Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Police Radar, 10-ways to get shot in the back !

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 10:41 PM
mpd425
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know why you were stopped especially 15 miles away from the toll plaza. You're right if I saw the other vehicle stopped I would have checked on it and not worried about you or follow you 15 miles and stop you for that offense.
Old 01-25-2006, 10:54 PM
michaelathome
Race Car

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Cool. So I guess that maybe the red theory still stands? I was in a red Nissan Pathfinder at the time. I used to drive 65 miles round trip to and from work and at off hours it never really made sence to speed. I'd just turn on the radio and drive. Couldn't complain, I was normally home in 30-40 min even with stops. That's a short drive for anyone that travels the beltway.

Thanks mpd425!

Michael
Old 01-25-2006, 11:42 PM
L8 APEKS
Three Wheelin'

Carrying a gun in your car? How delightfully ghetto! Do you have gold fillings and hood ornaments for jewelery too?
Old 01-26-2006, 12:34 AM
beeg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Things are a little different around here.
Radar detectors are totally illegal and would probably have you lose your license on the spot.
Cops dont do follows on cars around here. No need. All the cars have mobile radar units hanging off the drivers side so they can shoot you on the move.
Add in multiple mobile speed cameras (give you a really nice picture of your car! Ask me how I know! ) usually hidden behind a tree and way off the road so you have no real chance of avoiding them, Random roadside breath tests where they usually set up with 2-3 cars and pull over every passing vehicle {last time I was stopped at one of these I was on my way home from night shift at about 0100. The copper came over asked some questions about the 944 and wanted to know if I had considered a 911. Then said goodnight and thanks. Bye!}, Highway Patrol set up mobile radar sites anywhere.
There is really no profit in driving fast around here although with my job I have strange times to go home and can usually get away with blasting down the highway early in the morning with no other cars around.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:42 AM
...P
Instructor

Originally Posted by mpd425
If I'm running the radar or the laser I look for the fastest vehicle. I don't care what you are driving. If you feel "Targeted" because you are driving your porsche you need to stop speeding and slow down, then you won't be targeted.
Just a comment to a fellow Porsche driver. I figure you drive just exactly like me, and like me, you would react to the situations here in my area just about the same as I would. I think we're probably a lot alike.

I did encounter one very cool cop one afternoon in my 1984 944. I was speeding, make no excuses about it, do it all the time, and I'm prepared to pay the consequences, but I also take measures (as you would) to not get caught. Natually if you get caught, they'd probably waive the ticket.

I was speeding along without radar one day, basically flying blind. I passed an old Buick on the side of the road and thought nothing of it, until I looked back in the RVM and saw the Buick gaining on me with blue lights flashing.

The cop walked over, asked for the license. He checked the tags, came back and said............Mr. *****, don't you think 90-mph is a bit excessive? I knew I was NOT doing 90, and I just said, "yes sir, but I didn't think I was doing 90". He said, "do you think you can slow it down a bit", and I said "yes".

He then took a deep breath, and his next words made me thing I died and went to heaven. He said................................

drum roll please

"you know............................I USED TO HAVE ONE OF THESE................be careful because they can get away from you (meaning they can creep the speed up on you and you don't realize how fast you are going)". At that point he handed my license back to me and said have a nice day. I couldn't believe he just turned away and walked back to the car. I was dumbfounded. I sure wish there were more like him. Turns out he was working the auto theft division, and not the traffic division.

If anyone who owns a Porsche claims they drive the speed limit all the time, I have to tell you, I would honestly find that rather hard to believe. Give a guy a break tomorrow!

Regards, P
Old 01-26-2006, 12:54 AM
...P
Instructor

Originally Posted by beeg
Things are a little different around here.
Radar detectors are totally illegal and would probably have you lose your license on the spot.

I was stopped at one of these I was on my way home from night shift at about 0100. The copper came over asked some questions about the 944 and wanted to know if I had considered a 911. Then said goodnight and thanks. Bye!}, Highway Patrol set up mobile radar sites anywhere.
There is really no profit in driving fast around here although with my job I have strange times to go home and can usually get away with blasting down the highway early in the morning with no other cars around.

Sorry to hear they are approaching a police state downunder.

I was out one sunday in my 928, and it was a bright sunny day and we were on a stretch of road that was essentially equal to the autobahn, running straignt through the hinterland, with a very wide berm, etc. I was caught going 69 in a 55. We pulled over, the cop came up and said "gee, NICE CAR", and then said it about six more times as he wrote me up, and ignored my plea. I said, "hey, I'm a car nut, out with my wife this morning, and the road is straight and long, and there isn't another car in sight.................do you think you can give me a break today"

Sheesh, I was going to ask if he wanted to see the motor, when he said "please sign here", ha ha. You know, actions like that do more harm to the respect for the police, than just about anything else. Yes, I know I was speeding, but the conditions warranted it, period. I know from my buddy who is a state trooper, it's a thankless job being a cop. He said to his men, "don't try to change society, becuse the second you leave this road, this town, this job, or this life, nobody will even know you were here" (meaning the traffic citation business). Of course, there are lots and lots of good things cops do for people all the time, and I don't want to unfairly point the finger at anyone. All I want to do is play the game well, because they're playing it whether some will admit it or not, it's a game and when you lose you pay.

My advice is "get a good radar detector and take it with you every trip". At least that gives you a fighting chance, otherwise you're just a schmoo for the taking.

P
Old 01-26-2006, 01:15 AM
mpd425
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ...P
but I also take measures (as you would) to not get caught. Natually if you get caught, they'd probably waive the ticket.

If anyone who owns a Porsche claims they drive the speed limit all the time, I have to tell you, I would honestly find that rather hard to believe. Give a guy a break tomorrow!
Your right if I get caught I probably won't get a ticket(job benefit). I also only drive 10-15 over the speed limit, and havn't been stopped in 20+ years. I also have never owned a radar detector.
I don't stop and cite any body for under 15 mph, unless they are reckless in going that fast. If I'm doing traffic on the Interstate I usually let the speed go to 80 in a 60 zone(there are enough people going faster than that).
Old 01-26-2006, 01:24 AM
mpd425
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ...P

All I want to do is play the game well, because they're playing it whether some will admit it or not, it's a game and when you lose you pay.
Yes, its a game. It's also our job. We also use the tools that we have to try and win the game. You use yours to try and win also. Just when you lose don't bitch and whine about it. I don't complain if I don't stop anybody on my shift. (though the Chief sometimes does)
Old 01-26-2006, 09:08 AM
75ohm
Resistance is Futile
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 131 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by URIN 2ND
Carrying a gun in your car? How delightfully ghetto! Do you have gold fillings and hood ornaments for jewelery too?
ROFLMAO!

Yes.

Just kidding.
Old 01-26-2006, 10:21 AM
BlueDog944
Pro

Originally Posted by aeronautica86
so you were essentially about to take some guy's keys for speeding
Tigershark can correct me if I'm wrong, but if a person is (truly) having a diabetic emergency while behind the wheel, their performance will be similar to a person that just walked out of a bar from a night drinking.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:36 PM
azmi951
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got a ticket two weeks ago. The cop was very curt with me. I have had quite a few good expieriences with traffic violations and this is the first on that I felt was not handled well by the cop.

I pulled over, window down and hands on the wheel. The highway was a 75 limit, clear skies, a car about every 1/2 to 3/4 mile and very streight. Visibility was very good. He walks up and says "you are getting a ticket for 91 in a 75." not the ususal "in a rush?"
When he comes back he says "You are not going to traffic school for this eather."
He said he used VASCAR and radar but my detector never went off and he was at least 1/4 to 1/2 mile behind me. I dont think he could have gotten an accurate reading on VASCAR.
Old 01-26-2006, 01:01 PM
fiercestcalm
Advanced

In the 20 years I've been driving, I only got one ticket. It was right after I got the Porsche. I was going 45 on a main road through town where the speed limit is 30, but nobody actually drives 30. I'd been using this road driving the same way, like most people, for years and it just seems funny that as soon as I have the Porsche, BAM, a ticket. No warning even. I didn't argue, because I knew that technically I WAS speeding, but I did feel targeted. Especially since a moment before getting pulled over a large truck had just passed me. Hmmmm suspicious. Oh, and my feminine charms did nothing to help either
Old 01-26-2006, 01:25 PM
azmi951
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I must share a few uplifting cop stories.

I had the Chevelle out one night right after I got it back from the body shop (damn red light runners) and it was not running right (finicky carb). It kept stalling so I had to keep cranking it, I turned my main headlights off at a left hand turn light while I cranked. I get it started and 1/2 mile later a cop pulls me over. He asks why my lights were off and I tell him. He then asks to see my car and my buddies (67 Chevy II) who pulled into the parking lot about 50 yards away. After BSing for 5-10 minutes he says "watch out for those motorcycle cops. They are A--holes and would write me a ticket."

I thought he was a cool cop because he was honest and just a cool guy to talk to.

Another one was when I was traveling from AZ to Michigan I was pulled over for 11 over in a 65 in the Dallas area. The cop ran my lisence and it came up "cancelled". Not revoked, suspended or withdrawn. When he asked where I was going I told him I was going back to school in Michigan. He shines his light in the back and sees all my crap so my story checks out. He had me on the side of the road for 1/2 an hour while they checked on my lisence. He comes back and says "You have a long way to go and since all your other info check out I really don't want to keep you here any longer, they cant figure out why your lisence is cancelled. Have a safe drive."

Again, an honest and fair cop. One of Texas' finest.
Old 01-26-2006, 01:49 PM
ttwitc9516
Advanced

Of all the tickets I've gotten, I've only gotten one I felt I didn't deserve. Pretty sure it was already on the gun and used as an excuse to pull me over at 4:30 in the morning on my way home from work. Radar detector never went off. That was in 1986. A few since then. I've sure as hell gotten off of several I did deserve. As the saying goes "the nail that sticks up gets hit on the head."
Old 01-26-2006, 02:01 PM
aeronautica86
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by BlueDog944
Tigershark can correct me if I'm wrong, but if a person is (truly) having a diabetic emergency while behind the wheel, their performance will be similar to a person that just walked out of a bar from a night drinking.
Yeah, I found that out after doing a small bit on online reading on the subject. When I initially read the post (when I was unaware of the seriousness of the effects of low blood sugar for a diabetic) it sounded like he was planning on taking this guy's keys essentially for nothing, but shortly thereafter found out that was wrong...

Quick Reply: Police Radar, 10-ways to get shot in the back !