Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Powertech's in house chip?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2006 | 07:08 PM
devilsfan
7th Gear

Question Powertech's in house chip?

I'm new here, just purchased my 1990 944 cab a few weekends ago. I'm getting some work done on it by PowerTech in Rockaway NJ. They were suggesting that I get their In House chip, its about $360. Anyone here know about this "powertech" chip software? I ran some searches and see a lot of "fors" and "against" chips in general, but I was wondering about this powertech chip specifically. Anyone running it?

Here's what powertech said about their chip:
"We have our own chip that we burn in house for your application. It is priced lower than the Upsolute software and works better as well. The cost is around $360 + tax installed parts and labor and the gains are around +/- 18 hp"

I'll post some pictures, I'm working on getting a new dig cam. It's black with leather burgundy interior. Nice shape, I bought it with 72,800 miles on her for $8k.

Thanks in advance for everyone's help!
Old 03-11-2006 | 07:58 PM
nickg
Three Wheelin'

buy the one off ebay for 25. it is an autothority copy. works great and is cheap. IMHO powertech is an over priced place, they get big $ for everything...messed up a freinds calipers to the point of them being junk and I personally haven't had much good dealings with them(way back too to promotion...) tale your car to Haupt Strasse motors in monroe ny...better work and it will cost less. there you aren't gonna be another porsche guy...like the 50 others they dealt with...the owner personally works on the car. and he is ****.....if you want to know more pm me.
Old 03-12-2006 | 12:26 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Counterpoint:
I've been having my car serviced at Powertech since I bought it back in 2001. I have always been very, very satisfied with their work. They have helped me and have always been very reasonable, especially with the higher costing maintenance items like when they replaced my cracked head.

A couple of times I left my car there after something happened on the track - once my H2O pump went on me at Watkins Glen. Instead of bringing it home, I parked it at Powertech. By the next day, they had it fixed. Whem my aforementioned cracked head occurred (again at The Glen), I dropped it off at Powetech and they started working on it the next day.

I have had them do a ton of work on my car, and they have always been able to meet my needs. Granted, sometimes it took them some time (like when they hunted down my fan switch electrical issues) but they have always done good for me.

That said, I do not have any experience with their house chip - I'll be attending the NNJR tech inspector's workshop / track ops group meeting tomorrow - I'll have to look into what this chip can do for my car...

-Zoltan.
Old 03-12-2006 | 12:28 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

First, let's see your car at the NNJR Hot Grill meet in two weeks-second, do they custom burn on the dyno a chip for your car? 18hp on top of your 208 brings you close to stock 968 territory; 18hp may be possible with a true dyno burned chip but seems high for a 'regular' chip upgrade. Check out Promax if you're looking for a 'regular' chip upgrade too.
Old 03-12-2006 | 12:38 PM
horsepowerfarm
Rennlist Member

They have a dyno, just have them do a baseline run, then have them install the chip. If it doesn't meet their claim, pass on the chip and you will only be out the cost of the two runs.

Let us know how it works out.
Old 03-12-2006 | 08:37 PM
Z-man
Race Director

I am considering it. I did speak with Daino today about the chip - he is saying that it should give me an additional 18hp at the crank, which would equate to ~10hp additional at the wheels. Not too bad a power gain, but I'm not sure if I want to go that route - much rather put that $$ towards new track tires, brake pads...etc.

-Z

Quick Reply: Powertech's in house chip?