Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some Q's about early 944s

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 06:38 PM
kcryan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how can i identify sport seats, anyone got pics of both?
Nope no dash cracks, mabye a little wear on the bolsters of the seat but nothing big, and as i said the body is like brand new.
Its got cookie cutters
i dont think it has an LSD just because i think that was a rare option, but if you tell me how to i can look for for an option code.
it should have stock suspension, but how do i identify sport from stock?

Gosh i hope he dosent read this.....
Old 01-23-2006, 06:56 PM
michaelathome
Race Car

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

You can look here for pics of sport seats

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ight=Superlamb

Michael
Old 01-23-2006, 08:28 PM
kcryan
Instructor

nope....no sport seats...
Old 01-23-2006, 08:32 PM
Jerad
Pro

These are early sports seats. lsd=option code 220, sport suspension=474 or look for a rear swaybar

If it does not have fuchs or sport seats, it most likely won't have lsd or sport suspension but its a good idea to check anyway. Without any of those options, I think $5-6k would be a good deal for the condition you describe.
Attached Images  
Old 01-23-2006, 08:35 PM
kcryan
Instructor

Where would i find the option codes listed?

and nope still no sport seats....
Old 01-23-2006, 08:36 PM
95Juan
Mexican Ambassador
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kcryan
Where would i find the option codes listed?

and nope still no sport seats....

they're listed on a little option code sticker in the spare wheel well.

gives you lots of info.

if the owner has the owner's manual, and it's original, they should also have the option code glued in there also.
Old 01-23-2006, 08:36 PM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First of all, sounds like a mighty fine car so far. You say it has 51K miles on it. ARE you sure that its not 151k miles? These odometers only show 5 digits, not 6, and you did mention something about the seat bolsters. If it truly is 51K miles original, than you've got the possiblity of a pretty pristine car on your hands here!

If your NOT familiar with these cars, than you need to know about things like their maintenance requirements. Timing belts are the biggest issue, and must be dealt with, even with just age being the factor alone (interference fit engine....of course). Hopefully you've already looked at links like this......924/944/968 Frequently Asked Questions

I have, and love my early cars. They really are not all that much different than the later cars, unless your talking turbos here.

The rear center reflector, I agree, is a dealer option, and some like it, the voiceterous, do not. I like 'em myself! To each their own. To remove it would leave you with holes in the body panels, I doubt you would want to contend with, anyway. So enjoy it, you can always remove the one "Porsche" decal on the back, if your the type that REALLY worries about this kinda stuff.

Ground wire problems are typical of all series of these cars. The earlier ones just happen to be showing their age first. NO big thing. Do the maintenance, and all WILL be well again.

The price. Well, ANY CAR, is worth whatever someone is WILLING to pay for it at ANY given time. IF, this car is low mileage, and "pristene".......I wouldn't be afraid of that price either. A PPI from a KNOWLEDGEABLE MECHANIC of THIS SERIES car, would very much be in order. Shops/mechanics that deal in most only Porsche aircoolers, MAY NOT, neccessarily be the best source of that kind of decision making info (they just MIGHT be a little biased, ya know). Ya want to try and find someone who is pretty familiar with THIS series car.

The color. I've seen 'em. Its not my "favorite" color, but, they sure look good when clean and maintained well! I even tried to make an offer on one some time back, but the fella wouldn't sell.

Belts/rollers/waterpump.........THAT.....you make SURE are the first things you take care of, and make SURE are good. Even on a low mileage car.........WAY........before any cosmetic things you might like to do.

Good luck, and ENJOY!
Old 01-23-2006, 09:17 PM
kcryan
Instructor

Id give it 99% odds its 51k, 151k would have to show some more signs of wear, and according to carfax there have been no odometor rollbacks.

Thanks for the link, id say im pretty knowledgeable about these cars at this point, not nearly to some of your levels, but for general stuff im gettin pretty good.

As i said if i do decide to go with this car, the guys a frend of mine so i could probally drive it for a week or so while deciding, and during that time take it for a PPI.
Old 01-23-2006, 09:27 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome to Rennlist. . .

I also am a fan of the early cars. A lot of guys will bash 'em because they "look old" or whatever. I actually find their interiors a lot less pretentious and having a certain elegance in simplicity that is a bit lacking in the later ones. Personal preference I guess. Not saying the lates are bad, but the early ones aren't all that bad either, IMO.

Another HUGE advantage the early cars have (in addition to being lighter) is that replacement parts are cheaper - considerably so in some cases. There are of course some disadvantages too (some technologies like rear coil-overs or big brakes won't work on the early cars without considerable modifications) but I personally could see paying $4,500 for an early car that's as pristine a specimen as it sounds like you may have happened onto. . .

I hope you end up getting it - they're fine automobiles.

Make sure the belts have been done recently.
Old 01-23-2006, 09:39 PM
kcryan
Instructor

Yea, the belts history is unknown (to me i didnt ask about them yet) but if i get this ill just change them (or if im too poor to spring for the tool) ill pay to have em changed.
Old 01-24-2006, 02:41 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 108 Posts

If it has a rear sway it might just be option code 404 like mine, no sport suspension though. I love the unmolested 83's, you can really tell they are lighter.
Old 01-24-2006, 03:38 PM
kcryan
Instructor

Ill have to see if i can get a look at the suspension at some point...
Old 01-24-2006, 05:09 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It always amazes me how the body on these cars is virtually the same, from '83 to '91! No car company does that anymore!
Old 01-24-2006, 06:45 PM
kcryan
Instructor

Originally Posted by AndyK
It always amazes me how the body on these cars is virtually the same, from '83 to '91! No car company does that anymore!

I think jeep takes the cake there with the wagoneers, they were the same for like 30 years, not even joking.

But yea i know what you mean its kinda nice to have something that noone really knows what year it is unless they really know the car.
Old 01-25-2006, 09:22 AM
Uranium-235
Three Wheelin'

I love the Series I cars, simple design, clean and elegant. I have the center reflector, and I am thinking of taking it off and having the holes filled. I would strongly recommend you do the belts yourself, unless you know a good independant garage you trust to work on 944s. You'll learn a lot about your car and save quite a bit of money, too.

Quick Reply: Some Q's about early 944s