Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3rd gen rx7 vs 951

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 04:07 AM
inactiveuser92616
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was mistaken on the details for the rx7. It is a "79 Mazda RX-7 with a 509 CI Big Block Chevy, probably pushing about 750 HP. It ran a 9.28 at 146 in Phoenix." Straight from the guy's post. He doesn't BS either, he posted his honda;s blistering 15.8@86 as well. Sorry, my memory glorified it somewhat.
Old 03-03-2006, 04:42 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by patrat
I was mistaken on the details for the rx7. It is a "79 Mazda RX-7 with a 509 CI Big Block Chevy, probably pushing about 750 HP. It ran a 9.28 at 146 in Phoenix." Straight from the guy's post. He doesn't BS either, he posted his honda;s blistering 15.8@86 as well. Sorry, my memory glorified it somewhat.
Fair enough... thanks for the info- regardless, a 9.28 is AMAZING!!!! Damn- some of the fastest stock production street cars in the world can barely hit 0-150 in less than 25 seconds & here this guy is almost at that speed by the 1/4 mile & gets there in less than 10 seconds... that's unreal when you think about it... Anything that breaks a sub 13 has my respect b/c that will put most street cars to shame.. M5's & C5 Vettes, etc, are all a hair over 13- the Turbo S was a 14.2, etc... it's all relative... What always amazed me about Ray Lockheads car was that his engine fit under the hood... it was tubbed, etc, but otherwise, could pass for bone stock in the looks department. I'm thinking you could get a fairly streetable RX7 in the low 11's on semi-street tires & have one serious sleeper... Not sure how long it would last... Anyway, it sounds like 300RWHP in a 3rd gen can be reliable if done correctly & wouldn't be too terribly much money. That would be a great car... Not everything has to be able to outrun a Viper to be fast... Also ,the handling of the 3rd Gens was amazing- I've seen several tests w/them pushing 1.0G's...
Old 03-03-2006, 05:13 AM
sillbeer
Pro

200RWHP on an NA 13B is pretty hard. it'd have to be weber carbed, peripheral ported and create enough noise to burst your eardrums. I have a 3 rotor FC, as does my buddy. and they arent slow. =)
Old 03-03-2006, 06:19 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sillbeer
200RWHP on an NA 13B is pretty hard. it'd have to be weber carbed, peripheral ported and create enough noise to burst your eardrums. I have a 3 rotor FC, as does my buddy. and they arent slow. =)
What do you mean by 3-rotor? How many rotors are there normally? I remember an article, years ago, where they dropped another rotary engine in the rear of the car- I wasn't too impressed w/the #'s as they barely broke 500-impressive, but for all the added weight & complexity, it didn't seem worth it to me...

Also, are the FDs sequential TT or what- how do the twin turbo's work? When people change out the turbo, do they keep the twin-turbo configuration or do they go single like the Supra TT world often does?

Has anyone ever actually weighed a rotary engine? Did they change very much from year to year? The 951 engine is really kind of heavy- for years the VR6 has been considered very heavy, but it barely breaks 400lbs- well, the 951 is 404lbs, 944NA, ~355, 3.0L S2, ~375, & 968's a hair under 385. Thus the reason for the 968's better weight dist over 951. I think the LS1 w/aluminum heads is barely >400lbs. The W8 is 419lbs & Carrera GT is 479lbs. Anyway, sorry for all the rambling here- just wondering how much weight the rotary really saves. It's also interesting- those who don't understand rotary's always say it's unreliable, but those who do understand them swear by them as one of the simplest most reliable engines made...

Also, has anyone's turbo charged the new RX8 rotary...? That chassis is far stiffer than any Mazda before- would be an excellent chassis for a 300+RWHP engine, even if one doesn't like it's looks as much- one article said the chassis had enough room b/c of the engine to allow for a front multi-link suspension. The RX7 had a rear multi-link. This is one area the 951 will never catch up. I've always wanted someone to put a 928 multi-link in a 951, but I'm sure it would cost a fortune.

This thread is making me want a 3rd Gen RX7 again... Does anyone else think a newer Miata front end w/out pop-up headlights would look good on one? Has anyone ever seen an RX7 w/out pop-ups?
Old 03-03-2006, 06:20 AM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

All U. S. rotaries are 2 rotor while some of the Japanese motors in the Cosmos had the 3 rotors. My former business partner used to street port, peripheral port, and bridgeport these motors back in the days. I just had to buy the cars for him to build it. There was a kid who built an RX2 with a junkyard motor and did 12 second quarters. We used to joke around and told him the only reason his car went so fast was because of the rust holes lightening effect on his car. I think in total he spent less than $1500 on the car including the bolt in cage.

I have a picture of a 1981 rx7 we built 13 years ago with a 454CI chevy bigblock/turbo 400 trans in it. The hood shut with a small slit cutout for the carburetor air intake. I took the car apart a long time ago but still have the custom crossmember and driveshaft that goes straight from the turbo 400 and bolts directly to the rx7 diff. If I had to do it all over again, I would shove a turbo V6 from a buick type T instead of the bigblock. Maybe one day...
Old 03-03-2006, 12:06 PM
Zeff
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Robby
What do you mean by 3-rotor? How many rotors are there normally? I remember an article, years ago, where they dropped another rotary engine in the rear of the car- I wasn't too impressed w/the #'s as they barely broke 500-impressive, but for all the added weight & complexity, it didn't seem worth it to me...

Also, are the FDs sequential TT or what- how do the twin turbo's work? When people change out the turbo, do they keep the twin-turbo configuration or do they go single like the Supra TT world often does?

Has anyone ever actually weighed a rotary engine? Did they change very much from year to year? The 951 engine is really kind of heavy- for years the VR6 has been considered very heavy, but it barely breaks 400lbs- well, the 951 is 404lbs, 944NA, ~355, 3.0L S2, ~375, & 968's a hair under 385. Thus the reason for the 968's better weight dist over 951. I think the LS1 w/aluminum heads is barely >400lbs. The W8 is 419lbs & Carrera GT is 479lbs. Anyway, sorry for all the rambling here- just wondering how much weight the rotary really saves. It's also interesting- those who don't understand rotary's always say it's unreliable, but those who do understand them swear by them as one of the simplest most reliable engines made...

Also, has anyone's turbo charged the new RX8 rotary...? That chassis is far stiffer than any Mazda before- would be an excellent chassis for a 300+RWHP engine, even if one doesn't like it's looks as much- one article said the chassis had enough room b/c of the engine to allow for a front multi-link suspension. The RX7 had a rear multi-link. This is one area the 951 will never catch up. I've always wanted someone to put a 928 multi-link in a 951, but I'm sure it would cost a fortune.

This thread is making me want a 3rd Gen RX7 again... Does anyone else think a newer Miata front end w/out pop-up headlights would look good on one? Has anyone ever seen an RX7 w/out pop-ups?

If you get an FD get the 99 front lip without the tag mount. That > everything
Old 03-03-2006, 06:04 PM
J1NX3D
Three Wheelin'

Received 117 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by JEC_31
It's just lingo - just like "951" is easier to say/type quickly that "944 Turbo".

RX-7 chassis codes & descriptions trivia:

SA22 = 1st generation 1978 through 1980, identified by primitive little tailights and stamped depression for license plate in body above bumper. Earliest, slowest, but lightest RX-7. Live rear axle, carburated peppy and reliable "12A" motor. Mint examples in rare colors (green, orange, yellow) are sought after by collectors.

FB = 1981 through 1985, same 1st-generation body with nicer smooth tailights and license plate moved down to bumper. More options available (4-wheel discs and limited slip on GSL models. Larger 13B fuel-injected motor in 84-85 GSL-SE model - the pinnacle of the first generation.

FC3DS = 2nd generation 1986 though 1991 (although few leftover 91s were titled as 92s), this is the car that was designed and built to compete with the 944. Fully independent suspension, 4-wheel discs, fuel-injection 13B motor, direct coil ignition, and the Turbo version just screamed. Many models and options, including the only RX-7 convertibles.

FD3S = 3rd generation 1993 to 1995 (although a very few early near-prototype cars were sold early and wrongly titled as 92s), the drop-dead-gorgeous super-slinky body with a exotic-level fast but notoriously self-destructive twin-turbo version of the 13B. Was still sold in Japan until 1999 (?).
heh, we call them Series 1 to 6 down here in NZ and Aussie rather than 1st - 3rd generations. Theres even 3 guises of the FD (series 6) that get called series 7 & 8!

Quick Reply: 3rd gen rx7 vs 951