Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hatch Reseal: Need a glass shop reccomendation.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2006, 12:54 PM
shmucklebuckle
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hatch Reseal: Need a glass shop reccomendation.

My hatch needs resealing. There's no way I'm going to chance dropping the damn thing or bending my alluminum frame just to save some money. No thanks. I'll pay someone a couple hundred bucks, and then when they drop it, they can buy me a new one instead.

Has anyone had this done by a shop in SoCal and approved of the results and service of said shop?

Last edited by shmucklebuckle; 02-26-2006 at 05:10 PM.
Old 02-27-2006, 01:57 PM
shmucklebuckle
Three Wheelin'

bump
Old 02-27-2006, 04:02 PM
icat
Race Car

You are laboring under the misconception that we do this job ourselves to save money. That's not the reason - but you did state it, just wrong party. The reason so many of us do the job ourselves is that no glass shop will touch the job because they don't want to be on the hook for the glass if it breaks. Even if you can find a shop to take on the job they will insist on a release from liability.
Old 02-27-2006, 04:08 PM
shmucklebuckle
Three Wheelin'

/sigh

At least it isn't leaking...yet.
Old 02-28-2006, 01:05 PM
icat
Race Car

I'm taking my SUV in to have it's windshield replaced today. I'll check with them and see what they say. I need to have mine resealed as well. Maybe there is some new fangled invention that will do the trick. I doubt it, but it never hurts to ask.
Old 02-28-2006, 01:23 PM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I am about to have my hatch resealed in a couple of weeks by a shop here in South Carolina, I know your in Cali. but thought you might want to read what this shop has told me. He said he will do it, and its going to cost about $150-$200 depending on what he runs into. He said he will use the best stuff that all the new cars are using unless his supplier suggests something else for this specific application. He is also going to recreate the black edge that is baked on the edge of the glass at the factory. He did tell me though that there is a possibility of breaking the glass and in that situation he can't be held responsible, but he said he doesn't think that will happen but he has to tell me that before.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:02 PM
shmucklebuckle
Three Wheelin'

icat and potent - I would greatly appreciate it! $200 sounds completely reasonable to me, especially for the quality installation and previous knowledge of a pro. Don't they have really heavy duty suction grips to grab the glass with? I would imagine that with some experience and those things, it would go a LOT smoother than it would in my garage with a friend helping.

Please do let me know what you find out!
Old 02-28-2006, 11:28 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Any shop that has ever done a reseal job on one of these hatches would not likely do it for under 500-600 bucks. It is a minimum of a 4 hour job (and more likely up to 8 hours depending on how stubborn the frame is) to seperate the glass from the frame, clean it up, and reseal it.

My point: I would get that estimate in writing, because I bet it will go up very fast once the guy realizes what is involved with one of these hatches.

I have seperated and prepped quite a few frames, the quickest was about 4 hours, and the longest was about 10. One of them resulted in a busted hatch.

edit: I personally wouldn't touch a hatch for under 800 bucks. Also, even at wholesale prices, the glass shop will spend a minimum of 50 bucks in 3m materials for the job.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:42 PM
icat
Race Car

Glass shop that did the SUV today said to take it to the dealer. Now that was useful - NOT.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:48 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If there is a GTG project here in socal on everyone's lists, this is prolly #2.

I think the best solution for my limited space is to get one to "rehab" off the car, and swap with my current hatch. Damn! I thought I had gotten away from my spring worklist...

A "trade out" program would be pretty cool, except the first person to break theirs would most likely "inherit" the swaping hatch.

Even my 83' is starting to leak
Old 03-01-2006, 12:55 AM
shmucklebuckle
Three Wheelin'

Damn. This is starting to suck, alot. I guess if I don't have any other option... DIY. $800 is just insane.

So, this begs the question(s):

1) Which 3M products are needed for cleaning and affixing of glass/frame?
2) Where do I get super-human glass suction cups, as well as the materials needed?
Old 03-01-2006, 01:22 AM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

c'mon... archives, clarks, pel..., well you get it. pretend it's not a gavel but a baseball bat and he's only smiling because he's on a public forum.
Old 03-01-2006, 01:26 AM
shmucklebuckle
Three Wheelin'

edit - *cough* oh, right. I knew that.
Old 03-01-2006, 01:43 AM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just sold the one off my parts car here in Georgia for $11.50...kicking myself for not starting that auction at a higher price. It did leak a little at the corners - nothing a little silicone in the right spot wouldn't fix...
Old 03-01-2006, 09:22 AM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by shmucklebuckle
Damn. This is starting to suck, alot. I guess if I don't have any other option... DIY. $800 is just insane.

So, this begs the question(s):

1) Which 3M products are needed for cleaning and affixing of glass/frame?
2) Where do I get super-human glass suction cups, as well as the materials needed?
I did a hatch reseal procedure if you do a seach. I haven't finished it yet, as this winter I haven't done any more hatches, but it lists the 3m chemicals you will need. Should be sealing some hatches up here in the next couple of months, so i will finish it then.

Quick Reply: Hatch Reseal: Need a glass shop reccomendation.