Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ignition Coil Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 11:02 PM
willmapp
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition Coil Question

I might be an idiot or stupid, but here goes.

Last weekend after replacing the rotors and bearings, I decided to replace the ignition wires, cap/rotors, and plugs.

While pulling out the wire that runs from the distributor cap to the ignition coil, I heard an audible POP!

When I looked at the wire, it appeared that the electrode was stuck in the plug wire, meaning that I pulled it out of the ignition coil.

So, I got pissed off and ordered a new coil and threw away the old wire. I received my new ignition coil today and lo and behold there was no electrode in this one either. Does the wire that plugs into the ignition coil contain an electrode, if so, how come the shiny red magnecor wire I just ordered does not have an electode attached?

Am I going crazy or do I need to return the magnecors? Or the ignition coil.

The coil is a Bosch coil, PN944-602-115-00.

Thanks in advance,
Will
Old 03-08-2006, 11:50 PM
GlenL
Nordschleife Master

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Do you have a picture or can you find one on-line to discuss? Was there a bit stuck to the wire that could be pulled off?
Old 11-25-2006, 04:44 PM
U-30AT
Instructor

Originally Posted by willmapp
I might be an idiot or stupid, but here goes.

Last weekend after replacing the rotors and bearings, I decided to replace the ignition wires, cap/rotors, and plugs.

While pulling out the wire that runs from the distributor cap to the ignition coil, I heard an audible POP!

When I looked at the wire, it appeared that the electrode was stuck in the plug wire, meaning that I pulled it out of the ignition coil.

So, I got pissed off and ordered a new coil and threw away the old wire. I received my new ignition coil today and lo and behold there was no electrode in this one either. Does the wire that plugs into the ignition coil contain an electrode, if so, how come the shiny red magnecor wire I just ordered does not have an electode attached?

Am I going crazy or do I need to return the magnecors? Or the ignition coil.

The coil is a Bosch coil, PN944-602-115-00.

Thanks in advance,
Will
just did the same thing BUT haven't oredered a new coil yet...what gives anybody? i'm installing Clewitt wires. If upgrading the wires must one order a newer model coil e.g. an 89?
Old 11-25-2006, 11:41 PM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it belongs to the wire and thats odd the new ones don't have one.
Old 11-27-2006, 01:04 AM
U-30AT
Instructor

new wire has a non solid electrode that performs the purpose of old wires solid electrode so no need for new ignition coil

Quick Reply: Ignition Coil Question