Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have experience busting off Porsche lug locks?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 02:40 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GlenL
Chisel from the top. Get it behind the edge and smack it hard. The tumbler will fall out, pull off the shield and you'll be able to unscrew the nuts. Maybe 1 minute for the first one and 15 seconds for each following lock.
Bingo! My experience exactly except even the first one was a 15 second job.

Don't forget eye protection. The top of the bloody thing shot over my shoulder each time.
Old 01-10-2006, 02:43 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BigNNasty
Why do you all even want to take them off permanently in the first place? (besides not having a key)
Consider for one thing that they are 99.99% ineffective. Only a moron could not defeat them in just a matter of a couple of minutes.

In the time it would take to drill one tumbler I could defeat a whole army of these things with nothing more than a hammer and a cold chisel.
Old 01-10-2006, 02:45 PM
cjeckert
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Not to mention who is going to steal our rims anyway as far as a know no other car company uses the same lug patern as porsche. Also anyone notive that the lug nuts are uncainly light...like it dosnt feel like ur holding anything even with all 20 in your hand.

Correction i think vw uses the same lug pattern
Old 01-10-2006, 02:59 PM
BigNNasty
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CJ...

Yea, jettas have the same wheel pattern I guess. Plus, the wheels can bring good money for such a small amount of time it would take to get them.

Even thought I wouldn't have to worry about my car being on blocks, people in my town pull pranks a lot. Kid recently got his hubcap stolen, and, they took all his lugnuts off his wheel.
Old 01-10-2006, 03:43 PM
Dmitry S.
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Nope, early Jettas are 4x100 and the later ones are 5x100.

VW guys use special H&R adapters to run Porsche wheels.
Old 01-10-2006, 03:49 PM
BigNNasty
Racer

Ahh!

Well, I only mentioned it as I saw a Jetta guy running 944 Turbo wheels on his car, and nowhere did it mention he used adapters.
Old 01-10-2006, 04:00 PM
L8 APEKS
Three Wheelin'

LOLOL! I can't believe how many people have had to do this! Thanks so much, I ran out of time today (bled the brake without removing the wheel) and I have to leave for work. I'll get it off tomorrow, probably with the drill method.
Old 01-10-2006, 04:09 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Done it more times than I can count.
I have about 3 tricks.
You can use a chisel behind the lip from above, but this will sometimes mark up the wheel.
I've used a chisel on the front. Right at the corners, I cut 2 slits opposite each other, and then pry the cover open a little bit.
Or, I figured this one out by accident while using a chisel on the front. If you hit the front with a chisel, you'll see a metal ring come loose inside, just infront of the lock part, behind the cover. If you pry this ring out, then the cover slides right off. Once the cover is removed, take the lug nut off, put it in a vise, and use a long punch to knock the center part out of the lug nut.

Had to do this for a few friends who have lost their keys. I'm the unofficial expert on it now
There are other ways, but in all of my experiences, the center portion of the lock was detached from the outer edge. Meaning that it spun freely. So, drill bits simply rotated the center portion.
Old 01-10-2006, 05:05 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 115 Likes on 83 Posts

CJ...

Yea, jettas have the same wheel pattern I guess. Plus, the wheels can bring good money for such a small amount of time it would take to get them.

Even thought I wouldn't have to worry about my car being on blocks, people in my town pull pranks a lot. Kid recently got his hubcap stolen, and, they took all his lugnuts off his wheel.
in your town i would worry more about someone filling the keyhole with epoxy and sticking a penny on.

As far as busting lug nutz, heck i am an expert at busting nutz, i got my practice at spaulding the sporting goods company that makes *****. i was in QC, my job was to see how much effort it took to break em.
Old 01-10-2006, 05:28 PM
BigNNasty
Racer

O joy...

You just always have something to say don't you?

Epoxy wont do jack as it is, heat to it for more then 5 mins will loosen it up...

Whoever said I'd run locks?

Keep your stupid smartalic *** comments to yourself...

And personally, if you still have that 'bird, I seriously hope someone jacks the effing wheels off of it, just because those are the gayest wheels ever made...
Old 01-10-2006, 05:32 PM
Chipster
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 28 Posts

I blew a tire on the interstate - then broke the wheel key off in the lock. After 5 minutes of pounding the snot out of it with a hammer and flat-head screwdriver, it was off. I immediately went home and took out my anger on the remaining locks. I hate these things.
Old 01-10-2006, 05:46 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom R.
in your town i would worry more about someone filling the keyhole with epoxy and sticking a penny on.
OH SNAP!
Attached Images  
Old 01-10-2006, 06:00 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 115 Likes on 83 Posts

O joy...

You just always have something to say don't you?

Epoxy wont do jack as it is, heat to it for more then 5 mins will loosen it up...

Whoever said I'd run locks?

Keep your stupid smartalic *** comments to yourself...

And personally, if you still have that 'bird, I seriously hope someone jacks the effing wheels off of it, just because those are the gayest wheels ever made...
Thanks for the compliment on the firebird. It is nice to know a 15 year old thinks the most popular aftermarket wheel ever sold is gay. i guess every hot rodder from the last five decades is gay too.

i know i should pimp the car out with some 22s to make it look like something you saw in a mtv video.

do a little research on the history of the cragar s/s. I guess the edelbrock manifold and the quadrajet is gay too. maybe if i put a holley double pumper in it wouldnt be as gay.

boy do i feel like
Old 01-10-2006, 06:12 PM
Captain Tal
Advanced

So this is how the thieves steal the wheels.

Glad I have titanium wheel bolts. Not gonna compromise those with a chisel or drill.
Old 01-10-2006, 06:16 PM
Mouthpiece
Addict
Rennlist Member

My car's PO could not find his key and had the lug locks removed when putting on a new set of tires before turning the car over to me. After I got the car I found all of the lock keys in the ash tray. I figure that must be a safe place to hide things.

Quick Reply: Anyone have experience busting off Porsche lug locks?!