Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valve seals: What cement to use

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2005, 09:42 PM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Valve seals: What cement to use

I'm getting ready to do a head gasket replacement, along with other stuff, on my '83. Parts are on their way. I plan on the very minimum, of lapping the valves myself, and replacing valve seals, depending on what I see on dismantle. Compression tests are real good on this engine. I'm not interested in taking this one to the machine shop, at least at this time. Unless, of course, I find that the guides themselfs are not in spec. Then, it will go to the shop for the whole package deal, and I'll bite the bullet over it.

I must assume at this point, that the head will have valve guides that are of the production type without the groves in them for the seals, thus they should be cemented on the guides. I know the TSB states to use Loctite 306 cement on valve guide, and the Loctite NF (hardener) on the seal itself. I need to make sure I have a product to do this with, here, when I'm ready to do the job.

I was wondering what, if anything, you all have used that is as suitable, and more easily accessable to purchase than this Loctite. Engine builders advise REALLY appreciated here. Search feature here, has not been fruitful for me.

If you've used this Loctite, where did you get it from online? I've not had the chance to make any calls yet, and don't see this on the couple of the online catalogs, at the typical vendors, I've checked at. I need to come up with some type of cement for this prior to the 22nd of this month.

Suggestions, advise gladly welcomed here.

THANKS!
Old 12-15-2005, 10:06 PM
WolfeMacleod
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Ken, when are you starting this job? I certainly woulnd't mind coming up and observing and turning a few wrenches

BTW, you should be getting an email from PCA soon.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:48 PM
triscadek
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure about the 944, but I've done valve seals on cars and motorcycles and they just pushed on.

Loctite is availible at any auto or motorcycle parts store.
Old 12-15-2005, 11:18 PM
awilson40
Three Wheelin'

I just pressed mine on.
Old 03-08-2008, 10:29 PM
thoen
Racer

what is involved with replacing the valve seals. I am getting smoke only when starting the car. do i need to remove than the cam tower? any special tools? a friend told me to use a comressor to keep the valves from falling into the engine. any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.
Old 03-08-2008, 11:36 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

hopefully if you are putting new guides in they will come machined FOR your application and they will have the grooves to push your new seals onto. I use a 10-11mm socket that fits over them onto the lip and i just push/tap them on carefully. If they dont have grooves for some reason, have the machine shop that installs the guides glue the seals on.

Quick Reply: Valve seals: What cement to use