Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rant: Lindsey Racing SS fuel lines

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 01:41 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Rant: Lindsey Racing SS fuel lines

Well, I ordered a set of these way back when and finally was going to install them today. I noted the following (rather annoying) things about them:

(1) The lines are juuuuust long enough to reach about 2/3 of the way down the little "tunnel" between the fenderwell and the plastic fender liner, necessitating the removal of the entire fender liner to splice into the factory lines. Would it REALLY have killed them to add another 4"-6" to each of the lines so that you could make the connection below the fender liner and not have to remove it? Sheesh!

(2) Why in the name of God are the ends where they're supposed to splice into the existing hard lines THREADED?!?! The hard lines can be cut and possibly flared, but there's nothin' threaded about 'em and the SS lines came with no threaded connection to place on the cut hard lines. Okay, so one did, but the other did not. And of course they don't bother telling you this before you buy 'em. Or that you'll need a flaring tool.

So that's my rant. After an hour's worth of getting filthy removing the fender liner and determining that this wasn't going to happen today, I had to put 'em back in the box and wait for another day and a flaring tool (and threaded connection for the supply line) to show up. Guess I'm calling Lindsey tomorrow with a great big "WTF?!?!"

The lines sure do look nice though. Shame they're such a pain in the *** to install and NOT an easy "bolt-up" install. Anyone else have this trouble?
Old 12-12-2005, 02:18 AM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I am alittle confused on what you are talking about any pictures?
Old 12-12-2005, 02:25 AM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

you dont need to flare them.there is supposed to be something you put into the top of the hard line.first you cut the hardline,put the bottom nut,then the compression fitting,then the AN fitting w/the braided line.theres no flaring involved.though i dont have the lindsey unit,i have the pauertunning lines,which are practically the same.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:29 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Well, there's a little end/nipple thing for the return line; that's probably what you're talking about. Maybe there's supposed to be two (one for the supply, one for the return?)

I gotta' call 'em tomorrow and see what's up. Thanks for the info. though.
Old 12-12-2005, 03:06 AM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought they were a bit on the long side really. I wish I could have cut the hard lines at the top, almost in the engine compartment. Mine had the little pieces to thread together to make them bite onto the lines. At first I thought they would never seal, but I'm actually quite impressed. They work very well.
Then again, I had the plain ol' rubber lines, not the SS.
Old 12-12-2005, 10:11 AM
PCinDC
Rennlist Lifetime Member
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the idea there was to keep the connection out of the engine bay and away from your exhaust headers.

There are two parts to the compression nut. Three really, the lower part of the nut (internally threaded) that slides onto the metal fuel line, the compression ferrule that sits on top of this, and then the rest of the AN connection that threads onto the bottom nut, compresses the ferrule as it is threaded and seals the connection. You don't need a flaring tool, but a crows foot wrench will come in very handy.
HTH
Old 12-12-2005, 11:02 AM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

#1 - they are like that on purpose so that the connection is protected by the fender liner

#2 - see all the posts above, they are no flared and dont need to be. Cut one line and they are held together with a compression fitting (and it sounds like you are missing one part).
Old 12-12-2005, 11:31 AM
75ohm
Resistance is Futile
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 131 Likes on 88 Posts

Damn Jeff... I just got done putting in the EXACT same lines from Lindsey. Dave@Lindsey was awesome to work with to answer a few questions for me! Did you get the billet ends with them, I did... and the fire sleeve too!

Probably best to have the compression fitting behind the wheel liner anyway as you aren't going to get the angles lower, nor will you have any room to work there. The nut goes on first, then the ferrell (compression part), then you tighten everything up. Hold stable the top "part" while tightening the nut or you will run into trouble - speaking from experience there as well.

I thought it was a kick *** setup when done, especially with the new holder they provide in their kit.

75ohm.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:35 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

It definitely sounds like I got an incomplete set. All mine came with was the two lines and one compression fitting. No mounting bracket, no nothin'. I'll call them to find out what the deal is.

Not to be an ***, but I fail to see what the benefit of having the connection behind the "tunnel" in the fender liner accomplishes versus having it further down (lower). If it's lower, I'd think it'd be more likely any fuel from a leaking connection would find its way to the ground, which is a helluva lot better than having it run down the line or body to some other location (possibly over a hot exhaust pipe or something).

In any case, the problem can be solved by installing some kind of drip edge close to where the hard line turns horizontal to run towards the rear of the car.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:51 AM
75ohm
Resistance is Futile
Lifetime Rennlist

Fair enough on the location, mostly personal preference I guess! Yeah, sounds like your missing a piece... sorry dood.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:08 PM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

necessitating the removal of the entire fender liner to splice into the factory lines
Remove the front wheel. Unscrew 6 or so screws and out comes the liner. Fairly simple, all of about 5 minutes. If this makes you upset, I would recomend that you never attempt a clutch job.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:07 PM
75ohm
Resistance is Futile
Lifetime Rennlist

ROFLMAO at Bill's comment... yeah bro, the liner is the easy part.

Mine has about 3 screws holding the thing in... haha.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:32 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Yea, it was just a PITA for me - I had the car up on ramps for some other stuff and figured "since I'm doing all this, I might as well try those SS fuel lines that have been sitting around for a while". Since I couldn't get the car off the ramps (original fuel lines disconnected) to start it, it couldn't be jacked up to get the wheel off, so I had to get under there all contortionist style. Not hard, but annoying.

It would have been a heck of a lot easier with the wheel off.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:42 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FWIW, I much prefer the set I got from Pauerman here. I had a Lindsey set and ditched them for it. Another lister did the same to his BRAND NEW Lindsey units after seeing my install.
Old 12-12-2005, 03:06 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 184 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill
... If this makes you upset, I would recomend that you never attempt a clutch job.
Ain't that the truth...they should make every Al Queda detainee do a clutch on an 86 Turbo with a 1-piece X-over pipe...they would confess their sins after the first 12 hours

Quick Reply: Rant: Lindsey Racing SS fuel lines