Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Would you be for or against a public smoking ban(details in post)
Support smoking ban
71.93%
Oppose smoking ban
28.07%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

OT- Can you guys/gals please answer my quick survey/public opinion poll

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2005 | 04:42 PM
SchnellerUmsetzer
Drifting

I am from the Mid West. I don't smoke. However, I think the "Hype" about second hand smoke is that.
**** and promiscuous sex can lead to AIDS. So I guess we regulate that. No, instead School Nurses and Planned parent hood give teenagers condoms and the push now is to legalize gay marriage.
“Ma Hung” causes heart attacks. No, Pharmaceutical companies aren’t making enough money at the weight loss Biz and the Ma Hung crap works and it is cheap.
A kid snivels so they hook up on 4 kinds of anti-depressants. When in reality emotions are important to maturity. However, developing healthy “Coping Mechanism” is critical at a young age. Anti-depressants I guess could fill the void of sound advice and “Healthy Coping Mechanisms”.

The kid is hyper so they fill’em full of rennlin. When in reality if you went home with the kid you would see that the kid lives on Soda/junk food, is glued to the X-Box, and claims exercise is walking to the refrigerator. There by the kid has a good reason to be hyper.

People seem to be all about regulating others through “Representative” Democracy”. Rather than just having the courage to ask others to not do something around them or for that matter go else where there by not being part of the problem.

The "Sin Tax" on smoking is outrageous.
Old 11-22-2005 | 06:50 PM
dean944
Racer

Wolfe, In your home? That's overboard there unless you have children, pets, spotted Owls, red cockaded wood peckers, hawaiian hoarya bat, hump backed chub, etc.

BTW:
Your signiture brings me unhappiness... A hell, I need a drink!
Old 11-22-2005 | 07:07 PM
WolfeMacleod
Drifting

Originally Posted by dean944
Wolfe, In your home? That's overboard there unless you have children, pets, spotted Owls, red cockaded wood peckers, hawaiian hoarya bat, hump backed chub, etc.
Yep, in my own home. I have a business I run from here. I'm the only employee. Cannot smoke in any place of business.
So legally, I can't smoke in my home...
Old 11-22-2005 | 07:49 PM
fastman
Advanced

This has been most amusing. Glad I stopped by. In the state of Washington we voted for a total smoking ban last month. Goes into effect early December. I am so glad. Just to go to a pub and hear live music and not be smoked out. Ahh, life is good, and I can breathe.
Old 11-22-2005 | 08:34 PM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Huber
This has been most amusing. Glad I stopped by. In the state of Washington we voted for a total smoking ban last month. Goes into effect early December. I am so glad. Just to go to a pub and hear live music and not be smoked out. Ahh, life is good, and I can breathe.

I always get a BIG charge out of some of my non smoking co-workers who say "breathing your smoke is shortening my life expectancy".

I work at Boeing. When you walk in there, your breathing more chemical vapors, dust from metals and composite materials that WILL kill ya quicker than you could EVER POSSIBLY get........by walking by me, or other smokers that brief period, OUTSIDE the building. GET REAL! Or at least a better comment than that.

I STILL understand the other reasonings and comments also. I can agree, somewhat, as I believe there should be a place for "most people's rights". There are "jerks" everywhere, smokers and non. I guess we smokers are just getting outnumbered, anymore. Thats ok. Plenty of non smokers die of lung cancer too, and SURELY......not to my "second hand smoke".

Nothing worse than a recovering alchololic.........or.......is it a never been smoker? GOLLY.....don't put the two together! LOOK OUT!

Its the jeans (genes) ya know.
Old 11-23-2005 | 01:56 AM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Smoking is bad for your health.
Old 11-23-2005 | 05:09 PM
jonnybgood
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SchnellerUmsetzer
Rather than just having the courage to ask others to not do something around them or for that matter go else where there by not being part of the problem.
I think this could be more hazardous to your health. Some of the 250lb guys who smoke in public would probably put out their cigarette in your eye!

For the ban, pregnant poodles and big stuffed animals.
Old 11-23-2005 | 06:36 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

I'm not going to waste my time looking it up. You are honestly going to sit there and write that "second hand smoke" is not bad for you?
Old 11-23-2005 | 06:40 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by The DareDevil
Smoking is bad for your health.
As is sitting on your *** all day watching the tv, which COUNTLESS americans do.

I'll bless this country the day I see mandatory exercise.

What about the whole oil industry? That causes more pollution than smoking ever will. I'm not for smoking and I don't smoke, but there is a lot of bullsh*t in this country.
Old 11-23-2005 | 07:21 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Civil rights baby- regardless of your opinion WE have a right to smoke.
Old 11-24-2005 | 05:20 PM
flosho
Pro

**** sex that leads to aids, doesn't affect an entire restaurant full of people, unless the act is being performed in the restaurant, in which case it is illegal.
Old 11-24-2005 | 11:46 PM
BigNNasty
Racer

Seeing as I'm not old enough to go to a Bar, it doesn't concern me...

My 16 year old friends smoke, big deal. It's your preference. I don't mind it.

I fart in front of them, and it's not healthy for them.

My mom smoked for 12 years of my life, and I finally bitched at her enough, that she quit cold turkey. I told her how I hated being around her when she smoked. It must of really hit her hard when I told her that. She's been smoke free for 3 years now, and I'm much happier.

I can't really comment on a non-smoking ban because I don't go to bars like mentioned, and If I go out to eat, my parents always pick non-smoking as it is.

I can, however, comment on the age limit. Why 18? It's dumb. Smoking is your decision. True, some little 6 and 7 year olds don't need to be running around smoking, but a 14-16 year age limit would be better suited I think. True, it's not good for kids in anyway, but why should we care, it's not our body. I can see if the kid is your own, and smoking, but if the kid is not yours, you should have no say so. All of my friends smoke, and it's a preference. I don't smoke as I think it's downright nasty and a big turn off to chicks. Tobacco companies and others don't really know just how many teens smoke. Every friday and saturday, my friends and I are bound and determined to be found trying to find a source for cigs. I think smoking is bad though, due to second hand. I would ban smoking in public, and making smoking only allowable in designated smoking areas, your car, and your home.

Chewing is a whole nother thread.

Smoking has gotten so bad, that every single car, no matter the price, comes with a god blessid cigarette lighter. Whats next? A beer cooler in every car?, Beer Opener?, Condom Dispenser?

Then again, this is america, and you should be allowed to do what you please...
Old 11-25-2005 | 01:00 AM
nine-44
Addict
Rennlist Member

One of my first longer term relationships stemmed from smoking. I was sitting on a bench at the mall(back when you could still smoke at the mall) and she came up to bum a smoke from me. We later broke up as a result of an argument. The argument was that I wouldn't give one of my beers to her preagnant friend. They both told me I have no right to tell her how to live her life or raise her kid. WOW!

Just tonight there were 5 wrecks on the news, most of them alcohol related, 2 or 3 resulted in fatality, one of them the guy launched an SUV 6 foot airborn and through the side of a house and into the bedroom where the owner was sleeping. Yeah, smoking is definately a bigger problem.

So, when smoking is banned all together, where will they lay the blame for cancer and other health problems?

Waitresses and bar/resturaunt owners all know about smoke and health issues as much as a coal miner knows the health risks and breathing all that crap in a mine,and they still go for the job? They can quit playing that pitty your waitress commercial about anytime now.

You know, I wish they'd just ban it all together so I can hurry up and quit, no brainwashing, no instilling fear, no petty BS, if you want it gone, do it! I'm sick of the stupid commercials.

Maybe then they could concentrate on the less important things like...

-drunk drivers killing people and running over people while they sleep in their own beds
-out of control fuel prices(home heating and gas)because the president won't do **** cuz his buddies are getting fat off of it
-america becoming more and more obese as the minuite goes by, feeding off of preservatives that cause cancer and other health risks and fat foods that are OK by the gov't
-eh, ****it, I think the whole country has it's priorities ****ed up, that's just me tho

Also, hate to tell you this, cancer, pretty much everyone has or will have it, it may never become a problem tho. Cancer becomes a problem due to declined immune system. smoking, poor diet, pollution, chemical additives to food and water all play into this. Your body has the natural ability to fight cancer, if you take care of yourself and have a proper diet.
Nothing actually causes cancer, it's a matter of if your immune system is too busy fighting toxins that are introduced to your system to fight it off. OR, if you are geneticly predisposed to it(most likely meaning a weak immune system)

If it weren't for money, life would be quite easy. Where there is money to be made, you'll find treatments, not cures. You'll find misedjucation decieving and blinding of the general public, not edjucation for a better society.

I guess I'm an extremist?

Btw, they say smoking is therapudic.
Old 11-25-2005 | 01:03 AM
flosho
Pro

Originally Posted by Chris_924s
Civil rights baby- regardless of your opinion WE have a right to smoke.

True, however.. It isn't your right to infrindge upon the rights of others, which smoking and polluting with your second hand smoke AND cigarette butts..
Old 11-25-2005 | 01:07 AM
flosho
Pro

Originally Posted by nine-44
Nothing actually causes cancer, it's a matter of if your immune system is too busy fighting toxins that are introduced to your system to fight it off. OR, if you are geneticly predisposed to it(most likely meaning a weak immune system)

If it weren't for money, life would be quite easy. Where there is money to be made, you'll find treatments, not cures. You'll find misedjucation decieving and blinding of the general public, not edjucation for a better society.

Btw, they say smoking is therapudic.
Just gonna touch on this part of your post... You claim nothing causes cancer yet you say its due to the toxins that are introduced into the body. When you smoke cigarettes, you are introducing a lot of toxins into your body, thus causing the break down in your immune system. Essentially, smoking causes cancer.

Therapudic.. by constricting blood vessles and raising blood pressure?

Quick Reply: OT- Can you guys/gals please answer my quick survey/public opinion poll