Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where should this hose go?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 10:43 PM
Vjgtrybno1
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where should this hose go?

On the 86 NA - headlights were stuck half way up. Lubricated the motoer, that wasn't the problem. It was the hose between the overflow tank and the radiator - it had worked its way into the space where the rack that raises the lights goes. I also noticed that it was kinked and partially obstructed as it passed below the bracket that the airbox bolts onto. I'm wondering if someone used the wrong part or something - can anyone tell me the true path of this hose? Thanks!
Old 01-25-2006, 11:52 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

if im thinking right its the hose that feeds the overflow when the radiator gets hot it dumps into that tank. That hose just kinda sits on the bar between the headlights, most have a wiretie holding it loosely to that bar-IIRC. Let me try to find a pic.

where is it on here?
Attached Images  
Old 01-26-2006, 05:08 AM
Vjgtrybno1
Rennlist Member

Dan, thanks as always. You're correct the hose connects the radiator and the expansion tank. I can see from your picture that yours travels under the bar that pivots the drivers side headlight. Mine actually runs up and in between that bar and the black bracket ( the one with 3 bolts that holds the bottom of the airbox) and it is severely constricted as it's jammed in under there. Then when the lights are pivoting , those thingamabobs connected to the headlights come down and get caught on the hose. Methinks the hose is too long and that's why they had to run it there. Wish I had a telestrator to highlight this.
Old 01-26-2006, 10:43 AM
blgdaddy
Advanced

I am actually changing that hose this weekend. Mine has a crack in it. Check right next to the airbox on the frame. My 83 has a factory rubber padded hose bracket that guides it along the frame below the headlight assembly to the radiator.
Old 01-28-2006, 11:54 AM
Vjgtrybno1
Rennlist Member

Looking at parts available from Paragon, it may be that the early and late cars differ slightly in the design - I haven't found a bracket although I found a hole in the engine compartment below and left of the expansion tank that could be a place to attach a bracket.
Old 01-28-2006, 10:28 PM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No hoses should be routed over that airbox bracket. They should all go under it. The hose you describe that is giving you problems should be running from passenger side of radiator, between top of radiator and fan shrouds, over the top of the upper (large) radiator hose, underneath the airbox bracket, to the resevouir/recovery tank.(sp)

There should be two plastic wire ties holding this hose in position to the front body frame (one on either side of the hood latch assy.). If those are there (I remove them and leave 'em out so I can remove the upper fan shroud bolts easily), then you just might have to cut a little off the hose at the recovery tank end in order to shorten it just enough to clear that headlight pivot assy. Take a good looky and see if that hose may have been damaged from being struck by that pivot point assy.

That hose required for your car should be part number 944.106.245.02. ( If your lucky enough to see it printed on that hose.......yeah.......right). There are at least 3 different hoses available for these different models, as far as I know, butt, I doubt its THAT problem. I'm betting on just a PO not routing and not taking close enough look at it on install. Good luck!
Old 01-29-2006, 02:54 PM
Vjgtrybno1
Rennlist Member

Righto guys, thanks! Maybe the PO or maybe the shop that hosed (hee hee) the oil cooler seal replacement and system flush. No matter, all's well that ends well - I freed up the hose and so far no leaks, added a few plastic ties on each side of the hood latch to keep it in place and we're ready to rock. I'll take her for a spin today to check for leaks and also to see if the operating temp is lower now that that hose isn't all kinked up and constricted anymore!

Quick Reply: Where should this hose go?