Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Safe chemical for dissolving adhesive?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006 | 03:10 AM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sharky47
Car is outside, are Nitrile gloves good for tolulene?
For..........about..........30 seconds, maybe a little longer..........Thats about it.

IF, your really worried about the chemical aspect of all this stuff, you need to go to an industrial supply company, and/or ...look up all the chemicals that you are going to be using, and what they require as far as "personal protective equiptment". Find out what the chemical makeup is in the product your gonna use, then, look up the MSDS on it ( I believe a lot are online, and all companies producing these chemicals MUST make this available), and take a looky-peeky. I'll warn ya though........its liable to scare the living CRAP outta ya! Typical stuff, however. I deal with more chemical crap at Boeing than you can shake a stick at! Don't worry.....Be Happy!.........Die young!
Only kidding, about the last part! Better safe.......than STUPID!!
Old 01-03-2006 | 01:02 PM
PorscheDreamerPA
Intermediate

Sort of a related question...

My "new" `87 944S has the obligatory oval "D" sticker next to the license plate. Most of it has flaked away so I want to remove the rest (I also hate stickers all together). Any ideas that won't hurt the paint?
Old 01-03-2006 | 01:11 PM
GOSANE
Banned

Originally Posted by jim 7
Basically you need tolulene to loosen glue. Make sure you avoid skin contact as absortion is 100% and goes to your internals, not so good. And have good ventilation or do it outside.

Please use this stuff in a WELL ventilated area. Tolulene is the stuff in glue that "huffers" inhale. Yep the old airplane glue buzzzzz. Not good for brain cells or the liver. Makes for a very good octane booster though. ;^)
Old 01-03-2006 | 01:33 PM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by PorscheDreamerPA

My "new" `87 944S has the obligatory oval "D" sticker next to the license plate. Most of it has flaked away so I want to remove the rest (I also hate stickers all together). Any ideas that won't hurt the paint?
WD40
Old 01-03-2006 | 01:35 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Use heat gun (carefully, not too hot) to loosen the adhesive, peel off the vinyl, then use any of the adhesive removers (Un-Goo, goo gone, etc. even WD40 works pretty well) to remove the remaining adhesive residue. Sometimes, pulling the vinyl off at just the right angle causes the adhesive to come off with the vinyl. I've also used the aerosol glass cleaners (like Stoners) to remove adhesives and they work quite well. Mineral spirits works well on the really tough jobs, but it dries quickly so its difficult to use on vertical surfaces. The adhesive removers tend to remove the car wax also, so a quick spot wax will be in order afterwards.

Disclaimer: My car is a track car, so even though I like it to look nice, I'm not overly concerned with minor blemishes. I would recommend testing any product in an inconspicuous area first before using anywhere it might stand out.
Old 01-05-2006 | 03:02 AM
inactiveuser92616
Drifting

I have had good luck using WD40. Worked great on the ungodly adhesive used on the "final warning, will tow" (first warning) pasted on my window by my GF's apt complex.
Old 01-12-2008 | 07:27 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by patrat
I have had good luck using WD40. Worked great on the ungodly adhesive used on the "final warning, will tow" (first warning) pasted on my window by my GF's apt complex.
Just confirmed this by removing the sticker adhesive from a new metal thermos bottle and going for the hood insulation adhesive now. Thanks!

WD-40 is like Clark's Garage -try using it first to help with whatever you're doing!
Old 01-12-2008 | 07:42 AM
84-944
Instructor

I use denatured alcohol to remove graphics adhesive, seems to work pretty well with out damaging paint FWIW.

Quick Reply: Safe chemical for dissolving adhesive?