Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Confessions of an early car dumbass. . .

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 06:11 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Confessions of an early car dumbass. . .

Okay. The good news is I THINK I've solved the mystery of why my '85 n/a keeps dripping oil out the front crank seal after three seal/drive sleeve changes.

I just went on the Pelican web site to order seal #4 and drive sleeve #3 when I realized low and behold there are TWO drive sleeves. Check it out:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/..._pg1.htm#item3

One for '83 through 06/'84 and one for 07/'84 onward. All the other stuff I've gotten was through the local dealer. How much you want to BET my car (being an early '85) has a MANUFACTURE date prior to 06/'84 and all along I've been getting 07/'84 and later drive sleeves (think about it - guy at dealer asks "what year is the car" and I say "early '85" he doesn't ask, "what's the BUILD DATE of the car").

So I'm off to check the manufacture date of my car. . . I'm betting that's it. If so, this will HUGELY make me feel better.

Questions for the gurus:

(1) Why did Porsche change the drive sleeve? What are the differences exactly? I notice the oil pumps changed as well, but why?

(2) Has anyone else had this happen?

I'll keep you all posted on the development. I can't believe this has been overlooked on THREE changes to this point. Everything LOOKED correct going back together, but who knows. Could it be? Could this really be the answer?
Old 12-30-2005, 07:23 PM
austin944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

I know there are 2 oil sleeves, and each sleeve requires a different seal:
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...hlight=38x52x7

You have to know your engine number to get the right one. I suppose the build date
might do.

If you have an old seal (which didn't leak) you can check the part/size on it and
double-check which seal/sleeve combo you will need as a replacement. It's either
38x55x7 (early) or 38x52x7 (late).
http://home.att.net/~porsche944/seals/dscn0533-1-0.html

Sorry can't help with the differences.
Old 12-30-2005, 07:36 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Im not sure about the change, but perhaps it has something to do with power steering vs manual. I think I read on here that the 83s (and early 84s?) had a shorter nose on the crankshaft. A longer nose was added for power steering, to get the distance away from the belt covers for the pully. Maybe that involved changes to the drive sleeve and such?
Old 12-30-2005, 10:21 PM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

MAN! You NEED to subscribe to Alldata.com, and get ALL those TSB's! More info in there, than you'd EVER want to know!

Then you NEED to realize, that when ordering parts for these cars, you should almost ALWAYS use the "engine" number.......ESPECIALLY, when ordering engine parts.......for obvious reasons.

ENGINE NUMBER!! NOT THE CAR'S MANUFACTURES DATE! You'll be a lot more SURE of getting the correct parts that way.

Your oil leakage problem, is probably NOT from this........Sorry. Its coming from somewhere else. You just haven't found it yet. If ya keep trying the same thing over and over, and don't see a different result......then maybe its time to look elsewhere?

Butt, ya might be on to something...just don't bet on it. Why would ya expect a different result, when doing the same thing? No harm intended here, just a thought.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:05 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

No, it's absolutely coming from the front crank seal. 100% positive. I can post pics.
Old 12-31-2005, 11:52 AM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe ya, its just that sometimes it IS rather difficult to tell that it really is that, and not trailing from somewhere else. Good Luck with it! I'm gonna be getting into the front end (headgasket) of my '83 today, with all new seals and such along the way myself, and hope it all comes out good in the end. Crap like leaky seals can drive a guy nuts, ya know!
Old 12-31-2005, 11:55 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

I've been accused of that. . .

Quick Reply: Confessions of an early car dumbass. . .