Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sunroof switch / relay or fuse, whats causing my sunroof not to work?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2006, 03:17 PM
fmalgapo
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Sunroof switch / relay or fuse, whats causing my sunroof not to work?

My '84 has a pwr tilt sunroof, factory of course. Since I got it back from the bodyshop, it hasn't worked and they had verified all the connections were good. I told them I'd take it home and see if I can figure it out, probably a fuse or relay.

Well as it turns out, looking through the Porsche Workshop manual for our cars, there is no sunroof fuse or relay that I could find? The sunroof did work prior to my bodyshop visit, now it does not. They did remove the panel to paint the car and I did notice they had much of the headliner out so I thought maybe they futzed around in there, but they attest they reconnect it all.

Is there a fuse or relay I'm missing. I will pull the switch out today to see how the contacts are but I have a feeling the switch is fine.
Old 03-11-2006, 03:40 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 172 Posts

Bloody complicated item, this sunroof. Archives will have a bunch of specific info, but...

You might try pushing up on the little tongue in the center front inside. There is a microswitch in there that comes out of alignment. If the switch is not depressed (actually up from inside the car), then the system thinks there is no sunroof present, acts inoperative. It's worth a quick try.
Old 03-11-2006, 07:10 PM
TheMAXX
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My guess would be that they didn’t know how to remove the sunroof which they had to do to paint the car so they took the headliner apart to get at the mechanics of it to get the sunroof out. If it worked fine before you took it in then they probably broke it.

The main relay that controls the sunroof on an 84 also provides power to the radio if you still have the stock wiring in place for that. So does your radio work?

Do you know where the sunroof motor is?

Just trying to establish some basics rather the trying to type all of the posabilities.
Old 03-11-2006, 07:46 PM
fmalgapo
Instructor

Well it turned out to be the button...IIRC there used to be a round button in the center front section of the frame of the sunroof on the body of the car (if u can understand all that). It used to be a button, now it is a small metal tab that I had to push my finger nail in to get the motor to respond to the switch. So the motor and switch are good...but I think the physical button is missing...
Old 03-11-2006, 07:49 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 172 Posts

That's the spot I was talking about. It's become my "check this first" item on these sunroofs. Glad it's not more complicated than that.
Old 03-11-2006, 08:05 PM
fmalgapo
Instructor

Thanks Dave and TheMAXX!
Old 03-11-2006, 09:10 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 184 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by fmalgapo
Well it turned out to be the button...IIRC there used to be a round button in the center front section of the frame of the sunroof on the body of the car (if u can understand all that). It used to be a button, now it is a small metal tab that I had to push my finger nail in to get the motor to respond to the switch. So the motor and switch are good...but I think the physical button is missing...

You found the early 944 G-spot. Good luck keeping that early design working well.
Old 08-25-2023, 01:19 AM
estruble75
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sunroof switch

Originally Posted by fmalgapo
My '84 has a pwr tilt sunroof, factory of course. Since I got it back from the bodyshop, it hasn't worked and they had verified all the connections were good. I told them I'd take it home and see if I can figure it out, probably a fuse or relay.

Well as it turns out, looking through the Porsche Workshop manual for our cars, there is no sunroof fuse or relay that I could find? The sunroof did work prior to my bodyshop visit, now it does not. They did remove the panel to paint the car and I did notice they had much of the headliner out so I thought maybe they futzed around in there, but they attest they reconnect it all.

Is there a fuse or relay I'm missing. I will pull the switch out today to see how the contacts are but I have a feeling the switch is fine.
Do you know how to remove the switch?

Quick Reply: Sunroof switch / relay or fuse, whats causing my sunroof not to work?