Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car wash product review...Magic Wash 4 Porsches

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 08:44 AM
beeg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Darren
Mate, how much water came out of your hose?
Geoff had no hose running, just a really dirty car.
Old 02-13-2006, 09:26 AM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

It sounds like it takes more time and effort that just taking the car out of the garage and spray it down with a hose, then chmoise dry. 10 minutes tops!

This may be a good solution for those that live in cold climates so you can keep you car looking clean during the cold winter months.
Old 02-13-2006, 10:45 AM
beeg
Addict
Rennlist Member

cabrio993
Oh so true
Wash ure car indoors! OMG!
Old 02-13-2006, 11:30 AM
inactiveuser92616
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so what is this stuff? Kangaroo goo?
Old 02-13-2006, 12:39 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Bring it out with you - I'm curious.

I got some e-mail by beeg a while back but have been too busy to respond. I actually am kind of intrigued by this given our climate here in socal - water is a precious commodity and it gets pretty dusty - particularly in summer. I'll give it a whirl and if it performs well over time I might even jump into distribution. . .

Bring some out with you though - I'm up for trying it. . .
Old 02-13-2006, 01:10 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you live by the ocean, and water is precious?? I can see the ocean from your porch! just kiddin. If there is any left after I mail out to all the people on the "try it" list, It'll come with me... gotta clean my car for the photo shoots.

also, I'm washing a friend's 944 with it today. Pics will be up
Old 02-13-2006, 01:22 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You can wash your car with salt water.

Yea, the history of LA/SoCal is kind of interesting. The aquaducts that bring water here all the way from the Sierra Nevada are an amazing engineering feat. The area's millions still depend on them today. There's been talk of desalination plants, but I guess (like everything else) the thought of building an expensive piece of infrastructure that won't make someone's brother-in-law insanely wealthy doesn't sit well with the politicians. . . So it's a political football and likely nothing will be done for years, if not decades. . .

But yea, fresh & clean water is a precious commodity around here. Plenty of dirty/salty/contaminated water though.
Old 02-13-2006, 01:57 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche-O-Phile
You can wash your car with salt water.

Yea, the history of LA/SoCal is kind of interesting. The aquaducts that bring water here all the way from the Sierra Nevada are an amazing engineering feat. The area's millions still depend on them today. There's been talk of desalination plants, but I guess (like everything else) the thought of building an expensive piece of infrastructure that won't make someone's brother-in-law insanely wealthy doesn't sit well with the politicians. . . So it's a political football and likely nothing will be done for years, if not decades. . .

But yea, fresh & clean water is a precious commodity around here. Plenty of dirty/salty/contaminated water though.
Large scale desalination requires huge sources of waste energy to be an economically viable alternative. The best source is from nuclear power plants and we know they are a hard sell anywhere in the US. Currently the State Water Project (Calif Aqueduct) provides water to 2/3 of the California population. So Cal blends the NorCal water with Colorado River water to reduce the salinity of the Colorado source. Politically water in this state is more important than gas prices; water fuels the economy and it's becoming scarcer as the population grows. The Delta in Nor Cal is deteriorating rapidly and water cut-backs will be on the horizon for SoCal. The bad thing is that the Delta could be saved just by building the Peripheral Canal and higher quality water could be delivered to the south. It will be built eventually but that will be a true North-South battle in this State.

In the meantime So Cal is doing a good job on recycling and conservation, much better than Sacramento where they still don't even have mandatory residential water meters for 75% of the homes. With normal climate changes and warmer Winter setting in it doesn't bode well for the present storage strategies counting snowfall as a Summer water bank. We need more off-stream storage capacity or this place is going to dry up before the problem is addressed. Luckily we've had a couple of wet years but just wait for the real droughts to start appearing in the next decade...it won't be pretty. BTW I've worked for the State Water Project for the last 20 years.

A waterless car wash will be a hot item in SoCal and any areas where strict restrictions are imposed on Summer usage.

Off my soapbox now
Old 02-13-2006, 02:16 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by beeg
Darren
Mate, how much water came out of your hose?
Geoff had no hose running, just a really dirty car.
'Tis true... Like, mounds of dirt on this thing... It had just been on a jaunt through the mountains right after snow. Mag Chloride is a PITA to get off of cars, and this did it beautifully.
Old 02-13-2006, 03:37 PM
marcoturbo
Rennlist Member

Doesn't a microfiber towel work better than a chamois to avoid scratches and remove dirt ?
Old 02-13-2006, 04:17 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

I don't know in this case, but I'd hate to be the one trying to get that dirt OUT of a microfiber...
Old 02-13-2006, 04:20 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Ok. Here are the pics of the test car. Just used the stuff on it...

Backstory to the car: My friend's 1987 944. Navy blue. Due to car not running (now fixed), time, and money issues, car hasn't been washed in 4 MONTHS... (I know...poor car...)

First, the before shots, then the after. Next post will have pics during the process.

3 pics of dirty, a pic of the dirty wheel, 3 pics of clean, a pic of the clean wheel.
Attached Images         
Old 02-13-2006, 04:40 PM
Swagger93
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What is in the soap that is available at those car washes where you pay 5 bucks to use a hose? I usually pay 5 bucks just to use the water that comes out after I noticed the soap available takes the wax off my car better than lighter fluid. Pretty much the only option available to wash my daily driver off during the wisconsin winter.

"Spay on wax"- what a f*cking joke.
Old 02-13-2006, 04:42 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

That stuff is more of an acid than anything... it turns my paint pink... this stuff, no problems with oxidizing my 18 year old paint.
Old 02-13-2006, 07:04 PM
beeg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by patrat
so what is this stuff? Kangaroo goo?
NO. You dont make car wash from the animals on your national coat of arms - you sell them at restaurants instead!

Quick Reply: Car wash product review...Magic Wash 4 Porsches