Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for the wasserpumper crowd

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006 | 01:21 PM
Jgordon
Racer

Default Question for the wasserpumper crowd

Guys,

I'm hoping you can help me out. I'm a relative newbie to your world, but I've always wanteda 944. I have a 911 now, an 89 with a modified 3.4 liter engine.

Pics here: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...hreadid=177640

garage door has been changed, and house painted, as part of my master "make the garage a porsche heaven" plan.

Anyway, the reason I'm here:

I have been getting into track days more often, and I've always wanted a '44. I saw this one for sale, and it looks pretty damn good for my needs (learning to drive fast rather than high hp). Just wondering what your thoughts are with price, year (why was mid-85 considered such a turning point - just the dash improvements or were there more substantive changes?)

Early 1985 Porsche 944 Guards Red
Good Exterior/Interior
Turbo Front Bumper/AIR Rear Bumper (Rear Valance included but not installed)
Turbo Brembo Brakes (front)
New Rotors and Pads (rear)
Turbo Suspension
Corbeau Forza seats w/ Simpson 4 pt harness
Custom exhaust 2.5 in (comes with stock exhaust also)
Pirelli Corzas Tires (lots of thread left)
Bursch testpipe (have cat. converter)
PCA Spec Fire extinguisher Halatron NEW!!
New struts, all four corners (FR 250lb springs)
17" 993 Wheels
AC Delete w/Belt
Redline Rollbar w/ I/O Port Camera Mount
Turbo Swaybars Front and Rear

Edit- they're asking 5K.

Any other thoughts are welcome (suggestions on other cars, etc). But take it easy on a poor tail-dragger.
Attached Images   
Old 01-31-2006 | 01:25 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

aside from the filter, it's a hot car... those cone air filters are (generally) worthless in our cars... and the guy put a filter on the timing belt vent... the inside of that filter has gotta be trashed...

There are some people here researching how to get better power with resonance in cold air induction/cone filters... but when they're tacked on the AFM, they're pretty sad...

I'd say $5,000.00 is a good price for that. I bought my 924S without all that stuff for $3,000.00

go for it!
Old 01-31-2006 | 01:30 PM
apierce918
Addic
Rennlist Member

i think the car was sold. seller is a rennlist member

see here
Old 01-31-2006 | 01:43 PM
M758
Race Director

for a track car I think it would be better to find one with less desirable cosmetics. What you really want in a track car is a good drive line and suspension. Pretty cars are just that pretty cars. It does not mean the engine and suspension are in 100% working order.

I perfer to spend less money and get "not so pretty" car with great mechanicals or even slightly beat car with mechanical needing some repair. Reason is that these are OLD cars and even pretty ones might need quite a bit in chassis fixed to get them ready for track duty. For a street car then being pretty is advantage.
Old 01-31-2006 | 02:05 PM
michaelathome
Race Car

Originally Posted by Jgordon
Anyway, the reason I'm here:

I have been getting into track days more often, and I've always wanted a '44. I saw this one for sale, and it looks pretty damn good for my needs (learning to drive fast rather than high hp). Just wondering what your thoughts are with price, year (why was mid-85 considered such a turning point - just the dash improvements or were there more substantive changes?)
There are quite a few changes between years other than interior. Brakes and suspension were updated. Engine management changed but not a lot, still the same basic design, not interchangable.

The car you posted has a LOT of updates if it is an 85 and not an 85.5 There are 3 main age groups for the 944 IIRC, 83-85, 85.5-86 and 87 and up. 944S' are 16v and S2's are another story. I agree with others, finding a more stock car might be the way to go. First fender bender in the above and you are getting a new fiberglass nose unless you can repair fiberglass. An NA bumper and shocks (all years) might set you back a lot less.

Good luck with your hunt and welcome to the board. If it were me looking I would look for an 87-89 as there were just more produced and used parts are a little easier to come by.

jgporsche has an 88 944S he is looking to sell IIRC, try looking him up. Nice car and in that price range as well.

Michael
Old 01-31-2006 | 03:03 PM
azmi951
Drifting

The best site for 944 info is the FAQ document that is floating around. It explains everything you need to know before buying a 44

Quick Reply: Question for the wasserpumper crowd