Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why a 944

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2006, 07:34 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My two cents:

The early cars have that go-kart, all manual effect which can be a lot of fun. However, at high speed they have their compromises. All too often, in hard braking situations at high speed the early cars will skid. At least that has been my experience in 10+ years with a 1983 944.

That's why Porsche offered the ABS option from 1987, I think it was standard on all US cars, but not in Europe. If you're going to drive fast, you will want ABS.
Old 02-26-2006, 11:23 AM
nineeagles
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll probably ruffle some feathers by saying this as everyone loves 'their' year, but I would say that you should go with something post 85.5 as they have all the upgrades and the newer dash....some even assert that 85.5 is when the 944 became a 'true' Porsche.

Anything before that has one foot still stuck in 924....still stuck in Audi-land.

After owning a 79 924 and then getting my 84 944, there is a big difference in these two models. I don't feel that the 944 is from "Audi-land" at all. The early 924 was definately an Audi-land car but the 944 showed me that. Although the interiors are the same, the exterior and power difference made me take notice. I am also one of those who prefer the early style interior. JMO
Old 02-26-2006, 03:00 PM
944S2NUT
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hehe, if some ppl think that the new dashboard make the 85.5+ a true porsche, they have issues . I find that my moms 84 handles nicer than my S2.
Old 02-26-2006, 03:39 PM
panzer grey
Instructor

"If you're going to drive fast, you will want ABS."

I was under the impression that experienced drivers prefer to NOT have ABS....that an expereinced human can modulate the brakes much better than any cpu. I've even read articles where they advise disabling the ABS when you are on the track.

As to the 'new dashboard' making it a Porsche, I mis-spoke- I meant to say that the 944 was called a 'true' Porsche as compared to the 924....not the early 944's compared to the later ones.

Although it is worth noting that more than just the dashboard changed in 85. They changed the mounting of the transaxle to reduce noise and vibration, the ergonomics, the oil sump capacity, the control arms and trailing arms, the air conditioning, the antennae, the alternator, fuel tank capacity, the starter, the front windshield, and more that I'm forgetting.
Old 02-26-2006, 04:03 PM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by beeg
All you turbo guys are wimps!
Go the n/a, manual steering lots of fun route!!
Screw the boost! {sorry Kevin!}, besides, I couldn't aford the fines anyway!
Or one of each!
Old 02-26-2006, 04:09 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When I bought my 924S, I bought it because it was a cheap Porsche... I later found it to be one of the two...

HOWEVER Like everyone has said, the car is VERY forgiving. it's easy to handle, handles BEAUTIFULLY. it's very sporty, and after a polish, you'll be turning heads... Doesn't have ungodly ammounts of power (the NA) but it's definately a momentum car... The turbo however, is a momentum car, that builds the momentum VERY quickly, espescially if you add minor modifications.

As others have said, the interior of the car is what I like most. Yes, the 924S has the "ugly" early dash, but ya know, I really like it. and when you're sitting there, the shifter is in the perfect position, as is the steering wheel... which is non-adjustable, but who cares? overall, I'm never getting rid of my 924S. it's got a special place in my heart, and I'm coming up on 4 years of ownership next month... when I'm in California (party on!). This is the only car I've had that's been able to keep my attention for longer than a year. I love it.
Old 02-26-2006, 04:30 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by panzer grey
"If you're going to drive fast, you will want ABS."

I was under the impression that experienced drivers prefer to NOT have ABS....that an expereinced human can modulate the brakes much better than any cpu. I've even read articles where they advise disabling the ABS when you are on the track.
Not many intersections on the track, but hey, if you can do that in the nick of time to avoid a front end collision, more power to you. Myself, I'll stick with ABS for everyday driving.
Old 02-26-2006, 04:42 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Personally a fan of the early-style cars here. Far more simple, unpretentious and basic/raw. Oh, they're lighter also. . .

I don't mind the later cars but I get a little irritated constantly having to defend my early 944 from the guys that bash it as "Audorshe" or "Porsudi" or whatever. . . ALL the 944 line (and the 968s) were built at the Audi factory, not Porsche's. No more or less a "real Porsche" than the rest of the 944s, IMO.

Either is a good car. Early or late, turbo or non. For a daily driver I'd absolutely suggest an n/a though - turbos can be a pain in the rear end to work on. . .

Oh, the early cars typically have parts that are less expensive also - just something to think about.
Old 02-26-2006, 05:19 PM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I saw a pristine early dash yesterday and it looked fantastic! I think the early dash gets a bad rap because so many of them are cracked and in poor condition...
Originally Posted by Porsche-O-Phile
ALL the 944 line (and the 968s) were built at the Audi factory, not Porsche's. No more or less a "real Porsche" than the rest of the 944s, IMO.
Actually, the 968s were built at Zuffenhausen in Stuttgart - along side the 928. If you notice the 11th digit on VIN, the 944 have an "N" for the Neckarsulm factory, but the 968 have an "S" -- well, except for a couple of prototypes.... Still used some Audi/VW (and the occasional Mercedes) components, though...
Old 02-26-2006, 05:28 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

Actually, some of the late 91 and "92" S2 models were built in Stuttgart I believe. Ok, so the 944 wasn't assembled next to the 911...big deal! Where was it designed and by whom? The Boxsters are assembled in Finland aren't they?? Are they not Porsche? Besides...who owns Audi??? Come on, its all the same family! People that have the nerve to say a car is "any less" of a car because it was assembled somewhere else are just trying to justify something to themselves. I won't get into that though!
Old 02-26-2006, 09:08 PM
panzer grey
Instructor

"Not many intersections on the track,"

No, there are not....but you still have to brake once in a while.

" but hey, if you can do that in the nick of time to avoid a front end collision, more power to you. Myself, I'll stick with ABS for everyday driving."

I was under the impression that the thread starter was not looking for an 'everyday driver', and that was the context in which I spoke.

Getting back to the orginal question, I took it to mean 'what is the quintessential 944?" -the essence of the 944 in its purest and most concentrated form.

That criteria would rule out the turbos...and the cabs.

And since it was the later dash 944's that really put the 944 on the map ( especially in the U.S.), the later dashers having sold volumes more, and the 944/2's that sat perfectly between the original 944 and all the later incarnations- the 944/2 would be a good candidate for the 'quintessential 944' ...and the color would probably have to be Guards Red.

Last edited by panzer grey; 02-26-2006 at 09:18 PM. Reason: added info
Old 02-26-2006, 11:07 PM
rbennett
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by beeg
Thank you for lowering yorself to the realms of the front engined watercoolers!!!!
We LUV our cars and after U drive one U will know why;.!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I dont think I am lowering myself

When I was in high school, it was the 944 that I feel in love with!!

In later years, I bought the 83 911 and drove the wheels off of it, now its in restoration.

In desperation of not driving a Porsche, I bought the Boxster to ward off withdrawals until I was finished with the 911 work. But then feel in love with the Boxster (WTH) then I started thinking about what got me interested in Porsches to begin with and it was the 944! This is what prompted this thread!

I realized I really didn’t know that much about the 944, but see them for sell most of the time and thought it would be a good time to pick one up.

All of you have been great to share your deep knowledge and I appreciate it immensely.
Old 02-27-2006, 02:31 AM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Definately pick one up. Well worth it. By the way, I'm gonna be in SoCal soon... watch for GTG threads!
Old 03-01-2006, 01:13 AM
89AZ944
Racer

I am in the process of acquiring a model of Porsche from each genre of the greats
Please keep in mind that these are my personal opinions-
My statistical data is taken from the 944 FAQ (http://www.connact.com/~kgross/FAQ/944faq.html)
Clarks Garage
(http://www.clarks-garage.com/)

The 89 turbo S would be what I consider the "pinnacle" of the 944 series- (I think they dropped the S off the turbo in 89, and made all turbos with the S specs that year but I am not 100% sure) Although it was not the very last of the turbos before they started phasing out in favor of the 968 line and the 944S2 Cabs, but it was the last year of any major changes (the S4 Brakes, bigger turbo, different gearing, etc.).

Why the 89 turbo and not another year? To me, the 944 turbo represents the core of what is a "true" sports car. Stock off the line it is the equal or better than most of the sports cars of its time and out performs some of the exotics. With a little mechanical inclination and a little bit of cash (OK sometimes ALOT) we have seen time and time again what people on this board can coax out of these machines. Porsche took the 944 turbo seriously, giving it upgraded brakes, drive train and wheels. They did not just slap a turbo on to see what would happen. The 86 was the largest production run of the turbo, but it was also the first year and needed some time to work out some kinks.

The stock '89 Turbo equaled the 911 turbo in nearly all "real world" tests and out performed the 911 turbo in top speed: (http://members.rennlist.com/951_racerx/951vs930_0.html)

Having said that, the "Most Representative" of the 944 series would be a guards red/black 1984
1984 was one of the highest production year for the 944 and was the year most people were "introduced" to the 944.
Jake's car from the movie Sixteen Candles was an 84 Guards Red with Black Interior, and for better or worse is the one most ordinary people picture when they hear "Porsche 944". Yes, it still shared parts from Audi/VW, but the basic body shape of the car went unchanged until the 968 (I know the S2 and turbo had different front ends also, but the basic shape was not changed).

Why not the 968 (the end of the 924/944/968 line)?
Because it was distinctly different from the 944, even though it shared similar parts to the 85.5+ models. Also, stylistically it represents a dead end for Porsche along with the 928.

Why not a later 944? The incremental changes from 85.5 on (87 wheel offsets, compression ratios requiring premium fuel, ABS, air bags, etc.) give each year a distinctive "feel" (I have heard some argue). The 2.7 liter in the 89 makes it not representative of the 944 as it was only for that model year. The late model dash that survived through to the 968 is an asthetic choice for most. Some could argue that the updated interior alone makes a later car more desirable, but as we can see from some of the thread responses, it is a matter of choice.

Why not the S or S2? I feel that the sixteen valve version of the 944 did not fully mature until the 968. Stylistically, the S does not make a splash and the S2 sharing the Turbo's packaging makes it blend in, rather than stand out on its own. The S2 cabs are nice, but the overwhelming number of 944s were not cabs.

What about Cup cars, Rothman/Martini, Silberossa, etc.? These cars were special editions and built in limited numbers or for special purposes. They are beautiful examples of the 924/944 series, but are not truly representative of the bulk of the 944 production.

I'm sorry to be so long winded, but I took your opening quote to heart.

I would suggest hooking up with a PCA or Rennlister in your area and take a ride or possible test drive to see what makes us so passionate about our rides....

Brad E.
89AZ944
Old 03-01-2006, 01:39 AM
rbennett
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks Brad!!!

That was definetly not long winded but rather very informative!!!!

Thanks for posting that

Quick Reply: Why a 944