Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why a 944

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2006, 05:18 PM
todzilla
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I've had 17 cars in 20 years of driving and 2 have been 944s - an '85 and my current '86. The '85 was a pita because I had it in the shop every month it seemed fixing something and a 'cut rate' mechanic that seemed fairly incompetant. This soured me for 4 years but I always remembered the 'feel' these cars possessed and always wanted to give it another chance.

Then I bought my '86 with FULL documentation and servicing and love the $%#@ out of it...though its only been 5 weeks.

I am trying to sell my beloved 2002 SVT Ford Focus to rid myself of a bank loan and keep the 944 as my daily and the 2 are remarkably similiar. What the Porsche gives me is a level of quality in the interior that stands the test of time, as well as a simple, effective design. All black. The sport seats are literally a glove - simply no car I've had has come close to them. The fender flares look tough (I find myself enjoying seeing them in the side view mirrors!) The view from the front is menacing (well, with the headlights off!) The utility is amazing! I can stick 2 mountian bikes back there! In a pinch I can squeeze 2 people in the rear...if I have to. The bottom end grunt is strong from the big 4 and the second gear pull is nice and linear. The mileage is pretty decent considering this is a 'sports car'. The HUGE sunroof is practically a targa when removed...LOVE IT! The fact that I can own a true classic that will never depreciate (any further) as long as I maintain it is awesome. Oh and the handling is sublime! Even with 55 series old school tires this thing takes off-ramps at 100 km/h (60 mph) with ease and if the tail gets squirrelly in an aggressive corner, the car lets you know exactly what to do and allows you to correct it without failure. I've kissed my steering wheel a coupla times (well, once in each car) when I took an offramp a bit too fast and the tail wanted to swing out, but a little steering modulation and easing off the throttle put it right in line....very unlike a Mustang of which I've owned 4 - they'dve hit the wall! Some more power would obviously be great but you know what, it's not something I would ever consider a decrement or fault with these as they are so well balanced and tight (my car has zero rattles and only an ever so slight door buzz at idle), I don't miss anything.....though the S, S2, 951 and 968s must sure be nice!!

Sorry that was so long but other than the high maintenance costs, these cars really are the best sports car secret out there! I love it!
Old 02-25-2006, 06:45 PM
beeg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by todzilla
Then I bought my '86 with FULL documentation and servicing and love the $%#@ out of it...
What the Porsche gives me is a level of quality in the interior that stands the test of time, as well as a simple, effective design. All black.
The fender flares look tough (I find myself enjoying seeing them in the side view mirrors!)
Oh and the handling is sublime! Even with 55 series old school tires this thing takes off-ramps at 100 km/h (60 mph) with ease and if the tail gets squirrelly in an aggressive corner, the car lets you know exactly what to do and allows you to correct it without failure.
Ditto on everything above!
Old 02-25-2006, 07:29 PM
WolfeMacleod
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Why a 944-series?

Because I just crammed a 7 foot tall Cat Condo "cat tree" in my 924S. Amazing storage capacity. Room left over.
Old 02-25-2006, 08:22 PM
Royal Tiger
Drifting

Of the whole line (924/931/944/951/968) I think the 968 looks the best while the 951 has the most license loosing potential.
Old 02-25-2006, 09:59 PM
H2OJazz
Rennlist Member

I drove an 88 944 for about 6 years and loved it. Kept up on routine maitenance and put clutch in at 100 K. It was gray metallic with 17 in c2 turbo wheels, and got gawked at constantly, even by 911 types. I just sold this beloved car and bought 94 968, woo-hoo!

These are all wonderful cars if well-taken care of. I did DEs, autocross, and put over 10K miles per year on my 944. Big grins all the time!
Old 02-25-2006, 10:40 PM
mavfan
Three Wheelin'

i dont think that rebennett is coming back to check on this post, i think we are all just talking to eachother about how cool our cars are!
Old 02-25-2006, 11:26 PM
yellowline
Under the Radar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by panzer grey
I'll probably ruffle some feathers by saying this as everyone loves 'their' year, but I would say that you should go with something post 85.5 as they have all the upgrades and the newer dash....some even assert that 85.5 is when the 944 became a 'true' Porsche.

Anything before that has one foot still stuck in 924....still stuck in Audi-land.
I prefer the late interior for looks only. If you want to make a woman think you're not stuck in the disco/techno era, or you want what feels like a more comfy GT, I'm with you. But the early interior, despite being pulled from the 924, is more Porschelike in the vein of a 356, very early 911, or 914. Very spartan and raw-they didn't forget that it's a simple sports car, for better and worse. Some materials, like the wiper and signal stalks, are VW sourced, but they are durable. Fit and finish is better than my mom's '95 Volvo - the trim matches and looks ok, no obvious assembly problems. Dashes of all years crack.

Everything the driver needs is there. The tach is set up so nothing obstructs the view of the needle from ~4000 upwards. This would make it a better candidate for a track car, though it's not a bad interior. It just has the stigma from the 924.
Old 02-26-2006, 01:41 AM
jmporsche944
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 20 Posts

I had an early 944 N/A and now a 944 Turbo... I would say.. If your looking for a car to drive daily, the N/A is a much better choice. Its much easier to maintain and work on.. and it handles on rails. If your looking for something to drive on weekend, and if your looking to get pulled over alot, get a turbo. If your looking for the best of both worlds, the S2 is where its at.
Old 02-26-2006, 02:47 AM
rbennett
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mavfan
i dont think that rebennett is coming back to check on this post, i think we are all just talking to eachother about how cool our cars are!
Oh contraire, this weekend was doing garage modes

I am watching and reading with great interest, seems the 944 owners are the most passionate Porsches owners and am learning why!

Actually I am taking what I am reading and doing a little research each day, thanks for the input all!

Regards
Old 02-26-2006, 02:56 AM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 296 Posts

I am finally conceding defeat with the track car/street thing. I am going to hold off until 2007 to build my car and going to take it off insurance. I'll be building it to do mid-atlantic super cup 944. The n/a is a great daily car from what I have seen. The 951 not so much. Particularly if you don't have much garage space, or none at all like me. I made it from junior year of college through grad to second year of law school. I just can't stand it anymore, so I am buying myself something new that if it breaks --> warranty.

FWIW in terms of a nice little spec car. The 951 for super cup is a great car for decently cheap running cost that is pretty fast. Depending on your skill level you alawys want to fun that fastest series you can afford. So, this will be a great starting point for me. But according to ehall, I won't have time as a first year associate. I think my initial cost will be between 10 and 15 on top of the car. Plus maybe 10 per year. Which, isn't bad. Thost are initial investments. Maybe more. But, I will be so busy, I won't have time to spend any more money, so it isn't all that relevant how much it costs.

oh yeah. and about how we are active. One thing, especially the 951 crowd. It is a great platform. For me I am an engineer (student not that long ago). So, I like to work on it myself etc... Well "like" is a term of art now that I am more busy. More like can. So you get the idea.....
Old 02-26-2006, 03:07 AM
beeg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thank you for lowering yorself to the realms of the front engined watercoolers!!!!
We LUV our cars and after U drive one U will know why;.!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Originally Posted by rbennett
Oh contraire, this weekend was doing garage modes

I am watching and reading with great interest, seems the 944 owners are the most passionate Porsches owners and am learning why!

Actually I am taking what I am reading and doing a little research each day, thanks for the input all!

Regards
Old 02-26-2006, 03:14 AM
CO951
Burning Brakes

Rbennett, I see you have a Boxster. I had an '01 Boxster and loved that car. It was MUCH more refined than my '89 944 Turbo (951), but he 951 S has a very special feel to it. The lower end was had to get used to, because it doesn't have much power below 3000rpm, but above that it makes up for it and makes the boxster seems a little wimpy. The suspension is tighter and the ride rougher, but you get an incredible feel of the road and great control. I switched for two reasons, the 951 S was much cheaper and a much better track car. I do miss my Boxster sometimes, but the 951 S is a great car too. To me it's the pinicale of the great 944 series.
Old 02-26-2006, 03:17 AM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're looking for a 944 to add to your collection of a Boxster and a 911sc, then I'd say that you need something with BOOST!

The 944 Turbo (and then the later Turbo S) gave the 911 turbo a run for its money at the time, and a well modded 944 Turbo continues to be a serious threat to modern cars. There's not necessarily the best choice for a daily driver and not known for being maintenance free, but the turbo technology is something to be experienced!
Old 02-26-2006, 03:27 AM
bjzorn
Canadian Yankee
Rennlist Member

I have my S2 and I love it. I used to drive it daily and I loved it, but it rains to much here and I don't feel like getting rear ended in this car so I drive a different car for commuting. However I have driven 951's as well and for me I like the low end torque of the S2 since I autox.

If you are going to be driving the car daily I say get one of the "pure" 944 and 85.5 or an 86 as they didn't have ABS and airbags as someone else already said. They are a blast to drive and you'll love drving it.

Good Luck
brandon
Old 02-26-2006, 06:26 AM
beeg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by josephsc
If you're looking for a 944 to add to your collection of a Boxster and a 911sc, then I'd say that you need something with BOOST!
All you turbo guys are wimps!
Go the n/a, manual steering lots of fun route!!
Screw the boost! {sorry Kevin!}, besides, I couldn't aford the fines anyway!

Quick Reply: Why a 944