Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone leave car outside in winter?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2005 | 04:48 AM
StyleLab
Burning Brakes

Default anyone leave car outside in winter?

Hi,

I have a little problem, no garage space for my S2 this winter until about mid march. I live in Montreal Quebec where the weather will regularly hit below 20 F in January and February. I was wondering if the snow/ice and cold temp will hurt it and if there are any special precautions I should take. I was told not to try starting it at all until the day I'm ready to roll with it, to fill the tank with gas as well as wipe off the snow and ice every now and then and remove the battery. The car will be sitting on a paved lot so I doubt I should have any corrosion issues. I won't be covering it either. Also is there any preperation I should do before I start the car back up again in march after sitting for 4 months? Thanks for your time.
Old 11-18-2005 | 09:04 AM
Stephenwz968
Three Wheelin'

I would put some stabil in the tank, and fill the tires to max before letting it sit. Good luck,

Steve
Old 11-18-2005 | 09:46 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

just park it with a full tank. start it every so often if you like. dont remove the battery, just disconnect it. four months is nothing.
Old 11-18-2005 | 09:50 AM
daniel951
Race Car

recently my car got thrown out of the garage but i do have a car cover on it for now. Its not a real big problem because soon as it warms up the motor is coming out and the car is going to the paint shop
Old 11-18-2005 | 10:38 AM
testarossa_td
Race Car

You might put it up on jack stands just to keep the rubber from stressing and making it harder for any critters to hind under it, then in it...
Old 11-18-2005 | 02:31 PM
eohrnberger
Rennlist Member

Hell No! I don't even leave my 944 outside in the summer!

But if you have to, make sure to put mothballs on the inside, and around the engine to keep rodents from eating your hoses and interior. Perhaps also a coffee can clamped over the tail pipe, keep our other rodents from making a nest in the muffler.
Old 11-18-2005 | 03:54 PM
formerGMguy
Racer

Originally Posted by testarossa_td
You might put it up on jack stands just to keep the rubber from stressing and making it harder for any critters to hind under it, then in it...
Actually your a lot better off not putting it up on jackstands. Tires used to go out of round easily, but with new low profile tires this is much less of a problem than it used to be, a couple miles of highway travel next spring will straighten out any tire issues the car might have after sitting. Putting the car up in the air however, lets the suspension relax which causes funny geometries that can mess with the strut mount bushings, and as we all know suspension work is way more expensive than a new set of rubber.

The only other suggestion I'd make is to change the oil, top off all fluids, and cover it with a decent car cover (you'll be glad you did when you go to wash it next spring).
Old 11-18-2005 | 04:09 PM
Robert D
Three Wheelin'

Speaking of rodents. While my brothers car was sitting with a worn-out motor (~150k on original) we kept finding traces of chewed acorns or nuts on his carpets and parts of his steering wheel were chewed away. We could not figure out how anything was getting in as we had covered pretty much everything with plastic bags...
When we got around to dropping the motor in the Spring, during the process found what appeared to be a nest of trash inside one of the headers. When the motor was on a roll-around and covered with a drop cloth we were cleaning up to head inside, then there was a noise from the motor. I turn around and see a rat the size of a softball running out of the drop cloth and out our back garage door before diving off the deck. We just looked at each other like "uhhh............". Haha. Seal that car for sure!
Old 11-18-2005 | 04:25 PM
SKooT1027
Pro

I say just keep on driving.. thats what i do in the winter.. just try to avoid the roads if they have any sort of corrosives thrown down on them-- wait for other cars to absorb it all
Old 11-18-2005 | 04:29 PM
95Juan
Mexican Ambassador
Lifetime Rennlist

what's winter?
Old 11-18-2005 | 04:32 PM
Robert D
Three Wheelin'

Here is what Texas Longhorns can do when in the snow, hahaha. My brother cracks me up.
Picture 1
Picture 2
Picture 3

This was done during his first snow since moving to Denver and that is at his new house he just built and moved into a few weeks beforehand. Ouch!
Old 11-18-2005 | 06:20 PM
StyleLab
Burning Brakes

wow thanks for the great response, you guys are amazing! sealing the tail pipe and putting mothballs is a great idea! I just hope the odour doesn't linger afterwards As for the tires, I need new ones anyways. Thanks for everyone's time.

Quick Reply: anyone leave car outside in winter?