Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

i think im picking up another 944.. im doing what?!

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2005, 07:43 PM
apierce918
Addic
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i think im picking up another 944.. im doing what?!

its a little run down, i have seen it sitting next to this guys garage for about a year, and i figured what the hell, if its a timing belt failure, i can pick it up for cheap. (plan the whole time was to have it as a parts car)

its a late model 944 NA btw.

so i stop by on my lunch break and ask him about it. well, it was for sale, he just didnt have it advertsied at all. he said it does run, but hasnt had it started in awhile, new condenser he was trying to boast up which i shrugged off, but the body was pretty strait, paint is faded, windshield cracked interior was a little rough, black leather, seats seemed to be fair condition, not sure about electrical stuff since i didnt havea lot of time, and bees have taken over the passenger sied fender. it needs new rubber all around but he says he can get it running. we'll see about that...

so i asked him what he wanted for it, and he said the wife was asking for 1800$ (pfft, yea right) and i said, well im not looking to spend that much, i was hoping it was dead so i could sneak by with a couple hundred bucks. then he said if it wasnt runnin, he would have given it to me. well, it must not mean THAT much to them...

so i explain how i already have one, and wanted a second to either learn, turn to a track car, or tear down etc. etc. and he said ya know, i would let it go for probably 1000$ but ill even take offers. GREAT thats what i wanted to hear.

so this is my thinking, im gonna milk that it needs new tires, $400, windshield with antenna $400, no history of timing, waterpump, balance belt (im assuming) $500, and anything else a sitting car may need 1 year later. im gonna tell him if he can get it moving under its own power, for me to drive it home (5 miles) ill give him $800 cash. if he cant get it running, price drops to $500

so my question is this, think that is a good price to try to snag it? car has about 130k miles he said so it might need a clutch soon. AND since i have space, and time, about how much can you get parting out a vehicle. all i need to do is re-coop the initial cost, anything after that is a bonus. since i want it for fun anyways
Old 11-20-2005, 08:26 PM
aeronautica86
Three Wheelin'

if you part is out, the body panels and tranny will bring more than the few hundred you'll spend to get it, if the timing belt was not snapped, then you can get even more for the engine...or strip it down, rebuild the engine and have a track car
Old 11-20-2005, 10:06 PM
apierce918
Addic
Rennlist Member

im sure i will part it, and the belt is still in tact, he said it runs, he just hasnt started it in awhile, but assured me he could get it going. track car would be fun, but that will end up costing a lot of money too. ill probably sell the engine in pieces because i want to take junk apart so when it happens to my DD im more familiar with what the germans had planned
Old 11-20-2005, 10:54 PM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts

it's amazing how low the values on these cars have dropped. you should be able to recoup the value in parts if you part it out.
Old 11-20-2005, 11:20 PM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wizkid918
its a little run down, i have seen it sitting next to this guys garage for about a year, and i figured what the hell, if its a timing belt failure, i can pick it up for cheap. (plan the whole time was to have it as a parts car)

its a late model 944 NA btw.

so i stop by on my lunch break and ask him about it. well, it was for sale, he just didnt have it advertsied at all. he said it does run, but hasnt had it started in awhile, new condenser he was trying to boast up which i shrugged off, but the body was pretty strait, paint is faded, windshield cracked interior was a little rough, black leather, seats seemed to be fair condition, not sure about electrical stuff since i didnt havea lot of time, and bees have taken over the passenger sied fender. it needs new rubber all around but he says he can get it running. we'll see about that...

so i asked him what he wanted for it, and he said the wife was asking for 1800$ (pfft, yea right) and i said, well im not looking to spend that much, i was hoping it was dead so i could sneak by with a couple hundred bucks. then he said if it wasnt runnin, he would have given it to me. well, it must not mean THAT much to them...

so i explain how i already have one, and wanted a second to either learn, turn to a track car, or tear down etc. etc. and he said ya know, i would let it go for probably 1000$ but ill even take offers. GREAT thats what i wanted to hear.

so this is my thinking, im gonna milk that it needs new tires, $400, windshield with antenna $400, no history of timing, waterpump, balance belt (im assuming) $500, and anything else a sitting car may need 1 year later. im gonna tell him if he can get it moving under its own power, for me to drive it home (5 miles) ill give him $800 cash. if he cant get it running, price drops to $500

so my question is this, think that is a good price to try to snag it? car has about 130k miles he said so it might need a clutch soon. AND since i have space, and time, about how much can you get parting out a vehicle. all i need to do is re-coop the initial cost, anything after that is a bonus. since i want it for fun anyways
HEHE! BTDT!.........Ya should've offered $400.00- 500.00 CASH on the spot! and then gone and got it. The more work your asking him to do, the more the price WILL be.

Ya can't "think about" a good deal....ya gotta act, and make a cash offer on the spot. $1800.00, definately outta line! Not running.......not worth much........no proven work history.......worth less.........are ya ready for the game? Not if ya gotta ask us.

"late model"? How late?, might I ask? Did ya look inside the camgear hole to see if belt was even there? No matter.......if ya can get it for $500.00 or less, you REALLY can't go wrong......providing......the body is not "hammered", and, your READY to part it out ,and realize what ALL THAT entails.

"condenser"........hmmmm........whats THAT, all about? THATS a selling point?

Good luck! Lots of fun ahead!
Old 11-20-2005, 11:26 PM
apierce918
Addic
Rennlist Member

i said late model to you guys from what i saw, i didnt ask what year, i didnt have time to haggle, and i didnt have cash on me. when i go back, i will. and i will slam him with questions that drop my offer with every answer
Old 11-20-2005, 11:32 PM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bingo!
Old 11-21-2005, 12:21 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Never mention you will probably just track it.....then you have no tools to negotiate with!
Who cares if it has this that and the other wrong with it.....if you are going to track it none of those things can be used now because you don't care anyway
Old 11-21-2005, 01:13 PM
apierce918
Addic
Rennlist Member

i dont know if i verbally said that to him or if it was just running through my head, lol. i know he wants it gone though, and i want it

Quick Reply: i think im picking up another 944.. im doing what?!