Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I buy this car?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 11:26 PM
sbyrne
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I buy this car?

Greetings, all. I've got the old toy car just about sold, so I've been looking hard at semi-local 944s before heading afield. The most promising so far is an '84 with a legit 39,XXX on the clock. Interior is nearly perfect. Exterior had some light damage (mostly broken glass) from an in-the-garage accident (a pile of stuff fell on it) which is in the final stages of being repaired. Pre-purchase inspection is already lined up, and owner says it's in need of a timing belt. Price is not nailed down yet - waiting on the final body shop bill - but looks to be in the $4000 - 4500 range. Car will be used for sunny days and auto-x. I know that the 85.5 and later cars are more desireable, but this one is in such good shape. Thoughts?
Old 12-02-2005, 11:36 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Check the option code sticker in the rear hatch, might be something with the car that makes it worth a bit more such as upgraded suspension or even the much sought after limited slip. I dont remember the #'s for those options, but im sure someone will chime in with them.

I think its interesting the owner said it needs a timing belt, that leads me to believe he is 'in the know', meaning he probably took care of the car. And also hes atleast an honest guy. Thats all speculation at best however.

$4000-4500 seems about right for a car in that condition i think. A pristine, concourse type car would probably fetch in the area of $6000. Do you plan on doing whatever work this car needs yourself? If not i would tack on about $500-1000 to have the timing belt and whatnot changed if having it done at a shop. Are you going to be footing the bill for the repair work on the body or is the owner doing that?
Old 12-02-2005, 11:49 PM
eohrnberger
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

Sounds about right to me, based on what I've read around these forums. Of course, I'm far from what you'd call an expert.

Somtimes you just have to jump in with both feet and have at it. Hope you enjoy yourself. I know I am.
Old 12-03-2005, 11:47 PM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Definately a deal... depending on the damage.
Old 12-03-2005, 11:56 PM
apierce918
Addic
Rennlist Member

220 is option for lsd (i think.. pretty sure)
Old 12-04-2005, 06:27 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by sbyrne
Greetings, all. I've got the old toy car just about sold, so I've been looking hard at semi-local 944s before heading afield. The most promising so far is an '84 with a legit 39,XXX on the clock. Interior is nearly perfect. Exterior had some light damage (mostly broken glass) from an in-the-garage accident (a pile of stuff fell on it) which is in the final stages of being repaired. Pre-purchase inspection is already lined up, and owner says it's in need of a timing belt. Price is not nailed down yet - waiting on the final body shop bill - but looks to be in the $4000 - 4500 range. Car will be used for sunny days and auto-x. I know that the 85.5 and later cars are more desireable, but this one is in such good shape. Thoughts?
Sounds like a decent price, pending the work to be done and a PPI (pre purchase inspection) by a reputable independant shop or a dealer. I would ask for documentation proving that it is actually 39K and not 139K or even 239K. As you know the early pre-85.5 cars don't have the 100K digit so the odo simply rolls back to zero again at that point. If there is no documentation to back the mileage claim up (like a trail of service documents and maybe a car-fax), take a look at wear items like the clutch pedal rubber cover, steering wheel, and shift ***. On a 39K car, those items should show little to no wear. Wear will be notable on a 139K car (unless they were replaced).

If the car is actually 139K, that is still not necessarily a bad price range, provided that the car is in great shape and there is documentation to show that the original clutch has been replaced.
Old 12-04-2005, 11:21 AM
Mike C.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The clutch is indeed the biggie. If it hasn't been replaced, it won't last much longer (the rubber donut). Expect around $1500 to replace unless you DIY. Ask about the water pump too. If original, you should upgrade this to the new style with the timing belt guard as soon as possible.
Old 12-04-2005, 01:51 PM
SKooT1027
Pro

Sounds like a pretty good deal to me. What part of the country do you live in? It surprisingly affects the cost of the car quite a bit. Up in the Northeast, these cars seem to carry a higher price tag than the rest of the country.. though it might just be because theres less up here to pick from. Either way.. sounds pretty solid pending a good ppi
Old 12-04-2005, 11:47 PM
sbyrne
Racer

Car has only 3 options, according to PCNA - 288 (headlight washers), 409 (leather sport seats), 456 (sport shocks and stabilizers). Wear on steering wheel, seats, shifter consistant with alleged mileage. Didn't think to check the peddle covers - have to check that next trip. Previous owner's brother allegedly ran a Porsche dealership service department at one point in this car's life. Clutch is fine (for now) according to folks I've talked to who have driven the car. Should be ready to roll in the next week or so. We'll see what a drive (and a PPI) reveal.

Quick Reply: Should I buy this car?