Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Towing the car- what to get?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 04:46 PM
David '96 993
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike,
Thank you for the GC tech site. There are alot of other things that I plan on doing to the tow vehicle and your referral is just the place for it.
Old 01-25-2006, 08:00 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

more pics of today, comparing the reds of the cars to the truck - not too bad i guess i can pull it behind the truck w/o clashing colors...

not sure about the whole nascar sticker though man, im thinking a shot gun rack and a windshield banner that reads "GIT ER DUN"

oh and one pic of my car since most of you havent seen it w/ the wheels on it yet.
Attached Images      
Old 01-25-2006, 08:07 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just bought a platinum pre-certified 2002 Toyota Sequoia to haul my 944. I am trying to decide between steel and aluminum open trailers now. Aluminum is lighter, but the steel trailers are just so cheap (and easily modifiable).
Old 01-26-2006, 10:14 AM
Chipster
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 28 Posts

There are a lot of things to consider when deciding on a tow vehicle - besides just towing capacity. Braking ability is huge. Being able to stop the load is probably more important than the ability to pull it. You have to consider the braking capability of the truck as well as the trailer. Some trailers come with surge brakes - others have electronic - and some have no brakes at all. The scariest moments I've had while towing was when some idiot pulls in front of me and hits the brakes to turn or slow down. You can try to give yourself plenty of space, but sometimes you have no control over the situation. This has happened every time I've towed more than a few miles.

You also have to look at the hitch type (can it handle the load?) and tonge weight - especially if the trailer w/car and additional stuff weighs more than the tow vehicle. In the wet, jackknifing is a real possibility - especially if the trailer brakes are not set properly - or not working at all.

The best thing you can do is give yourself a good margin of error with both pulliing and stopping capability. I have a 20' enclosed trailer that I pulled with a Durango. It was an RT with the bigger motor and a tow package - but I just didn't feel comfortable towing such a big trailer after a few trips - and scares.

I upgraded to a Tahoe with the 6.0 and trailer package. it's better but still not as good as I'd like. I'll probably go with a Surbuban or HD pickup in the future. When it comes to tow vehicles - bigger is always better - go as big as you can afford.

My appologies for the rant.

Chip
Old 01-26-2006, 10:30 AM
Mike Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

That looks pretty sweet Dan. The reds match very well. Both my truck and car are dark blue, but only the truck is metallic. Oh well, nothings ever perfect.

Time for a loud dual exhaust on the truck! My Ram at 6k-rpm might be louder than my open exhaust 951
Attached Images  
Old 01-26-2006, 03:24 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Chipster, I agree with you 100% when it comes to braking ability. I have been hauling my own cars with a trailer for more than 15 years an have been through close calls many times. I almost hit cars cutting in my lane to immediately brake hard in order to turn right. If anyone tows in L. A. traffic, they would be inately familiar with being cut off in traffic. I have almost jackknifed my trailer numerous times even as I leave more than 10 car lengths while going 50 mph on the freeway. The last trailer I bought did not have electric brakes but after a hit and run driver destroyed my last trailer (parked on side of the road), I ordered the one I have right now with electric brakes and 4" drop axles for ease of loading lowered cars. Get a large tow vehicle with lots of stopping power. I rather go up a hill slowly instead of blowing up a transmission or not being able to stop.

Quick Reply: Towing the car- what to get?