Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

jacking question

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006 | 03:08 AM
troll
Advanced

Default jacking question

Okay. As you all can see from my avatar, I am limited on space as far as grabbing parts. I am in the midst of dropping the starter from the red car and putting it into my sapphire one. Currently, I have the car on jacks in the front (on the factory hoist part where I know now not to use). I haven't been under the car, as I knew that a bit more research might do me well. Now, I know that I will be taking the car off of the stands, rejacking it up and putting it onto the frame rail in the front.

Now for my questions: Will any damage occur from using the factory hoist points (the point near the fender)? It looks like after I jacked it up, there was a slight bend in the metal...That is why I havent been under the car! I saw where the starter was, figured it was a 5 minute job to drop, but I did not want to risk my life! Anyways, this is really troublesome as I have about 1 foot to work with on the drivers side as far as jacking goes since the garage is full of junk thanks to my beautiful mother .

Second and last question: my garage is at a slight decline. The car will roll out of the garage if the e-break is off. I fear that this is not a safe work environment for working under the car. The decline is only a few inches. Any sugguestions? Should I put blocks under the rear, have the car in reverse, and have the e-break on? This is what I've done thus far, but I plan on the exhaust and tranny drop soon and am wondering if I should just get this thing towed to a friends backyard.

Sorry for the long write up! Thanks guys.
Old 02-10-2006 | 05:09 AM
shmucklebuckle
Three Wheelin'

Yes, they do collapse... mine bent a little as well once. I got the $*%k out of there and moved it. I don't know where the picture is, but someone made a nice little diagram with an under-car photo of where to and where not to jack the car up. It may show up in a search.

If the ground is flat, in gear and e-braked should be enough. I can't say if your sloped garage floor is too much, you'll have to make that call. Just watch the stands when the car goes down on them - if they start to come off the ground on two of four feet, then you need to figure something else out to make it stable.

Best luck.
Old 02-10-2006 | 06:06 AM
StyleLab
Burning Brakes

Hi,

hope this helps have fun working!

Quick Reply: jacking question