Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally fixing the car and a mecanical question.

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 08:38 AM
Dalilean
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally fixing the car and a mecanical question.

After sitting on my …., ok, this is a family oriented site so let me restart.

Ok, about 4 months ago my 83’ 944 work in progress busted the timing belt and has been siting on the garage since them. My current economy has kept me from starting up with the project, but last weekend I said what the hell. I started to dismantle the engine. This weekend I finally got to take out the engine block. Pics to be posted later.

Since you HAVE to look at the bright side of life, I only bent 3 valves and barely scratched the pistons. I also realized that the car’s previous owner had done a couple of upgrades. The timing belt had the turbo water pump guard, you know, the metal barrier so the belts don’t hit each other. I used to find traces of oil in the radiator water even after fixing the oil cooler. Apparently the head gasket was leaking in some degree. I did find it weird that the head gasket said “turbo” on one of the sides. Could it be that my engine had been upgraded more than what I thought? I doubt it.

I did find something that worried me though. A couple of the lifters (tappets) seemed to be stuck. Most would spring right up with no problem, but some just would be in a fixed position.
Is there some way to unfreeze these things, some industrial solvent or the likes?

Also, does Felpro or Victor carry our head gasket available?

Since I have the engine dismantled and opened up, is there a mod I should consider before I put everything back together?

PS. To all those who though my baby would end up like all those other “project” cars….
Old 01-23-2006, 09:31 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

most lifters should be very stiff since they are hydraulic and have oil in them, if they are loose then they either have no oil in there from sitting or they are bad- prob just need to be pumped up when the motor starts up. The TURBO on the HG is on most ive seen, same gasket as the turbo i believe this is the superceeded replacement for all HG's. I would call up www.paragon-products.com not affiliated but ive done tons of business w/ them and they have everything you need- just tell them you need EVERYTHING. Get some valves, take the head to a machine shop and have them check the head out and put the valves back in and lap them in or do a valve job for ya...or do it yourself but w/ bent valves i would at least have it checked to make sure a guide isnt damaged. I would do fuel injector seals, belts, gaskets and if your willing since you have the motor out do your bottom end bearings "while your in there". Check your clutch out and make sure theres not a rubber centered clutch in there and this could be a good time to check out your engine mounts, hoses and front suspension bushings as well. I did 968 caster blocks while i had mine out since i was gonna need an alignment anyways.

Quick Reply: Finally fixing the car and a mecanical question.