Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Official Nor Cal Drive Thread.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006 | 09:22 PM
ckathens
Drifting

Originally Posted by 951Obsession
pssh, that was in the rain. we're not stupid enough to run in the rain, are we, chaps?
Er... It didn't rain that day! It did rain a bit the day before which caused some rocks to come tumbling onto the road. Especially on some of these backroads, it doesn't matter whether it rained that day or the day before because the dense foliage prevents the road from drying...

I'll check my calendar and let ya know which dates are best for me.
Old 02-08-2006 | 05:32 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Pescadero is a tricky one, in a bad way methinks. Depending on how far south you Sac guys are willing to go, there are a few more options. As mentioned, 84 is a good one. It's pretty fun and very scenic from 1 to 35, but the stretch of 84 after it crosses 35, between 35 and 280, is a bit scary. There are more hairpins that I can remember, and most of them on the edge of a cliff. Nothing we can't HANDLE.

If you want to go a little farther we can take 35 to 9 to 1 (taking us to santa cruz). 9 is very technical, but there are few/no cliffs. I took 9 once before and I thought it rocked. The only problem is that 9 just keeps going on south until Santa Cruz, which I know just takes us all farther from home, especially for those coming from the north bay. It might be a bit far, but I thought I'd throw it out there anyway.
Old 02-08-2006 | 12:41 PM
95Juan
Mexican Ambassador
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
Pescadero is a tricky one, in a bad way methinks. Depending on how far south you Sac guys are willing to go, there are a few more options. As mentioned, 84 is a good one. It's pretty fun and very scenic from 1 to 35, but the stretch of 84 after it crosses 35, between 35 and 280, is a bit scary. There are more hairpins that I can remember, and most of them on the edge of a cliff. Nothing we can't HANDLE.

If you want to go a little farther we can take 35 to 9 to 1 (taking us to santa cruz). 9 is very technical, but there are few/no cliffs. I took 9 once before and I thought it rocked. The only problem is that 9 just keeps going on south until Santa Cruz, which I know just takes us all farther from home, especially for those coming from the north bay. It might be a bit far, but I thought I'd throw it out there anyway.

yeah, SC might be too far, but it all depends on who's coming. I'd go for it if we headed out early enough.

we could start the Rennlist Febuary Cruise to the Cruz.

you know, now that i hear it, it sounds like a good idea, and catchy.

i dont think we'll be on the section between skyline blvd and 280. like i said, i'm heading out there the weekend of the 17th, and i'll do a pre-run run, just to see what's out there. which probably means that we'd have a little less than a week for routing, but at least we'd know what time and what day, and who's coming potentially.
Old 02-08-2006 | 08:40 PM
95Juan
Mexican Ambassador
Lifetime Rennlist

so i'm going this weekend, because my friend is buying a 1st generation RX7 with a 2nd gen motor in it, and some mods, so we're going to run those roads in advance to make sure there's no rock vs oil pan fights .

here's a route as i have it, feel free to add. just imagine that it all goes clockwise. i should have made the return trip a different color, but oh well.

just put the maps together in your head.

just imagine that the top of 84 is highlighted, it wouldnt save any other way, and i dont know why.

the yellow marking that goes parallel to highway 1 doesnt show up on a regular map, mostly because it's a lot of 1-lane sections. but it's gazo's creek road/stage road.
Old 02-09-2006 | 03:26 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

That's funny, my friend is about to buy a second gen rx-7 (his second one) within the next few days. I like FBs myself, but he's an FC nut. Will your friend be coming to this event? I can have my friend bring his rx-7 and we could have a mini rotary meet on the side.
Old 02-09-2006 | 03:48 AM
josephsc
Race Car

From: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA

I see one fundamental flaw -- the run doesn't end at a drinking establishment!

Maybe make a right turn after rejoining Skyline to that bar where it meets I84?
Old 02-09-2006 | 05:20 PM
Andial951
Legend Killer
Rennlist Member

Count me in whenever and wherever..........
Old 02-09-2006 | 05:36 PM
95Juan
Mexican Ambassador
Lifetime Rennlist

Arash- yeah, he's buying a 1st gen, it'll be his......4th Rx7 in......3 years. FC3S N/A, FC3S TII, SA22 (FB) Turbo (~300 rwhp, 2200lbs), and the new one, SA22, FC3S motor.

he's buying that car specifically because he's missed out on too many runs with his turbo rx7's being out of comission. at least that's my way of putting it.

Joe- we're stopping to rest at that "annies" or whatever on 84 around La Honda (in la honda?) for a few minutes just in case anyone needs to add fluids, either to the cars or to themselves. maybe we can swing back right after everything so people can wet their whisltes.

Roger- I know you're coming, you know how I know? because I said so.

i spent the last few weeks in mexico learning new wrestling moves. you dont want to deal with my immense power.

either way- like i said, i'm going *this* weekend to work out a route/places to stop/buy a car with my friend.

i know, how terrible for me, i get to spend my saturday with clear skies, clear roads and sports cars in the mountains.

Just like God intended.
Old 02-09-2006 | 06:11 PM
Andial951
Legend Killer
Rennlist Member

Juan,

What you didnt realize was that I was actually in attendance at a few of your wrestling matches........got the pics to prove it.
Attached Images    
Old 02-09-2006 | 06:14 PM
Andial951
Legend Killer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 951Obsession

Roger- I know you're coming, you know how I know? because I said so.

either way- like i said, i'm going *this* weekend to work out a route/places to stop/buy a car with my friend.
Well I guess I'm coming then.

BTW - if you see a garnet red 951 coming up behind you in those mountains do the right thing and pull over so a faster car can pass.
Old 02-09-2006 | 06:35 PM
95Juan
Mexican Ambassador
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Andial951
Well I guess I'm coming then.

BTW - if you see a garnet red 951 coming up behind you in those mountains do the right thing and pull over so a faster car can pass.

oh it's on.............

it's on, baby.

well.....it's on if your car can even turn on.

edit- hey, man. i even marked in yellow where it's gonna go down. BRING IT, CABRON!
Old 02-10-2006 | 03:00 AM
luckett
Three Wheelin'

I'm in. So when are we doing it?

chris
Old 02-10-2006 | 04:03 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Hey Chris, where in SF are you? I live by City College... maybe we can caravan.
Old 02-10-2006 | 04:13 AM
Dmitry S.
Rennlist Member

Uhh, I'll be in as long as it's not a competition about who can drive the road the fastest.
Old 02-10-2006 | 05:18 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I'm sure 951obsession and andial951 are just exchanging friendly banter - last time, I remember Roger (Andial951) complaining about having to caravan with me because my NA would "slow him down"... But I guess Dmitry has a point. Let's just be clear about it again: The run won't in any way be a competition, right?

Dmitry - do you still have that S2 you were trying to sell before? If so, I'm glad you decided to keep it. I don't know much about it, but it sounded like a well-kept, sorted out car, and it looked really nice.

Quick Reply: Official Nor Cal Drive Thread.