Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XM Roady anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2005, 11:51 PM
VaSteve
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XM Roady anyone?

I spent most of my evening wiring up a new XM Roady that I got from Wal Mart for $28.64 - deal of the century. Anyhow, the only thing I have left to do is actually mount it. Anyone have any photos of how you did it?

I'm considering going right on top of the clock because it doesn't work anyway or somehow mounting a bracket inside the "cup" under the radio. The big thing is that I want to minimize wires running all over the place - I actually cut up the cigarette lighter plug in to hide the wiring behind the dash. MacGyver has nothing on me!

Any photos, tips?
Old 12-14-2005, 01:20 AM
sharky47
Set to Full-Auto
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 67 Posts

I used the vent clip on mine and clipped it to the non-functioning vent part on the far right of the central vent - this is on a late car. Not ideal, but it looks fine.
Old 12-14-2005, 01:36 AM
michaelathome
Race Car

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Sticky pads SUCK!

We tried the vent clip on my wifes car and the vent proved to be too loose and kept falling with the extra weight. Tried the sticky pads provided after cleaning the dash with rubbing alcohol, and getting both heated using a heat gun (last Christmas it was cold) and it only held for 3 or 4 months till the sun and heat got to things and it popped off. Haven't tried to mount it again since then.

Since you are mounting this in a 944/2 (85.5 up) there is an insert right next to the clock on the dash trim. I would try cleaning/heating and adding the stickey pad as well as a couple screws to that insert, I haven't tried to get it out so I do not know how much pressure it can take before popping out though.

That is what I would do for what ever that is worth,

Michael
Old 12-14-2005, 09:37 AM
VaSteve
Three Wheelin'

Where do you acquire that plastic stuff that many people insert where the "cup" is to mount gauges, etc?
Old 12-14-2005, 10:08 AM
jgporsche
Drifting

Do you mean one of these?

Old 12-14-2005, 10:18 AM
VaSteve
Three Wheelin'

Yes, that.
Old 12-14-2005, 10:24 AM
jgporsche
Drifting

You can get them from many places. That pic was taken off the 9xauto website. Lindsey has a blank faceplate (w/out cut outs), that you may be interested in.
Old 12-14-2005, 10:28 AM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

Lindsey will cut them however you want; up to 3 gauges, 1 gauge and MBC, 2 gauges and MBC, etc.
Old 12-14-2005, 10:37 AM
VaSteve
Three Wheelin'

Yikes, that's spendy for my low rent track car. I think I will fab something up out of some stuff I have in the garage. I'll take some photos when it's done.
Old 12-14-2005, 10:51 AM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

VaSteve, I just want to send a quick thanks. I am working on a promotion with XM for next year and after seeing the price you paid for your Roady I got them down about 20 bucks a unit. Much appreciated!
Old 12-14-2005, 03:13 PM
PeteL
Got Nothin'
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I just purchased an Xact Sirius receiver. (29.00 Circuit City). It is a horizontal configuration and fit nicely into the cubby under the radio. I hardwired power and antenna input. Works great.
Old 12-14-2005, 03:45 PM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found that if you take the metal box off of the ashtray cover, it can be hidden in there. It's obviously not a good spot when you want to change the station though. I was thinking about making a custom hinged cover that looks like it could be stock, and attaching it to that so it could flip up. The antenna doesn't even have to go outside the car, it can go under the carpet in the back.

I got the roady because I really wanted to get a Nakamichi head unit, but now may get an Alpine CDA-9855 which is ugly and doesn't look anything like stock, but the features and FM reception are so much better that I'm having a hard time deciding. I understand that the Nak reliability and service sucks also. Maybe I'll post a new thread for advice.
Old 01-18-2006, 10:50 PM
VaSteve
Three Wheelin'

Ok, here how it turned out.

I mounted the receiver with the Velcro to the edges of the cubby. I cut each of the Velcro pads in half. I put the prickly side on the cubby and wrapped the extra inside. I put the fuzzy side on the unit itself. Seems to stick fine. What to do about the wiring?

The unit runs on 6V, so so much for hacking the plug in half. I disassembled the cigarette lighter adapter and soldered on a piece of wire where the springed clips would attach to the cig lighter. I left off the case and wrapped the little circuit board in electrical tape. I hardwired that to the connection in the head unit that would send up a power antenna.

The 1/4' adaptor was hooked into the back of the stereo through the AUX inputs. I could also hook up my ipod if I disconnect the XM Roady.

I ran the antenna wire under the carpet and panelling to the back and it's stuck to the inside edge of the cargo area. I will stick it to my roll bar when John fininshes it I left some extra wiring under the panelling.

I drilled a hole in the back of the cubby and ran the wiring through to the unit. The unit blocks 1/2 the cubby and the wiring an addiitional bit, but I could shove it out of the way if I needed to get in there.

Here's a photo.

Quick Reply: XM Roady anyone?