Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any video geeks out there? Need advice on racecar vid setup

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 09:24 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Any video geeks out there? Need advice on racecar vid setup

This is only really semi-OT, as it's for my racecar! I'm looking into the next step with my video setup - are there any boardmembers out there with A/V experience, or experience with security TV systems, etc, that can help provide guidance?

I already have the one camera setup; works OK, but it's biggest/only limitation is the resolution of the video recording - only 320x240. OK for internet display, but that's about it.

I want to add a second camera to capture the view out the rear. I am happy with the video signal incoming, and plan to get a second camera duplicating what I have - the main question is recording device.

I have the choice of simply replicating my current setup by adding a second DVR; I have the Audiovox PVR1000:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...Fencoding=UTF8

Amazon likewise sells a Mustek version, same thing basically, for $105 currently - not a bad deal.

OTOH, if I could get a higher-res DVR, that'd be better - use the current one for rear video, and the better/newer one for the front. A solid-state DVR is preferred, since recording to a flash card is more durable against the harsh environment in a racecar.

Another thing that'd be brought up by having a higher-res recorder is the potential to use a splitter for PIP; otherwise I'll be taking the two videos and splicing them together after the fact.

Supercircuits.com does have some impressively cheap 4-channel (quad) DVRs:
http://www.supercircuits.com/index.a...S&Category=299

I'm not sure if that'd even really be what would work well for me, but they do note they're popular with law enforcement... not really sure if they record 4 completely separate video signals, or just multiplex them internally.

Anyone out there able to comment on any of this?

Last edited by 924RACR; 03-01-2006 at 11:04 AM.

Quick Reply: Any video geeks out there? Need advice on racecar vid setup