Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tools....

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2005, 02:43 AM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tools....

It's a running joke with my friends about the state my tools are usually in... sad... i know.

So to quote friend Ryan "You ask Mike for a tool, he tells you to turn around, walk 5 paces, step left, lift a piece of carboard, crawl under it, right your arm to the right, towards a light (that you cant see mind you), swipe to the left under a random car part and grab that 12mm wrench you were looking for".... ok I may have exagerated what Ryan said a bit, but not much. Anyway, my father bought me a friend's Snap On top box for Christmas, so no more of that hunting for a certain tool around my barn or in the famed "cardboard box of tools" or on one of the random work benches. I was going to work on the 944's tonight, but decided to do this instead:

It's not full, there is still lots of room in the box, including the bottem drawer. Thankfully there are pleanty more tools I'd like to own, and well there is still lots of stuff still in the basement and the other 3 boxes. Anyway, just thought I'd share the highlight of my xmas.
Old 12-26-2005, 03:05 AM
shmucklebuckle
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cool!
Old 12-26-2005, 09:23 AM
apierce918
Addic
Rennlist Member

should we start placing bets on how long it will stay neat? i made my box all purdy, and now that im in a project, i have more tools scattered on the workbench then i do put away
Old 12-26-2005, 10:13 AM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Take it from me, they will stay like that for no more than 1 wrenching session. After that, back to the "where did I put that" state! Nice pick up!
Old 12-26-2005, 10:34 AM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

My wife bought me a nice toolbox for my B-day last Oct. I spent a full weekend gather up my tools and organizing them by type and size, etc. 2.5 months later, my tools now look like they did the day before my Bday.....
Old 12-26-2005, 10:55 AM
GlenL
Nordschleife Master

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

This is a most-do once you've got a lot of tools! You'll want those socket organizer sticks as well.

I used to have multiple tool boxes with tools everywhere. Mixed SAE and Metric and was very frustrated with it. It was certain that at the worst point in a job I owuldn't be able to find the right tool. Now it's all organized and I spend very little time looking for them and zero frustration is involved. A huge leap forward for enjoyable wrenching.
Old 12-26-2005, 11:11 AM
seb928s
Three Wheelin'

Haha I had my tools all nice and neat like that then I used them..... Anyhow I try to keep it nice and clean but with my dad using some of the tools around the house and random screwdrivers popping up everywhere there is no end. You can just always use that picture to remind you how it's suppose to look

Trending Topics

Old 12-26-2005, 12:03 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice, and I agree w/Glen. I have two boxes, one mechanic stuff and the other house stiff, the SAE are in the house box. With just a few deviders all the pieces stay "grouped", that's as **** as I need to be.
Old 12-26-2005, 12:27 PM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Gotta love a toolbox. I've got a huge one, and right now it'd take me 15 minutes to find you a 13mm socket. I've even bought extras. I don't know where they go, but they go somewhere. The bad thing is, I just got this box this summer, so everything was organized at least briefly. Not anymore.

I've only known one guy to have a meticulously organized and spotless toolbox. He didn't know how to use them though.
Old 12-26-2005, 02:25 PM
goingboeing737
Burning Brakes

I've got 2 small roll around tool boxes for most of my tools.

One of the best things I picked up at Costco about two years ago is a set from MasterCraft tools. It is kind of similar to the one pictured below. The one I have has some screwdrivers, pliers, and other things as well.

What is so great about it is every socket and wrench has a spot. So, even though stuff gets scattered during the project, when it comes time to button it up, you can tell if anything is missing. Plus, it's portable and goes with me on most road trips in the 944.

The tools have held up as well as any Craftsman that I have (I was surprised) and the plastic case is damn durable.

Old 12-26-2005, 06:38 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Nice Mike! Let's hope it stays that way!

I got the big box last year, and a few more tools from the S/O this year, and the permission to drop the cash on a big purchase in a few weeks for the garage. Details to come later.........

I've managed to keep my tools organized, but it is a chore.
Old 12-26-2005, 07:54 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

My sisters got me a huge roller and a storage box that goes ontop by Craftsman. Its great, but i really dont have much use for it as my house has no garage, and the entrance is elevated. So basically its this huge portable tool chest with wheels...that will be stuck inside the house! Id leave it at my fathers shop, but i dont intend on leaving my tools there year round as its just to far of a drive to get say...a screw driver from my box. Its a shame my parents house has no garage, its probably the most thoughtful gift given to me and i really dont have the facilities to use it properly.

I do however like the box my Craftsmen set came in..its a 3-400 something piece set and came with a case that has the molds for everything it came with. Keeps everything nice and organized for the most part. My other tool box is a complete disaster though! One thing i need to do is clean my tools, its such a pain in the butt though.
Old 12-26-2005, 07:57 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Clean and put your tools away after you are done using them, and you will never look for them again in places where they aren't suppose to be
Old 12-26-2005, 08:46 PM
GlenL
Nordschleife Master

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Karl2bdc
Clean and put your tools away after you are done using them, and you will never look for them again in places where they aren't suppose to be.
I wish I did more of this before, I suspect, they've fallen out onto the highway!

I need to make a list of missing sockets and wrenches before my next visit to the local used tool shop.
Old 12-27-2005, 02:51 AM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Karl2bdc
Clean and put your tools away after you are done using them, and you will never look for them again in places where they aren't suppose to be
Yeah, I'm very good about it when I'm working at friend's places. We just stack stuff on the top of the boxes and then go back and clean them and put them away and the end of each "work" session. Thanks for the comments guys! They will be staying organized (and yeah, I need sticks for my sockets as I only have a few small trays right now). Still doing much better than the scattered around the barn before.

Quick Reply: Tools....