Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PICS: My fixed headlights

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006 | 12:13 PM
shmucklebuckle
Three Wheelin'

Default PICS: My fixed headlights

Several of you have PM'ed me asking for pictures of my fixed headlight setup. Currently, I have http://gt-racing.com fiberglass buckets, metal bucket brackets, and lexan covers.

The lights are crappy, I got them on eBay, as part of a Toyota Corolla headlight kit. I of course threw away the plastic buckets for the Corolla that they came with. I needed to make a sub-bracket to hold the lights. I used sheet metal, but it's not as thick as it should be... the lights vibrate at certain low RPM's (sub-950ish), or whenever I hit rough pavement/bumps. I don't know how to go about making a thicker and simpler alluminum bracket for them. I would love that.

The covers are painted black on the upper and under side, with a clear coat over the entire top surface to protect from the sun's evil plastic yellowing rays. It is held in place with 4 DZUS 1/4 turn fasteners that are stock fairing hardware for a Triumph Daytona T595. I work at a motorcycle dealership, so these were an easy find for me. The "female" clips for the screws are on some alluminum angle I picked up from Home Depot and cut to width. I spent a good number of hours putting each clip in exactly the right spot so the hole lined up with my paint scheme, and the height matched the body lines around the cover.

At some point in the future, when I run out of other problems to deal with on my car (ha) I may re-fab the sub-brackets with another material. Who knows.

Anyways, on to the fun part. Please excuse the dust showing up on the painted stuffs.

Old 03-06-2006 | 12:29 PM
Royalty
Banned

badass, now time to mass produce!
Old 03-06-2006 | 12:35 PM
eohrnberger
Rennlist Member

Yea, you could mass produce them now, but the vibration is still an issue, and I've not seen or read about how you would go about adjusting the headlights to point them correcty. I'm sure that missing information is merely an minor oversight.
Old 03-06-2006 | 01:34 PM
Daily944
Racer

Those look great! The time and effort shows and I think it really paid off. Have you been able to locate the vibrating? A simple fix could be to use rubber grommets on the mounting screw/bolts that hold the buckets in place.

They do look really sharp!
Old 03-06-2006 | 02:24 PM
shmucklebuckle
Three Wheelin'

The vibrating is from the sub-bracket design. I should have simply used a thicker material. As far as mass producing them is concerned, I don't know how to do that efficiently. I had to make each bracket (L and R) seperately, as in, I couldn't make one, measure, and just reverse the measurments for the other side. This is for two reasons: 1st, the fiberglass buckets aren't exactly the same, and 2nd, I hit a guard rail on the right front corner, requiring frame straightening, all new body work, and did I mention frame straightening. What a PITA that was! So, my buckets didn't line up exactly the same on both sides.

Also re the alignment: I used the Corolla buckets as a template for drilling and cutting holes to receive the lights and threaded adjustment posts. You can see the plastic nuts on the back, and the springs on the front that allow fine tuning of the aiming. I tried to make the brackets as close as possible, and finished the light aiming with the screws on the back of each light. they line up nicely.
Old 03-06-2006 | 02:35 PM
Mike1982
Drifting

If I was going to this non-pop up headlight, I would think of doing the angle eye look (like BMW's) plus doing a high discharge light or something along those lines since I would re-wire everything in the process.
Old 03-06-2006 | 02:40 PM
shmucklebuckle
Three Wheelin'

The lights I bought have the angel eye feature built in. I chose not to run them, for reasons of personal taste. It looks good on the BMW's when stock, but with this application, I just didn't see it fitting in well. Seemed... ricey.

I swapped the bulbs that the lamps came with for SilverStar brand... I don't remember the exact line, but they were the "best" H7 "white" bulb availible from them. About $20/bulb I believe.
Old 03-06-2006 | 02:47 PM
Mike1982
Drifting

That is cool Trevor. I was thinking of the angle eye because they look like the lights made of it. Would love to see a night time shot is possible... How is the light compared to stock??
Old 03-06-2006 | 03:31 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

And the award for thorough documentation goes to .....shmucklebuckle!

Thanks
Old 03-06-2006 | 05:31 PM
shmucklebuckle
Three Wheelin'

Old 03-06-2006 | 07:56 PM
F18Rep
Three Wheelin'

Very interesting Trevor. Thanks, Bruce
Old 03-06-2006 | 09:04 PM
inactiveuser92616
Drifting

post up some pictures of the light throw pattern. I am curious as to how that bend in the cover diffracts the light.

Quick Reply: PICS: My fixed headlights