Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing fuel return hose on fuel tank?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 11:01 PM
aventari
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing fuel return hose on fuel tank?

My rubber fuel return line started leaking under the gas tank a week ago so I bought a new one from 944online.com.

story about ordering wrong hose here.. https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum/253096-fuel-return-line-leak.html

So today I tried to install the new line and I just can't. There is not enough room between the gas tank and the body to thread the hose up to the top of the tank. At first I tried to tape the new hose to the bottom of the old hose and pull the old hose out from the fuel sender hole in the trunk, while at the same time pulling the new hose up into place.
Well as you would expect the tape let go and i pulled out the old hose and the new one just stopped. I can't push it up from the bottom because of the lack of room and the 90 degree bend over the top of the tank.

I fear I will have to drop the fuel tank tommorow. Does anyone have any advice for installing this line, or any advice for dropping the fuel tank a few centimeters? Can I do that without dropping the transmisison?

This is an 89 944 Turbo BTW, TIA
Old 02-11-2006, 12:48 AM
Operator
Three Wheelin'

what if you tie a cable around the hose? something strong.. or a wire of some sort.. can you thread it down? snake wire or something? and then pull it up like that?
Old 02-11-2006, 05:38 AM
aventari
Instructor

Originally Posted by Operator
what if you tie a cable around the hose? something strong.. or a wire of some sort.. can you thread it down? snake wire or something? and then pull it up like that?
I'm gonna try that tommorow with a friend, but I don't have high hopes for success

I'll keep this thread updated though.
Old 03-25-2006, 09:40 PM
gandore
Intermediate

I just got part of the way done doing this myself. I had to drop the tank ; which means dropping the transaxle. Ok. So now i have the tank back up but the stupid Hose keeps kinking>....... Does anyone have an idea how much of a kink will work without messing up the fuel pressure?
Old 03-25-2006, 11:49 PM
gandore
Intermediate

Does anyone have an idea about this?
Old 03-26-2006, 12:59 AM
unsigned
Racer

Originally Posted by aventari
I'll keep this thread updated though.

I guess you haven't...
Old 03-26-2006, 11:29 AM
gandore
Intermediate

Bump; anyone have an idea about why my fuel line is kinked, and if it is ok as long as it is not pinching it off completely?
Old 03-26-2006, 11:34 AM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It might have gotten routed over the wirign or other hoses on top of the tank, and when you jacked the tank back up into place it squeezed it against the body? That's a guess...
Old 03-26-2006, 11:59 AM
gandore
Intermediate

Nope wrong spot, it is kinked right after the hard line when it makes the bend up towards where it passes between the tank and body.

In the original picture at the top of this thread it is kinked where the sticker is.
Old 03-26-2006, 01:08 PM
marcoturbo
Rennlist Member

I changed this damned line several months ago.

You don't need to remove your fuel tank but you need to lower it. To lower it, remove the metal clamp under the tank and put a floor jack under it. By lowing the jack , you should get enough room to install the line without removing any other line.

To make it easier, I strapped an electric wire inside the line with strong duct tape. The wire is quite stiff to be moved up from under the car. With a buddy who catchs the wire from the underside and pulls it, you can easily install this line

HTH.
Old 03-26-2006, 03:10 PM
gandore
Intermediate

Ok, so i used some "finess" and did a little bit of hard line bending combined with electrical taping the line to keep it from colapsing/kinking.

Had i invested the time in doing the strong wire pull method it probably would have saved me some time. However doing it this way got me to fix some other minor issues.
Old 07-03-2006, 09:05 PM
Ronin951
Instructor

I'm about to do the same job. Does the fuel return above the fuel level? I currently have about 3/4 a tank and am wondering if I need to drain. I checked the PET, but no diagram gives an indication of this.
Old 05-09-2022, 12:28 PM
vaportrail
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

Resurrecting a very old thread - there was a very easy, two person solution for this.

1. Run an electrician's fish tape down the pathway. Someone under the car should grab it with a very long pair of needlenose pliers.
2. Feed the fish tape from the top will person #2 is pulling from below.
3. Once you have enough tape pulled below thread it through the fuel line
4. Bend the fish tape 180 degrees and secure it with tape so it can be pulled from above
5 Carefully pull from above while person #2 is pushing from below. This took us less than one minute
6 Reconnect both ends and celebrate with a beverage of your choice
Old 05-09-2022, 05:50 PM
Mark Dickey
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

THIS IS THE WAY... Dont drop the fuel tank.

I tried electrical taping the two lines together (NOPE!) fish tape is the way!

Quick Reply: Installing fuel return hose on fuel tank?