Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1988 924S Clubsport ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 06:49 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by racer
Thought I would wake up this post, rather than repost....

I found a similar car to the one that started me down this path in the first place. This one has M030, 756 and a couple other option codes. Single outside mirror, plaid interior; 6 and 7" wheels. Sunroof. No rear wiper. 80K miles. Potential drawbacks are original clutch and cracked dash. Positives?- 2 nd owner. All documents (window sticker, manuals (factory and aftermarket) and extensive and maintanence records.) Overall paint looks pretty good, with the expected stone chips in front. Original paint. Great panel gaps. Straight. Also has 7/8x16 "street" wheels. No fender lips rolled.

Guy is asking over $6k. I know for many, this would be "turbo" money. I don't want a turbo. I want an N/A. I want a solid car WITH a known history. Not searching for a project or "cheap" car I can dump tons of money into. Care to share some thoughts about the car and price?
If I had the extra cash laying about and permission from the sig-other, that would be the car I would be looking for. Well, other than that plaid interior...but I guess it is cool in a retro-chic kinda way. But the rest of the car is perfect for people who like the "less is more" mantra.

Price on that car is a tough question. There aren't too many of those running around, and they are hard to find when you are looking for one (at one time I was avidly looking for one a couple years back), but a few have popped up lately. I wouldn't go so far as to call them "rare" though (as far as rare porsches go), and they are only really desirable to geeks like me and some others that are looking for that sort of thing. Based on established real-world pricing for regular spec 924S cars, +6K is probably too much, especially considering the fact that the rubber centered original clutch is a ticking time bomb at this age and mileage. Although, if I owned that car, I would probably be asking for that much or more. But like I said I am a geek.

I'd go back to him with an offer of $4K and explain the clutch situation. If he isn't an enthusiast, he probably doesn't know the cost of a new clutch in these cars. Show him the estimated hours and parts cost. Downplay, or don't even mention, the fact that such an optioned car is hard to find. If you can get it for around $4K, and can do the work on the clutch yourself, I'd say it's a done deal. If you can't do the work yourself, but can still get it for $4K, then start socking away money for the rainy day when the clutch job will eventually be needed. If he doesn't budge off the asking price, then you would have to consider the purchase carefully. If you really want the car, and plan on keeping it for a long time, it still may be worth it. If you are only going to keep it for a year or two, you'll probably regret it.
Old 10-14-2006, 11:09 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually, the seller is an enthusiast and used the car for PCA and SCCA Autocorssing. He just bought an '86 Turbo and has ANOTHER (although its an '87) 924S for sale. He's asking $4500 for the other one. Obviously not as well equipped as the "SE". He knows the cars well and was previously a Porsche salesman back in the 1980's. I voiced concern about the clutch, but haven't gotten back with an offer/coutneroffer. My intent would be about 5 years of ownership.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:11 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bump... Ok.. so what about just under $6k? say mid to high fives?
Old 10-16-2006, 11:01 PM
mavfan
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow, should i be expecting that kind of money for mine then?!!!
Old 10-17-2006, 08:56 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by racer
Bump... Ok.. so what about just under $6k? say mid to high fives?
If you really want it, then I would say the price isn't bad given the fact it is what you are looking for and plan on keeping it for awhile. I'd go for it. Especially since it seems to be unmollested.

Quick Reply: 1988 924S Clubsport ?