Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

86 944 Turbo Clutch problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 11:42 AM
rphillips
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 86 944 Turbo Clutch problem

Symptoms: Clutch pedal will not return to home position after shift made during heavy braking (Mosport corner 5 for example) and requires a light tap from behind with foot for pedal to return to home position.

Other info: Clutch pedal ALWAYS behaves normally during upshifts. The clutch system has been bled three times (including once by Porsche mechanic) without any signs of air. This (obviously) hasn't addressed the problem. There is no loss of brake fluid at either cylinder. When the clutch is released and the pedal stays close to the floor, power flows through the clutch. The clutch feels progressive during engagement beginning within a small handful of mm’s of travel (perhaps just the elongation of the return spring but you can feel slight vibration of the release bearing at this point).

Suspected stuff:
1. Flexing of the firewall during application of the brakes is distorting the master cylinder of the clutch and causing its piston to bind.
2. There is something else binding as clutch "system" passes through the firewall.
3. Binding of the clutch release fork or release bearing.
4. Leaking master/slave.

Anyone else ever had this problem and can offer a solution? I see some similar postings in the archives but usually the default recommendation is replacing the master and slave cylinders but I'm not convinced I am seeing the same thing.

While I have the winter to fix this, I’d rather not go to the trouble of pulling the clutch apart if it turns out that all I had to do was click my heels and chant "I want it to work" three times...

Cheers,
Rob

Quick Reply: 86 944 Turbo Clutch problem