Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MiniReview of the AWX, for tensioning your belts

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 07:05 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default MiniReview of the AWX, for tensioning your belts

BryanThompson from the Pelican forums was nice enough to let me borrow his AWX tensioner this weekend. I figure i give this tool some publictiy, as most seem to still think the only solutions to tensioning the belt are the Kricket, 9201, guessing and relying on the spring tensioner. The AWX is about 1/4 the price of the 9201 tool.

First off let me start by saying i used an older version of the tool, im not sure of the exact changes..but from the pictures i can tell the pointers are different and the balance belt no longer requires use of the rear timing cover to be on the engine.

I also did not take many pictures as the process of using the tool is fairly well documented on the ArnnWorx webpage, franky i couldnt really improve on it really.

The only gripe i had about the tool was that you need a 1/4 inch torque wrench that can measure 35 inch pounds in both directions. It was extremely difficult to find a torque wrench of that size locally..i ended up finding a 1/4 inch to 3/8 adapter socket in my tool box and was able to use a generic 3/8 torque wrench. They are however available online at places like HarborFreight for reasonable prices. I made it a mission to find one locally....and failed, having checked Sears, Pepboys and a few other autostores in the area. Your mileage may vary.

Overall, the tool is fairly simple to use. It looks a little overwhelming with so many moving and swinging parts, but once you read over the instructions and start to get the tool into position, its fairly obvious how it all comes together.

Tensioning the timing belt requires removal of the distriutor cap and the front portion of the cam cover. The upper timing belt cover needs to be removed...the lower portion of the cover can stay on if your lazy like me (more on that below).

I drove the last 4k miles about with the timing belt tensioned using the spring tensioner. Having double checked with the AWX i see it was just slightly to loose. Adjusted the spring tensioner to compensate, and right into spec now.

The balance belt required removal of the timing belt tensioner pulley, a 17mm bolt just needs to be removed...very simple. Again, very simple to check the tension, and not suprisngly the balance belt was tensioned way to high (my car sounded like it had a supercharger). I spent the better half of an hour trying to adjust the balance belt tensioner with the lower timing cover on. Its tough, but do-able. I was to lazy to take the cover off. Using the Arnnworx 27mm flat wrench i was able to tension it to within spec...again very easy to do (if you take the cover off). Holding the tension and torquing the tensioner bolt back to 33ft-lbs was a challenge...again would have been simple if i took the lower cover off, but i am stubborn. Also would have been simple if i had a extra hand to hold the wrench, but was able to manuver my foot under the car to push down on the torque wrench... .

All in all, i am very impressed with the tool and intend to pick up one of the newer versions sometime soon (once i am out of debt from my impending turbo brake conversion!). A very nice alternative to the 9201 and the Kricket (Which is largely useless for cars with a spring tensioner!). If its coming time to do a belt job or retensioning your belts, i would defenetley look into this tool over the Kricket and going through the trouble of finding a 9201 to borrow.

Tensioning the timing belt...

The balance belt...

Again, the tool shown in the pictures above is an older version.

On a side note, i also have ArnnWorx's belt tools. Thats the flywheel lock, Pin wrench and the 27mm roller wrench. All very nicely made and held up well (especially the pin wrench). Well worth the money and savings over the factory tools!

ArnnWorx Homepage

And the disclaimer, no affiliation with ArnnWorx. Just a happy customer and would like to spread the word a bit.
Old 02-23-2006, 07:36 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Wow, I've n ever seen that tool before. Nice write up Jon
Old 02-23-2006, 10:10 PM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Thanks for the write up Jon, I've had the tools for a month or so and plan on using them next week, glad to know it's as straightforward as it looks.
Old 03-12-2006, 07:39 PM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I just got done using the Arnnworx belt tensioning tools also, and was about to write a review when I saw this. These tools are very straightforward to use, and I would highly recommend them. The balance belt tensioner is a little different than pictured above (actually easier to use, IMHO). These tools are giving me great peace of mind. I'm not sure how people that use the KriKit tool find the room to do it. I have the automatic (spring) tensioner, put on new belts, and the spring tensioner was no where near enough by itself (i.e. I had to apply more pressure to the belt than the tensioner by itself to get the proper tension). Great tools, and a great alternative to the Porsche tool.

Quick Reply: MiniReview of the AWX, for tensioning your belts