Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corbeau A4's question

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2006, 01:02 PM
VaSteve
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corbeau A4's question

I know there was some buzz a while back about these seats because I did a search!

I wanted a long term perspective from people who have had them a while.

How are they on comfort? I know they are "agressive in the kidneys" What does that mean? I've heard about modding the foam. Anyone needed to do that?

How good on the track? Flex?

I have heard the materials are generally cheap but how cheap?

How difficult to attach to the 944? I'm too cheap to buy a slider, if I can fix mount it. Or can I take the sliders off my stock seats and modify it?

Please include: How tall are you and how much do you weight?

Many thanks!
Old 01-06-2006, 03:00 PM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts

can't comment on the specific seat in question but i can comment about corbeau in general.

the quality is good enough for the price of the seat. it's actually as good as a cheaper sparco seat i bought.

the corbeau mounting brackets generally suck unless you get the side mounts. you'll probably have to fab your own and use the factory sliders.

my seat (FX1-pro) has kidney supports that actually feel pretty good once you get used to it.
Old 02-23-2006, 08:25 PM
IPSC
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Corbeau A4 is a very narrow seat at the bottom. I am 5 foot 8 and weigh 150 lbs. I have a 31 inch waist and the seat is almost too small for me. Now I see on the website they offer a wider version which I would opt for if I were buying these again.
I went through a huge ordeal buying a set and having them reupholstered in Tan and Black. I did this for two reasons. One, the seats I purchased were damaged seats (someone had opened a box with a box cutter and sliced the backs) and I just wanted tan and Black seats to match the interior. So starting off I was into the seats cheap. The upholstery was initial cheap till the guy doing it realized what a HUGE pain in the *** the bolsters turned out to be. He said two weeks it took him nine and then I had to find someone else fix his mistakes.
I will say this, GO FIND one to sit in before you buy and the sliders are pretty cheap. I had to do a fair bit of fabricating to get them to work right. They are a little over $350 a seat. All In all I would save an extra $150 to $200 per and get a set of Sparco Torinos unless you can get a REALLY good deal on the Corbeaus.

IPSC
Old 02-23-2006, 08:38 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm surprised to hear that people had problems with the sliders. Mine fit perfectly and I had no problems at all with them. I did, however, recently fabricate my own mounting bracket for the drivers side, since I wanted a fixed mount (rather than the weaker slider mount) and I wanted the seating position lowered and raked back a bit. The bracket was fairly easy to fab.

I can't comment on the A4's, since mine are Forza's. Not bad seats for the money.
Old 02-23-2006, 08:59 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Steve,
Whatever you decide on seats, contact me. I'll be able to help you out with the price. My soon to be website will be carrying Corbeau, as well as Sparco and a couple others.
Eyal
Old 02-23-2006, 09:23 PM
DanG
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a $175 pair of barely used A4s waiting to go in the 951. I'm hoping to mount them on the stock sliders, or build my own fixed mounts. I should have some feedback for you in a few months.
Old 02-23-2006, 10:35 PM
spedracer18
Racer

The sliders for my forzas were real simple, but perhaps it is a different slider. I would be surprised if it is though.
Old 02-24-2006, 01:09 AM
jaje
Three Wheelin'

VaSteve...i have the Kirkey Int Pro race seat - i've found it to be the best seat for those of us who are 6'+ (I think you posted this over on the 44 Cup board). Let me know if you want to check out my setup (sparco sliders and alum side mounts).
Old 02-24-2006, 10:36 AM
VaSteve
Three Wheelin'

I ended up getting the Forzas for a couple of reasons. Price was one; nobody local had them. I figured I could buy and try and if I hated it, the name would at least carry it on eBay. I tried to use the factory sliders. It was a major PITA trying to get the metal all lined up since the brackets on the seats are different. I didn't want to keep drilling the holes bigger and using a bunch of washers, so I ponied up and bought the official Corbeau sliders.

I had to head down to lowes and get slightly longer bolts for the back. The sliders I got from Corbeau were identical on both sides....thus all 4 bolts lined up in the back on the drivers side, only 2 in the back on the passenger side.

I'm 6'0 ~36 waist, 199# and they fit me me pretty well. I like the way the feel on the street after 1 week.

I removed the seatbelts from the stock seats and drilled a hole in the tunnel. I mounted my seat belt mount to that as well as part of the lap belt for my harnesses. It lines up directly with the edge of the seat where I have it set.

Quick Reply: Corbeau A4's question