Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time to Get 944 running!

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 01:52 AM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lightbulb Time to Get 944 running!

Okay - BIG business convention is out of the way, so now I need to get my 944 up & running again! It was a success, I even got to be on panels with ROWENA, one of my favorite artists of all time, yeah!! And Larry Niven ("Ringworld Engineers"), and a bunch of other famous people. I sure felt loved, heheh. I obtained oil paint list of colors for me, and lots of contacts. Even met friends I haven't seen in ages! Good to be back "home"!Anyway, back to the car.

Good news - not headgasket.

I pulled the spark plugs, and they are BLACK. I showed them to Sean, and we both agree that she has no internal damage, just lots of black.

Ergo, she's running too RICH. Which means in all probability, the Fuel Pressure Regulator, and I should either replace my platinum plugs, or replace them. They are 2 years old.

Now I'd prefer to BORROW someone's fuel pressure regulator, & see if that's all there is. I had replaced it 2 years ago, but with a USED one.

I also need to take the right rear tire off, and plug it (I have the stuff, just can't physicall remove the tire to do it).

So, if someone in the Orange County areay could help me accurately diagnose this problem, I'd appreciate it. My boyfriend is out of the area for work, so I'm really hurting! I need to obtain a job for Xmas season, and this has me now stuck in a bad situation.

I can buy the parts needed, IF I know what they are!! I mean, it could even be the fuel dampener, but those rarely go bad.

I appreciate feedback and help, thanks all!

- Julie
Old 11-29-2005, 05:54 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Bump for Julie. have you tried another AFM to see if the problem goes away?

If the FPR is bad, you would have a hot start issue, IMHO. DONT use plats- stock to coppers-
Old 11-29-2005, 06:54 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would think someone on here has one, especially where you are....

But if not here is one.
http://cgi.ebay.ca/Porsche-944-Fuel-...WDVWQQtcZphoto
Old 11-29-2005, 06:54 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey Babe;

The only way to really be sure is to go through the factory test procedure for the engine control systems. There are many things that can cause a rich cindition. Any competant Bosch guy could do it. Good Luck!
Old 11-29-2005, 08:25 PM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

We are then assuming in error that I have money; I've been unemployed for a year. I'm needing to take even a ****ty part-time job, but I can't without a running car!

So, I'm hoping some of the locals can help me out here; know it's not the DME, or stuff like that. The Fuel Pressure Regulator IS the most likely weak link.

- Julie
Old 11-29-2005, 09:27 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Julie, you know what we lister's tell those who can't afford their car's...

In all reality..
Old 11-29-2005, 11:11 PM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Julie, I wish ya lotsa luck with your car! I wish I could be of some help. I wish I were closer.

I agree with John however. Try to test the engine, using the many sources of diaganostic procedures available IF you can, and hopefully, avoid spending and or swapping out parts for not.

Someone can HOPEFULLY, help you out with the diagnostic checks, and associated tools/equiptment.

Easy now.......I don't think anyone is assuming anything.

And NO......I wouldn't say, "The Fuel Pressure Regulator IS the most likely weak link." Not always, anyway.

Assume nothing, then diagnose from the beggining.

Better days are coming! Believe it!

Good luck!

Trending Topics

Old 11-30-2005, 01:32 AM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

It could be anything. I would look for vacuum leaks, hoses falling off etc..
Old 11-30-2005, 05:13 AM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

Arrow NEVER IMPLY I DON'T DESERVE MY PORSCHE!!

Hm, I'll check for hoses falling off...

And for THOSE picking on me for being broke:

I'm one of the bloody Sponsors on HERE! BUY SOME ARTWORK rather than just freeloading!

If you don't understand WHY I'm in the situation where I'm at - button it; to remind people, I had a serious brain & spinal injury, and **** happened. I'm really PISSED off, because I have really helped others WITH their cars over the last 2 years, including HEADGASKETS, throwing Wrenching parties to help OTHERS.

I even gave a WORKING waterpump to one of the fellow Rennlisters here LAST WEEK - should I have NOT done that!? Forced him to pay for the rebuilt one instead!? He's broke too - so I share what little I have - any local knows I DO THAT.

It is time to help ME, ergo I call upon the West Coast Wrenchers for HELP. I even acquired a flat tire, because of a nail, at one of the meetings over at Frank's; THAT is not my fault.

Now what I could do: stop HELPING OTHERS; but I'm not a friggin' a$$hole.

I'm very sick and tired of people picking on me, and not understanding the exact situation. If you ever wind up with Fibromyalgia, lost 1/2 your physical strength, it feels like a giant potato peeler was ripped up your back every night, and you are forced to take anti-seizure drugs and painkillers for the rest of your life, and find out that every month fellow Fibromyalgics COMMIT SUICIDE because they just couldn't take the PAIN (#1 cause of death of my condition, LOOK IT UP) - then you will finally KNOW what it's like to be in my shoes for the last 2 years.

And even then, I helped others. DON'T YOU EVER DARE IMPLY THAT I DO NOT DESERVE MY PORSCHE!!!

- Julie
Old 11-30-2005, 05:55 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I think Kevin was saying that if you are hard up for money, a 20-something year-old Porsche is not the best car to own. That's all. It's not a matter of "deserving". People can rationalize it anyway they want, but you and most others here know that the parts and labor cost more on these cars than some other sort of cheap domestic beater. And if you are not well enough off to do your own work, then it compounds that issue because you are dependant upon others. I can't see how any harm was meant by his comment. I doubt ANYONE here doesn't know the troubles you have been thru, Devia. Best of luck to you.

I'm one of the bloody Sponsors on HERE! BUY SOME ARTWORK rather than just freeloading!
Ouch. Freeloading? How are people that are paying members here "freeloading" because they haven't purchased your work?

Last edited by tifosiman; 11-30-2005 at 06:24 AM.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:11 AM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

Arrow Apology

I apologize for calling people Freeloaders - I see that everyone is a paying member (or close enough). Imagine pain levels hitting 10/10 nearly constantly for days, and I'm lucky if I can lower it to a 7/10~!

I would prefer some HELP rather than scoldings. I've been fighting serious Migraines off & on since Friday - and I need to go back to the doctor and be treated, more money that needs to be spent on other things, like CARS.

My boyfriend's car is DYING on the freeway TONIGHT, and I MUST bring Kijo back online, TOMORROW, even if I have to go to Porsche and by the damn Fuel Pressure Regulator - I'm sure that's what the problem IS, and I'll clean these spark plugs up, or just buy new ones then; I'm just guessing, don't know what else to do, but I don't have any strength in my upper body! THAT is what is killing me.

I am out of time, and he needs a CAR.

I'm afraid I have to trash his car, and it sickens me.

- Julie
Old 12-01-2005, 10:19 PM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

Lightbulb Evil 944 t WINS!

So, I was able to get over to my car late last night, after limping my boyfriend's car to my friend's house...while I was tapping and tugging - lo and behold, the "Y' connector from BOTH the Fuel Pressure Regulator AND the Fuel Dampener had let go of the hose to the Throttle Cam! It just won't seal up and hold, so I have to repace it. The rest of the rubber connectors seem to be fine and holding firm.

So, Evil 944 t WINS, with his diagnosis suggestions! Just hope that's it, other than the nail in the tire. I've pulled the plugs and ran them through an ultrasonic, so she would start again. Car doesn't like it when there's no contact, hah!

- Julie
Old 12-01-2005, 11:23 PM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Devia
So, Evil 944 t WINS, with his diagnosis suggestions! Just hope that's it, other than the nail in the tire. - Julie
Even a blind squarrel can find a nut, once and a while.. If your hoses were off than that had to be it. You can cinch the ends with small zip ties too.
Old 12-02-2005, 04:20 AM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

Hm, didn't think of that; small zip ties! Got 'em. I'm thinking of just replacing the connector, since it's so worn out, and so maybe the rest of them are too. May even be the originals, lol.

What's torquing me now, is that I can't find the correct word for, "vacuum hose 'Y' connector" making it a nightmare to find pricing on, argh! Found hoses, but NOT the connectors.

Guess that's a few phone calls tomorrow.

- Julie
Old 12-02-2005, 05:07 AM
BruceWard
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can buy vacuum hose Ys and connectors at normal auto parts stores. I have never tried to swap one into a Porsche but I bet they would work.

Quick Reply: Time to Get 944 running!