Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The head is out!

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 10:25 PM
Clint's 944
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I had done a compression test before, it was 200+ on all cylinders. I think between 205-210.

Granite- You would be amazed about how few places around here will work on my car even for the simplest things. I have one shop in town that will replace my tires but they still can't get my aligment right! I have had 5 alignments alone and it's still a little out. I know everything is good because I replaced everything already. I've had shops tell me that a flat 6 was in my car, that balance shafts are a periodic replacement part every 100k miles or the best was a shop told me that Porsche didn't make a 944 cab! Insert ANY face you'd like here!
This guy I am going to check out came recommended from a friend of mine who said he had a lot of experience with heads. He also told me he had done some Porsche work before but it had been a long time. Seemed to be an honest fellow so..we'll see how it goes.

If you do a search on Sea foam, a lot of people swear by it. I picked up a can of it but I've been hesitant to toss it in the motor. I have been using it to clean some parts and it works mighty well!
Old 02-14-2006, 10:31 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A leak down test would show more
Old 02-14-2006, 10:23 PM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Clint's 944
Yeah, I had done a compression test before, it was 200+ on all cylinders. I think between 205-210.

Granite- You would be amazed about how few places around here will work on my car even for the simplest things. I have one shop in town that will replace my tires but they still can't get my aligment right! I have had 5 alignments alone and it's still a little out. I know everything is good because I replaced everything already. I've had shops tell me that a flat 6 was in my car, that balance shafts are a periodic replacement part every 100k miles or the best was a shop told me that Porsche didn't make a 944 cab! Insert ANY face you'd like here!
This guy I am going to check out came recommended from a friend of mine who said he had a lot of experience with heads. He also told me he had done some Porsche work before but it had been a long time. Seemed to be an honest fellow so..we'll see how it goes.

If you do a search on Sea foam, a lot of people swear by it. I picked up a can of it but I've been hesitant to toss it in the motor. I have been using it to clean some parts and it works mighty well!
Holly GOD MAN!.......THAT BAD? I'm lucky here. There are plenty of good and decent shops to choose from. IF.......I need to. Not as close as I like sometimes, butt, still here.

Well, keep the chin up! Keep looking! You'll find the right places and service vendors!

I'll have to try that Sea foam, sometime! I don't know about the "toss it in the motor" part.........though.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:40 PM
White Pony
Racer

Seafoam is pretty safe.. I use it even in motor oil on badly gunked engines and it does not eat away at the seals or anything, works really well for drying parts and for precision cleaning. My dad likens it to "thick chainsaw gas."

What motor does your car have? I might have a head (off the car) without the pitting. IDK about the valves being super, but it certianly does not have the pitting.
Old 02-24-2006, 10:23 PM
Clint's 944
Burning Brakes

I finally got the head back from the shop. It looks like new! I was amazed about how well it turned out. I was in such a hurry to get it in I forgot to take pictures...#%$. But he freshened up the head and replaced all the valve doo dads and stuff. He did all of this for $400 so I it was a fair deal...

I have already cleaned up everything and put the new waterpump on. I haven't replaced the front seal yet, it's going to wait a little longer since I cannot get that damn woodruff key out. So, I am going to order a new one before I mess with it again. I touched up some of the parts and sanded off the ceramic since it was chipping off already.

FYI: If you have electonic locks, do not leave the battery disconnected if you plan on locking the car. Took me about 30 minutes to figure out how to get in my car! I ended up popping the hood from under the car.

A couple questions....
I took the motor down without the flywheel lock. I installed it afterwards when I was pulling off the crank gear. I had to nudge the flywheel ever so slightly to get the lock on. Now It seems the new timing belt will not line up with teeth. Also, it seems that the new timing belt is too small? That sucker is so tight I cannot get it around the cam gear. The tensioner seems to putting too much pressure, but the spring tensioner is completely compressed. So...any ideas?

I was thinking of backing off the timing a slight bit to get the belt on and then re-align everything?

Also, since the head is well...kinda new, should I put any oil in the head to help ease it through the first start?
Old 02-24-2006, 10:42 PM
Dick Ruddell
Instructor

Talking

Damn, from the title of the thread, I thought someone
gave birth!

Quick Reply: The head is out!