Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DAMN IT! Repair shop dented my car

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2005, 10:04 PM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DAMN IT! Repair shop dented my car

I just don't have time to work on my car right now and since it was only driven 5000 miles in the last 10 years, it started to leak bad enough to force me to take it in. My biggest fear was that they would scratch the paint or damage the interior. Instead they left something on the engine and shut the hood.
I picked it up on Friday and didn't see the dent (or the car) until tonight.

I would think that every professional mechanic would leave something under a hood and shut it at leat once. Just once though. I think I did that when I was 20, and never again. I didn't expect a Porsche mechanic to do it. Not on my 16 year old car that had absolutely no dents at all. I'm pissed.

The shop is reputable and only works on Porsches. It looks to me like it could be fixed paintless. I'm sure they'll pay for it, I just hope it can be fixed like new.

Just had to share the pain
Old 12-06-2005, 10:22 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My dad did that on his turbo... although it wasn't a tool, it was the fuel pressure gauge he put on the end of the fuel rail... that doesn't work now either...
Old 12-06-2005, 10:55 PM
michaelathome
Race Car

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Damn I hate things like that. I took my GTI in for repairs on the door after the neighbor backed into it. They fixed the dent, painted the door then clipped another car in their parkinglot w/the front bumper. OOhps. Door is fixed, bumper isn't..

Michael
Old 12-06-2005, 11:03 PM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dropped 2 lawn chairs on my hood and right front fender 2 years ago which ended up causing 3 small dents. PDR took them out with no paint damage at all. As long as the paint isn't chip'd or cracked you won't even notice it after they are done!!! They are magicians!!!
Old 12-07-2005, 12:06 AM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Paintless dent should take it right out.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:08 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

A friend of mine had his Evo8 services at the dealer a few months ago, they left a 1/4 inch drive Snap-On ratchet with a 10mm socket under the hood. The mechanic will probably surely miss it.

I had a tendencey to leave some tools behind under the hood also when i first started wrenching on my car. Ive made it a good habit to make sure all of my draws have no empty spaces before starting the car or closing the hood.
Old 12-07-2005, 01:07 AM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the encouraging paintless dent removal comments. A new ratchet would have been nice, maybe I should ask for the tool that did it. I'll bet the mechanic knew he did it too. When I picked it up I looked at the engine, and the first thing I saw was that the distributor cap screws were loose. It was pure luck that I saw it, otherwise it would have fallen off while I was driving. I think that's the last time I'll let anyone work on it.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:47 AM
vette4lyfe
Three Wheelin'

i had taken the power steering gauge off and placed it on the engine upside down on my Lexus.. shut the hood on it and it didnt close.. i opened it and it was stuck on the top... put a nice crack in my hood
Old 12-07-2005, 10:54 AM
Robert D
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ouch. I remember working on a friends 944; replacing the windshield wipers. He opened the hood with one of the wiper arms sticking up and the blade not yet attached. CRACK goes the windshield. All in a days work.
Not tightening the distributor cap down? I'd avoid that shop entirely...I once had a 944 mech forget to tighten down the coolant cap after a t-belt/h20 pump and coolant flush. Nice...
Old 12-07-2005, 02:31 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kevincnc
Thanks for the encouraging paintless dent removal comments. A new ratchet would have been nice, maybe I should ask for the tool that did it. I'll bet the mechanic knew he did it too. When I picked it up I looked at the engine, and the first thing I saw was that the distributor cap screws were loose. It was pure luck that I saw it, otherwise it would have fallen off while I was driving. I think that's the last time I'll let anyone work on it.
Sounds like a useless mechanic.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:39 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

What shop? I have a feeling I won't be surprised.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:53 PM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

Jeremy I sent you a PM.

I brought it to the shop and they called the paintless dent guy to fix it. They seemed a little embarassed. I'll find out this afternoon it it worked.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:15 PM
barelyrunshalfthetime
Rennlist Member

man i hate shops that do these things. my pops fixed up the body and repainted our 83 944. took it to get inspected, failed emissions of course, and what do we notice a couple weeks later? a dent and paint chipped off on the rear right quarter panel. Of course they wouldnt take responsibility for it. then eventually we took it to a mechanic to put in the new cat so we could pass emissions, and it happens again, only this time the genious put the jack in the rong spot and crumpled the rocker and left front fender (just enough so that it was not noticible to us for a couple weeks). what has become of the good and honest mechanic? oh BTW i am new here and this is a tight forum.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:47 AM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

Default It's fixed

Well the paintless dent removal guy must be pretty good, I can't even tell there was a dent. Case closed.

Quick Reply: DAMN IT! Repair shop dented my car