Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seafoam test

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2006 | 01:56 AM
mark944turbo
Three Wheelin'

I would worry about this stuff causing very high combustion temperatures, as the previous owner of a 951 I used to have put this stuff in, then drove for a while at a normal boost level with normal chips but somehow holed an exhaust valve. I havent looked at the link yet, but does anyone know what the stuff is made of? Alcohol?
Old 01-01-2006 | 10:16 AM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

If you look at the website and view the MSDS it says the main ingredients are

PALE OIL - 40% to 60% ( not sure WTF this is!! )
NAPTHA -
IPA -

ALso mentions that it's 100% petroleum based......interesting stuff!
Old 01-01-2006 | 10:44 AM
Izzy
Three Wheelin'

Refined oils produced via hydrogenation (semi-synthetic), basically producing a super-clear or at least yellow-to-clear napthenic oil. Its not a cheap process but its certainly a decent solvent for carbon.

Just pull the head and go at it with a wire brush after pouring it in
Old 01-01-2006 | 11:28 AM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Imagine what would happen to your spool up time if you replaced the cracked headers
Old 01-01-2006 | 11:32 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

yano the reason your header is cracked is prob. due to the clogged cat. Dont put a new header on until you replace that, too much backpressure and heat...that would cause a power loss big time.

i ran some e-check in a bottle through an n/a supra i had once that was real carboned up. THat thing smoked for miles on the highway then cleared up and ran much stronger after that, musta cleaned the carbon off the valves or something.
Old 01-01-2006 | 01:53 PM
tod84944
Drifting

I have used the stuff in my cars for a couple of years now. What I do, I pull the main vac line off of the brake booster with the car off. I put the connector barely in the opening and start the car. I pull the connector back off and put my thumb on it to keep the car running. I slowly pour the stuff in with the car at idle. I will then put my thumb back over the vac hose connector, and rev the engine up some. Like the others have said, it will smoke like crazy. I have had great results with it. I usually pour half the can into the vac hose, and the other half in the tank.
Old 01-01-2006 | 02:18 PM
kennycoulter
Drifting

would pouring this into a vac hoce cause the hose to fail early since its so harsh on carbon? im a little confused on everyones explanations of the process. im more a picture guy.
Old 01-01-2006 | 02:31 PM
Zero10
Race Car

tod84944, you can't use the brake booster hose on a 951, since it doesn't feed all cylinders. I thought about using one of the lines going onto the tree shaped intercooler pipe, but then I would have to remove the airbox snorkel. Plus they're a little big. If I pulled one of those lines the car would run pretty badly.

I wasn't too worried about hoses failing, since it is just a petroleum product, anything that is gas/oil safe should take it. However I did use some other tubing just incase something did happen to it.

I really want to replace the headers, but I can't afford $1-2k for a good aftermarket header system, and I just can't talk myself into replacing headers with other ones that can crack. I might have mine welded down the road. If I did, the head shields would be coming off, and they would get heat wrapped. However, mine are so badly warped... I'm not sure that they could ever be straight. It would be great to have a quick spooling turbo though.
The headers were cracked before, and I think the cat was okay when I got the car. It had 162k miles on it, but things seemed okay.

Has anybody ever had custom headers made for their 951? Perhaps a local exhaust shop can salvage my flanges, or find new ones, and build some headers in-place?...
Maybe that's just wishful thinking.
Old 01-01-2006 | 04:05 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

ski also said he uses seafoam.
zero10 you might ask special tool if he'll part with his old headers at a decent price. As I recall he had them swealed up tight before he upgraded to his new SFR headers.
Old 01-01-2006 | 06:02 PM
GOSANE
Banned

I had my doubts about using SF in the crankcase. Still do. Sounds like you do too. So, folks believe some of the product claims but not others?? I still don't see any benifit in using this stuff in a healthy engine. Any thing that is such a strong solvent and is used in a running engine would surely clean the oilfilm off the cyl walls while running, not good especially on an Alusil alloy block. (aluminum cyl walls) I would like to have seen cyl compression data and leakdown data before and after the treatment.

The lubromoly treatment which is very similar is famous for unseating the piston rings causing other problems. It has been said that they will reseat if the rings are new enough to still retain their tension against the cyl walls. But it usually takes a few thousand miles.

Also This sounds like a product that might work as an occasional "bottle per tank full injector cleaner". Much like the active ingrediant in most good inj cleaners, Jectron (sp).

Nothing personal towards anyone but I'm still skeptical.

GOSANE
Old 01-01-2006 | 06:37 PM
Zero10
Race Car

No, I wouldn't use it in my crankcase. And if your engine is perfectly healthy, with very little carbon on the piston crowns, I wouldn't bother using it in the intake either. In my case I had extreme carbon buildup. You could actually see dents in the carbon from the valves it was so thick. No point in using it in the oil, since everything in there was perfectly clean, with no sludge or varnish buildup at all. That's how it should be considering it had 4 oil changes in 6000 miles since it was built. I will probably run a second bottle through in the spring. It only has about 30 hours of insurance left on it before it gets parked for the winter, and I still have to wash it again.
Old 01-01-2006 | 08:50 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

I'm a fan of SF as I have used it in a few cars. I was reluctant to use it in the 951 since I dunno what the liquid moving through the turbo fins spinning at 50,000-120,000 RPM would do though. I always run the car hard after letting sit.
Eyal
Old 01-01-2006 | 10:25 PM
XxKHxX
Advanced

so for a 84' N/A, do u just disconnect the vacuum hose from the brake booster? and to confirm, is that the black round thing on the drivers side?
Old 01-01-2006 | 10:28 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Yup, brake booster is the black round thing attached to the firewall. The master cylinder is attached to it.
Old 01-01-2006 | 11:16 PM
mark944turbo
Three Wheelin'

Anyone who does this please post results. I bought a can...

Quick Reply: Seafoam test