Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I Had An Automotive Epiphany Last Night

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 10:30 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 116 Likes on 84 Posts
Default I Had An Automotive Epiphany Last Night

I Had An Epiphany Last Night while watching Barrett Jackson.

Background: I bought my house from the estate of a close friend of the family. My parents were very friendly with him and his next door neighbor.

Go back about 40 years:
My dad took me to the basement of the house next door to my current house. In the basement on the floor was a Revell 1/24 (i think) slot car set. The owner was selling it, and my dad bought it for me. I was too young to appreciate it, but i appreciated it none the less. The cars were a red GTO (the real one) which i still have, a white 63 Vette, which mysteriously disappeared in the late 70s, and a green aston which i peter max'd with oil paints in the mid 70s.

after my dad loaded up the trunk of his big Buick with the slot car set we went next door to what is now my house to visit "uncle louie".

While standing in front of what is now my home a neighbor with a ford sunliner retractable came by. In the middle of the street he put on a show for me and opened and closed the top.

With a red GTO in my hand, I saw a retractable open and close.

Fast Forward 40 years to last night:
Last night a red sunliner (perhaps the "very same car", like the RX7 i bought used in 96 that i bought new in 85 but didnt close on, but thats a different story) was on the block at Barrett. Looking at the car on TV I realized that when I saw that sunliner some 40 years ago was the moment i became a car nut. Or that was the moment the proverbial needle first went into my arm.

Since then I've had too many red cars. Red Firebird, Red 944 S2, Red Z28, Red Legend Coupe, Red.....

When did you get your first hit of the auto addiction?

Last edited by Tom R.; 01-19-2006 at 11:58 AM.
Old 01-19-2006, 10:43 AM
nickg
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was kinda born with it, my old man had hot rods and used to build drag racers when he was younger. I grew up in a 396 nova(which my brother wrecked in 1985) My old man had a cobra in between Vietnam tours. I guess the frst time i knew I loved porsches was as a 10 year old, a freind of my brothers had a silver 914. I used to get picked up by him for work when we had the same shift, I remember it like yesterday, I knew then I would have one of those...and I did get one when i was 12 and still have it to this day 23 years later. Myself, i am probably responsible for more Porsches being parted than most have seen (I am over 150 cars parted ) but have had 4 Grand Nationals, a Gnx(stolen) numerus 944/s/s2/turbo, 924s/turbo(at least 5) the usual mustsang gt's, Iroc camaros, 4 Audi Quattros(the good ones) , a few 4kq's, a 5ktq, 03 evo 8(bought new...fast car), 2 tacomas new, 05 tundra, countless gti's (12 calloways(i used to build them) a 95 vr6 i bought new, at least 5 16 valvers . I geuss in my life of 35 years I have had about 400+ cars ( I have 10 now) My wife is very understanding and realized a long time ago that I can't do anything halfway, and that obbsession is part of life

Quick Reply: I Had An Automotive Epiphany Last Night