Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

An unfortunate turn of events. Need some parts...

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2005, 01:11 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default An unfortunate turn of events. Need some parts...

Rear ended someone earlier this morning. My 924 vented nose panel is destroyed. The new hood crest is amazingly untouched though. I defenetley need a new headlight linkage. the drivers side is bent pretty badly, though passenger side is untouched. Need a new headlight cover. Not sure what else.

Pictures of the carnage will come soon.
Old 11-25-2005, 01:15 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's terrible. Best of luck in the repairs and (if applicable) recovery.
Can't really help you for parts though, sorry.
Old 11-25-2005, 01:25 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

good luck buddy...
Old 11-25-2005, 01:47 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Yea, this sucks. Im pretty pissed but i guess im taking it well considering this is my pride and joy. Anyway what happened was i went out to the bank and to buy brake cleaner at the local autoplace. On the way back i was in the left lane, white pickup ahead of me. We were all going about 60mph (speed limit on road is 50). Next thing i know white pickup hits brakes hard due to the car infront of her making a left at the last possible second. The only reason the white pickup didnt hit the car is because the guy infront of her turned just as she passed his bumper line.

I however didnt have the luxury of that, hit the brakes hard and the tires locked. A newbie mistake. Slid right into her at about 25-30mph i figure. Lucky she had one of those tow hook things with the German Iron Cross on the back, that saved her truck and my insurance from ALOT of money. no damage at all to hers, not even red paint! I take full responsability for this, i shouldnt have been going so fast in the first place.

My car was whacked pretty bad however. Both of us unhurt which is the most important. With the exception of a very bruised ego. We decided to not bother with insurance, she didnt seem like she had any interest in doing so. Neither did I! I guess this was bound to happen eventually, 20 year old kid with a sports car, i went accident and ticket free for the last 3.5 years.

I would appreciate it if you guys can give me advice on what i need to replace. I have the old header panel on my car, so no need for one of those. So far this is what i think / know i need.

-driver headlight cover
-driver side headlight linkage (maybe the entire headlight bucket?)
-Clibe E-Code lense. Dosent need to be replaced imediatley, though has a crack running across it.
-924 Vented nose panel ... i like the look of this thing to much to let it go!

The car is still drivable, however the hood dosent close due to the locking part being pushed back. I have two options for the body work, either take it to my friends body shop which is very expensive, or have my fathers wrench (who is pretty good with bodywork) due it in his off time at the shop for just cost of parts. My main concerns are the mangled headlight bucket. Not the plastic pieces, but the entire metal surround portion the headlight sits in.

It sucks, i had this car almost completley sorted, exactly the way i wanted it. All i needed to do was change the freaken brake pads and it was set!

On the bright side, i can finally get the front end of the car repainted . Ah well, i figure in a few weeks everything will be back to normal.

One thing that really pisses me off, I JUST put on that 924 Turbo nose panel! Literally two weeks ago! This picture below is EASILY the most depressing thing i have seen.

We have the technology, we can rebuild her!

Last edited by Techno Duck; 11-25-2005 at 02:02 PM.
Old 11-25-2005, 02:05 PM
david fracolli
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an entire headlight linkage if you need one. Sorry to hear about the accident.
Old 11-25-2005, 02:10 PM
Scootin159
Drifting

Can't help you with the body parts, but if you find a source for the Cibie E-Code lens, let me know. I'm in need of one as well (pass. side, although they're the same) after mine got cracked by a rock. I've got a sealed H4 in there for now, but would really like to go back to the Cibie lens.

BTW, once the lens is cracked (and mositure enters), bulbs will start to blow rather quickly on you. I had my first bulb go 3 months after the lens cracked (small crack), but then the 2nd bulb blew the first day it rained after that.
Old 11-25-2005, 02:29 PM
mroberts
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess this was bound to happen eventually, 20 year old kid with a sports car
Don't be so hard on yourself, you weren't beeing an a$$clown, you just got screwed.
Old 11-25-2005, 03:38 PM
L8 APEKS
Three Wheelin'

Sucks about the nose panel...but hey, look at the bright side...you still have a 944 to put one on! Best of luck getting her back into shape, she's very clean!
Old 11-25-2005, 05:07 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think I have all of those parts as well but they are from a 951 and they are white.
Old 11-25-2005, 08:50 PM
AznDrgn
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

951 parts won't work, they either have to come from an NA, 924S, or 924. The front end contour on the 951 is just slightly different than the rest of the cars.
Old 11-25-2005, 09:09 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's what I thought
Old 11-25-2005, 09:54 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Scootin159
Can't help you with the body parts, but if you find a source for the Cibie E-Code lens, let me know. I'm in need of one as well (pass. side, although they're the same) after mine got cracked by a rock. I've got a sealed H4 in there for now, but would really like to go back to the Cibie lens.

BTW, once the lens is cracked (and mositure enters), bulbs will start to blow rather quickly on you. I had my first bulb go 3 months after the lens cracked (small crack), but then the 2nd bulb blew the first day it rained after that.
Hey Scott, i searched around and found two places that sell the lights that Dan Wray used.

http://www.talbotco.com/cibie_main_frameset.htm

and

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/

I shot an email to the first link and probably will to the second for good measure. These are the only two places that i can find that sell them.

And David, you have a PM.

Im in much better spirits right now, my ex-called me up after she read my away message and the first thing she said was "Its all in the reflexes baby". I always used to say that after the two or three close calls ive had with her in the car. That made me burst out laughing and i feel much better about this whole mess now. Yea it sucks, but its just a car. Im just happy i didnt get screwed with the insurance. I think im more pissed off about the issues im having getting my damn brake pads in!

And i must say, i was evaluating the damage a 2nd time earlier and im amazed that the hood, bumper and fenders were untouched! The only real damage is to the drivers side fender, which was pulled inwards very slightly from the header panel getting smashed inwards. Other than that, i guess it coudl have been alot worse than i expected. Im just wondering how the body shop will fare trying to straighten out the portion behind the header panel.

BTW, if anyone has a lead on a 924 Vented nose panel, please let me know. I promise this one wont end up like the one above!

Old 11-25-2005, 10:07 PM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Matt H
That's what I thought
Yo! You coming up this weekend?
Old 11-25-2005, 10:14 PM
tod84944
Drifting

If David doesn't have everything you need, I can probley help with the rest.
Just drop me a line and let me know what you need.
Old 11-25-2005, 10:52 PM
Scootin159
Drifting

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
Hey Scott, i searched around and found two places that sell the lights that Dan Wray used.

http://www.talbotco.com/cibie_main_frameset.htm

and

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/

I shot an email to the first link and probably will to the second for good measure. These are the only two places that i can find that sell them.
Those are the exact two contacts I came up with as well. I've heard that both of them don't like email (ironic for an online store), but respond very well via phone. Just a tip for if your email goes unanswered.

Quick Reply: An unfortunate turn of events. Need some parts...