for street car only applications. If used to AX or CR they simply are not up to the task, especially in a Porsche suspension design. But even the street use only has had some less than stellar reports as well.

I found the installation of the RE Delrins went very smooth, had more pain in removing the OE bushings. There is one spot on the car that Welts must be used because no one else makes the part except in high end parts but that is the rear A arm bushing, all else can be had in Delrins. Buy a 30 dollar bushing get a 30 dollar result, this does apply on bushings in this case.

The Delrins are JUST bearable on the street(RR tracks, ruts, etc) so if you don't mind a jolt or two go for it. Having said that it does help to have less spring rate but my 400#'ers have my Dentist planning his next purchase for a Porsche!

Dal
Old 03-15-2006, 12:52 PM
dgz924s
Three Wheelin'

Allan
The sway bar bushings are available in Delrin for both bars. I have a set of rear 19mm new I may not need after all, but will know soon.

Dal
Old 03-15-2006, 04:03 PM
Mike S
Three Wheelin'

Ohh...those rear bushings....brings back nightmares. I replaced mine with the ER ones, but getting the old bushings and sleeves out was brutal. I was pounding on that thing with a hammer and socket to get them out. The sleeve was mildly rusted and made it almost welded to the aluminum.
Old 03-15-2006, 04:21 PM
pete95zhn
Former Vendor

Received 108 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by shiners780
Hey Brian,

I am eliminating the torsion bars and installing Leda coilovers.

The trailing arms have been disconnected from the torsion tube, and the lower shock mounting bolts are removed. The trailing arms are being supported by jack stands. Brake flex hoses are disconnected, and rear section of exhaust is out. Seems like this should be fine, as long as nothing's connected to the torsion tube, no?

I don't see the cross bar with 4 bolts that you refer to. I'll look again.

Grrrrr.
I did all this last winter...deleted t-bars,installed Ledas,replaced all bushings with Porsche originals and Weltmeisters.Those Welts lasted at least last summer well,I'll drive also next summer with them and open all joints again next winter...I'm curious to see how they are.
BTW, I had to use 2 meters of 2"x4" to pry out the driver's side of torsion tube...
Old 03-15-2006, 09:10 PM
dgz924s
Three Wheelin'

Rear bushings......I went the pnuematic route on my OE bushings and they still put up a respectable battle! The hardened rubber baked on the sleeves makes that sleeve even harder to deal with.
Old 03-24-2006, 05:38 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Jim, Dal and all,

Based on what you guys have said, I've ordered the Racer's Edge derlin bushings and will leave the Welts I have on the shelf.

I'm curious to know what you did for lubircation and how it has held up Dal (or anyone else with RE derlins).

Thanks!

Last edited by 500; 03-24-2006 at 06:08 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-24-2006, 07:29 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by amjf088
Jim, Dal and all,

Based on what you guys have said, I've ordered the Racer's Edge derlin bushings and will leave the Welts I have on the shelf.

I'm curious to know what you did for lubircation and how it has held up Dal (or anyone else with RE derlins).

Thanks!
Included with your RE bushings will be an installation instruction sheet. It specifies using a grease containing molybdenum disulfide particles. I bought a tub at Auto Zone for something like $4.

You'll also need a brake honing tool ($10), also available at auto parts stores, to hone the inside of the castings of the torsion tube and spring plate covers. Get one that spreads to at least 3 inches (I think the one I got spreads to 4 inches). Since the honing stones that come on the larger sized tools are so long, I cut them off with a dremel, and attached some shorter replacement stones ($5).

Also, figure on having the bushings pressed onto the spring plates. Most auto repair shops should have a press. I went to Firestone, since they're close by, and they pressed them on no problem.

Pics of spring plate cover, the one on right has been honed, the one on left hasn't been honed. Spring plate with RE delrin bushings pressed on.
Attached Images   
Old 03-25-2006, 05:59 AM
dgz924s
Three Wheelin'

I used a light weight moly lube and the bushing thus far are holding up very well. I thought my rear sway bar bushings rounded out but after a better look they are fine as well.

Only issue I have is the ride on the street, especially when cold.

In my case I did not need to hone, just my press.

Dal
Old 03-26-2006, 11:29 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

That's some good info guys, thanks!

Quick Reply: torsion tube removal question