Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drove my frist NA today!

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2005, 05:08 PM
austin944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

The NA doesn't have a lot of power, but sometimes that makes it more exciting to drive in heavy traffic. You have to anticipate and plan ahead to avoid becoming road-kill.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:15 PM
Mike1982
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have driven a '85.5 (late model for those you don't know), '87 or '88 924S and mine '86 951 (quite a bit of upgrades) and I will say that without the turbo you do get instant power which is nice plus feels more like a go-kart in the corners but step into my '951 and you want to go to the track and pull some turns faster, the roads don't do the car justice for power or performance overall.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:16 PM
SchnellerUmsetzer
Drifting

Take to to the Highway and drive the hell out of it

Bring it back and tell him you need to talk to your wife prior to purchase

The next day back it up and see all the fresh new oil spots on the ground.

Then talk about how much you will pay for it!
Old 11-22-2005, 05:25 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 339 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by SchnellerUmsetzer
Take to to the Highway and drive the hell out of it

Bring it back and tell him you need to talk to your wife prior to purchase

The next day back it up and see all the fresh new oil spots on the ground.

Then talk about how much you will pay for it!

Do you really get enjoyment out of damaging other people’s property?
Old 11-22-2005, 05:48 PM
SchnellerUmsetzer
Drifting

No,
In fact, I have pissed away more money taking care of my car correctly than any used car lot dealer would ever consider.
However, I have met quite a few con artist and shysters that claim to be Porsche guys that in fact are in it to just make a $$$$$!
It is real easy to take a bottle of "Seal Swell" or any other crap and mask expensive repairs on cars. Then when the deal is done would not even budge to give you a reach around.
Does he have repair records?
Did the dealer do a PCNA pull on the car and describe options?
Did the Dealer offer anything other what seems to be a "Good Detail Job and cool wheels"?
Did the dealer offer a car fax?

I guess that I have a bit leery about these cars that I love so much. I have very little appreciation for those seek make a persons first Porsche a horrible experience!

I have have a 1983 NA, and 1 1987 951's! I lost one 1987 951(RIP)
Old 11-22-2005, 06:03 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by austin944
The NA doesn't have a lot of power, but sometimes that makes it more exciting to drive in heavy traffic. You have to anticipate and plan ahead to avoid becoming road-kill.
umm.. They really aren't that underpowered. Underpowered for a sports car.. but not for a car. I hate to tell you, 0-60 in 7.5-8 seconds is still rather quick for an everyday , cheaper car. Most of the civics and such are slower than that stock. just about all SUV's get beat by that as well. I don't think the power issue is as big a deal as people make it outto be.. It is just underpowered for a sports car. You can't even say it's underpowered for a porsche, look at 912, 914, 2.0 924, etc? I find it gets up and goes when you need it more than well enough to handle traffic situations...

it's more of a comparative slow (to 951, S and S2) rather than actually slow.
Old 11-22-2005, 06:39 PM
SD Porsche Fan
Cast Iron Man
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Porsche-O-Phile
Looks reasonably nice but $6,900 is absurd.
Totally agree. I told the sales manager that if he gets someone truely knowledgable about 944s and he can't produce any maintaince records that they will either ask for a deep discount or walk off the lot. He then asked me if I would be interested. I think I scared him enough that he doesn't want to deal with it (he told me several times that $6900 was just the 'asking price').

The thing about this car is that it drove extremely well and looks reasonably well kept for it's age and the fact that it was probably a daily driver. I think it would be a nice car for someone who wants a nice straight example of how well these cars hold up over 20 years of daily use.

If anyone wants a PPI done or some up close hi-res pictures let me know and I can arrange it. I also think I'd be able to get a pretty good price after my conversation with the manager. It would be great if we could give this car a proper home.
Old 11-22-2005, 06:57 PM
SchnellerUmsetzer
Drifting

KBB Value( www.KBB.com)
1985 105,000 with FAUCH's
$3,865.00

NADA ( www.NADA.com)
(1986 is as far back as it goes)
1986 105,000
Low Retail
$3,150.00
Average Retail
$4,300.00
High Retail
$5,225.00

Mr. Bonehead used car dealer
$6,900.00
***Has has no records and gives not one care about about issues it might have otherwise he would take it to a Porsche Mech and have an inspect done. Then and only then decide what it is worth!

Last edited by SchnellerUmsetzer; 11-22-2005 at 07:03 PM. Reason: I forgot to include my source web site
Old 11-22-2005, 10:32 PM
CT944
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 110 Posts

$3500 max..especially for no history
Old 11-23-2005, 06:25 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by yieldsign2
umm.. They really aren't that underpowered. Underpowered for a sports car.. but not for a car. I hate to tell you, 0-60 in 7.5-8 seconds is still rather quick for an everyday , cheaper car. Most of the civics and such are slower than that stock. just about all SUV's get beat by that as well. I don't think the power issue is as big a deal as people make it outto be.. It is just underpowered for a sports car. You can't even say it's underpowered for a porsche, look at 912, 914, 2.0 924, etc? I find it gets up and goes when you need it more than well enough to handle traffic situations...

Amen.

I've never had to worry about being "roadkill" in my car. That's just silly. (obligatory smiley)
Old 11-23-2005, 08:56 AM
TheRealLefty
Burning Brakes

Agreed on the difference in feel and I do attribute much of the "tossability" of pre '87 cars to the early offsets. My 85.5 NA autocross car with 15x8 Fuchs on all four corners turns in like demon compared to my 968 M030 upgraded 951S. The NA has 200# Weltmeisters in the front, a KLA strut brace , 26.8mm/19mm factory bar upgrade and fresh yellow Koni's and has a supple grip in transition that the 951S is simply too stiff to match.
Old 11-23-2005, 11:11 AM
austin944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by yieldsign2

I didn't say the NA was "underpowered", I said "not a lot of power". As proof, look at the number of people on the boards asking about forced induction for the NA. Perhaps I exaggered with the "road-kill" comment however I would love to have more power.

The 0-60 and 1/4 mile times you see in magazines are generally obtained by dropping the clutch. Not something that everyone wants to do to. Most civics, SUVs, etc. have automatics so the driver can just mash the gas pedal at a stop light.

Not sure where you drive, but in Austin a lot of people have a lead foot and you have to plan/anticipate if you want to squeeze into a spot ahead of someone. In some cases it's not enough that your car is "as fast" as another car, it has to be faster. With a Turbo, you can just mash the go pedal and you're there.
Old 11-25-2005, 08:38 PM
Swagger93
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Magazines test manual cars whenever they are available, so if a car is available in a manual those typically will be the statistics posted.

Plenty of autobox SUV's could lay waste to n/a 944's, they just arn't that quick. Miata's arn't quick either, in fact. I don't recall large amounts of power being a prerequisite for "sports car" (some MG's, lotuses, and Triumphs come t mind as well). I'm a hard core power guy, but I don't think the power deficit in the 944 is an issue unless you make it one. People usually want power for two reasons: to feel the rush (testosterone) and because of their ego (testosterone). I fall into both of those categories. If I'm driving a slower car, I'm always miffed at stoplights where a lane ends and when I know that ignorant ******* next to me can win in his S-10 Extreme. Do I need to beat him? Yes, for my satisfaction.

If I'm on a track I could care less whether my car is Turbo or N/A, because I'm just out having a good time competing against people who are in equivalent cars. Well, maybe in the straights I'd like some more power...and the corners...oh...

Having a turbo car in traffic is almost as interesting as an N/A, because you generally have to factor the lag in power in when making a close judgement.

Quick Reply: Drove my frist NA today!