Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Groaning noise from ps system.

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2002 | 08:53 PM
Type_LT
Burning Brakes

Post Groaning noise from ps system.

It was about 22f this morning when I started my car, the power steering pump or rack was groaning and it didn't stop until it warmed up. The fluid is was flushed about 3 months ago, nice new sythetic power steering fluid. I checked the reservoir, there was plenty of fluid but it was foamy, I turned the steering lock to lock a couple times. So whats goin' on? Is it just too cold for the poor little 16 year old pump?
Old 11-28-2002 | 11:37 PM
Pilot Dave
Advanced

My 1984 944 takes automatic transmission fluid (Dexron II) for the power steering not power steering fluid. Check the specs on the 951 and see if you should use ATF.

Also, there is a filter in the reservoir. If that filter gets clogged, cold fluid that is running thickly won't make it through the filter. The PS pump will cavitate. As far as I can tell the only way to change the filter is to replace the entire reservoir.
Old 11-28-2002 | 11:41 PM
sm
Drifting

I believe you should use Dextron II or III ATF, not synthetic. There was a thread a while ago saying to stay away from Synthetic fluids for the ps system...

I added some Castrol Dextron III ATF to my gf's car which had the same exact symptoms, and so far so good. Can you believe Lexus wants $130+ for a ps reservoir????!! I wonder if one of our reservoirs can fit her car?
Old 11-28-2002 | 11:45 PM
User 41221
Banned

My pump made a groaning noise on my '86 951 for a bit, and had the same foaming problem. On mine, it turned out that the belt adjuster had broken and the pump was loose. Installed a new adjuster and the problem went away.

I am not sure about the synthetic power steering fluid... I have always used ATF in my cars, and I don't have any problems, aside from the low pressure hoses, which tend to go bad from what I can tell (I have had to replace that hose on all three of my cars).

Regards, ...Scott
Old 11-29-2002 | 11:46 AM
Type_LT
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the reply's, yeah I wondered if the synthetic was the problem. Sometime I'll slap some ATF in there, did't really think twice when I put the power steering fluid in. I replaced one hose that was dangerously close to the ps belt, it had rubbed against the belt for some time.

sm: i've seen that reservoir in so many cars, tvr uses it in their tuscan, and i've seen it in a few exotics. It must be "the" european power steering reservoir.
Old 11-29-2002 | 12:09 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

I think I would flush that synthetic PS fluid out sooner rather than later. Like in the next hour!

I was told that it will attack the rubber seals and I know Thad lost his rack to leaking within days of making that mistake. Better safe than sorry.
Old 11-29-2002 | 12:52 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Yeah, they say use Dextron III for a reason! Also, make sure none of your belts are crimped... but I'm guessing it's the fluid.

-Matt
Old 11-29-2002 | 12:56 PM
Type_LT
Burning Brakes

I just defiled a turkey baster, I'll drive the car some today and keep rotating the STP ps fluid out with Dextron ATF. The ps fluid I had in there was pretty damn thick, and after checking the bottle it wasn't synthetic, just regular old PS fluid so I'm hoping it didn't turn the seals into mush!
Old 03-12-2006 | 04:33 PM
Shark_gts
Racer

Default Cleaning the Power Steering tank

We just had foaming due to inlet restriction causing pump cavitation (sucks a vacuum = bubbles)

I cleaned the reservoir (off the car) using a solvent and backflushing, using compressed air too. Also used LPS #1 as a cleaning agent before reassebly.

The inlet pipe had kinked and was restricted - fixed that too.

An increase in viscosity, such as using Lucas which I did, aggravates the pump supply issue. However if the pump is well supplied, Lucas will boost pressures and improve steering performance.

Paul Jager
www.jageng/com/944S.htm
Old 03-12-2006 | 05:29 PM
Mike B
Done With Sidepatch
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sh944
My pump made a groaning noise on my '86 951 for a bit, and had the same foaming problem. On mine, it turned out that the belt adjuster had broken and the pump was loose. Installed a new adjuster and the problem went away...
A similar thing here. One of my steering pump mounting nuts decided to take a hike leaving the pump and belt loose. Groaning and foaming were the symptoms. My return line from the reservoir was also shot.
Old 03-12-2006 | 05:55 PM
pgm944
Cruisin'

Oh shoot!
Here's the problem of an over-eager kids. My son heard a "noise" from the PS. He added regular PS fluid to it. Subsequently, it's been leaking (pump or rack, don't know). And it GROANS when cold, just like Type_LT described.

So - looks like I should do a full R&R on both the pump and rack by replacing all the seals. What else should I replace. Yes, I'm thinking of replacing the reservoir just because it's from 1987. Hoses?

btw - I really can't blame my son, as I probably would of been clueless as well to ATF vs PS fluid.
Old 03-12-2006 | 10:42 PM
Stephenwz968
Three Wheelin'

I replaced my pump when it was moaning for about a month, and then threw up all the ATF through the reservoir...the new pump and fluid made it good as new.

Steve

Quick Reply: Groaning noise from ps system.