Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Everyone loves an unscrupulous 944 flipper

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2006 | 01:09 AM
apierce918
Addic
Rennlist Member

dont sweat it FRporscheman, i can join you on the cracked-dashness

can only tend to one thing at a time though. (dont mind the holes where my cigarette lighter, and little vent go... glovebox is torn out so i can get a new latch so it will stay shut without a bungee, yes, i had it bungeed shut!)
Old 02-05-2006 | 01:11 AM
kcryan
Instructor

I dont think he meant it to be a dick, but i could be wrong....
Old 02-05-2006 | 01:12 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

imagine that, an *** for a hat. Just makes me chuckle alittle.
Old 02-05-2006 | 01:37 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Hey man, didn't mean to make you think I was ripping on you or anything - I'm not. All I'm saying is that guy could've picked a nicer interior to put on a car allegedly for sale.

FWIW yes, I hold the aesthetics of these cars as pretty important - especially if it's for sale. Like I've said before on other threads if it's your car and you're the one driving it, whatever floats yer boat. I personally dislike the dash covers and I like those carpet things even less, but whatever thrills ya'. . . Once a car goes up for sale, I think a higher standard of care is warranted - stuff like dash covers, dash carpets, seat covers, etc. immediately set off red flags and warning bells to me. See the distinction? If it's your car and your daily driver and you're the one that has to deal with the problem one way or another, it's your call. You can either not drive the car, do a temporary fix (like it sounds you've done) until you can save up to do it right, or whatever. I don't fault you for that one bit. I DO fault people selling cars that try to cover up defects like that, however. You aren't the one that's done that - the seller is. That was my point, sorry if you missed it. You're not guilty of anything (except maybe having dash cracks ). Don't feel bad - many cars do. Hell, my early '85 does (I haven't gotten around to installing my replacement dash yet, it's still sitting on the shelf). How you deal with it is your choice.

Personally I wish the owners of these cars would put efforts into at least making the appearance as nice as possible - within reason. Your interior ain't that bad overall - there are a few things I'd do differently, but we're different people. . . C'est la vie. I've seen a few really thrashed-out 944s in my time and they're frankly an embarassment to the rest of us. These are Porsches after all - not 15-y/o Toyotas. It's just nice to see people put some pride into the upkeep and appearance of them as best they can. It looks like you've tried to do that in your own way with the dash mat and although I personally think they're pimpish and I don't like 'em, I understand and respect the effort to make things look better without breaking the bank. It shows pride in ownership in your own way - as does your response. I respect that.

My first 944 had one of those things on it when I went to pick it up - I literally ripped it off and tossed it out the window in full sight of the P.O. after we'd completed the transaction and I was getting ready to drive it home. Hehe. Made me feel good. . . Sorry, I just don't like stuff like that. I happen to like a nice, clean, decent-looking car but then again, I'm a little older than most on this board and have owned my share of hacked-up ****boxes, so I guess that's where some of my cynicism on the matter comes from. Anyway, carry on. Here's hoping you find that elusive uncracked dash cheap soon.

Quick Reply: Everyone loves an unscrupulous 944 flipper