Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

History of this 951?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2005, 12:05 AM
Waterguy
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question History of this 951?

I am looking (at a distance) at a low-mileage 951. It ws imported from japan earlier this year, but does not appear to be a Japanese-market car. The VIN is US-market style:

The front marker lights are not US style, but are raised and do not appear to be Euro style:

The rear bumper, however, is a US bumper:

The speeedometer and odometer are in miles:

Anyone have a guess about the origin of this car (1986 Copenhagen blue with dark blue Fuchs, btw.) US market imported to Japan? Japanese market? Other?

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 11-17-2005, 12:45 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 108 Posts

US market would have had the side markers. The speedo indicates a US. If it was a Japanese market it would be RHD wouldn't it? I think you might want to run a CarFax on it for sure, that's awfully low mileage. Does it have the Euro driving/fog lights or the standard North America fog only? The missing side markers are a mystery though.
Old 11-17-2005, 12:46 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

No idea of the history of the blue one, but FYI James at SCAN is selling his Japanese 944 Turbo.
Old 11-17-2005, 12:52 AM
Byron_944
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is what a carfax turns up...

Total Loss Check:

GOOD NEWS! No severe damage events were ever reported by a DMV for this 1986 PORSCHE 944 (WP0AA0957GN152774). If you find that any of the following severe problems were reported by a DMV and not included in this report, CARFAX will buy this vehicle back. You must register to activate this free guarantee!

Salvage Title Loss Due To Fire Title
Junk Title Flood Damage Title
Rebuilt/Reconstructed Title Hail Damage Title
Dismantled Title Canadian Total Loss

Other Accident Indicators:

This 1986 PORSCHE 944 (WP0AA0957GN152774) had no accident indicators reported to CARFAX from its sources. This section checks for accidents and/or related damage reported from many public and private sources. Not all accidents are reported to CARFAX. A vehicle inspection completed by your dealer or professional mechanic is recommended.

No Salvage Auction Record Reported No Crash Test Vehicle Record Reported
No Fire Damage Record Reported No Airbag Deployment Record Reported
No Automotive Recycler Record Reported No Damage Disclosure Record Reported
No Frame Damage Record Reported No Collision Repair Facility Record Reported
No Police Accident Record Reported

CARFAX depends on public and private sources for its accident data. Each one of these sources has different processing times. CARFAX can only report what is in our database on 16.Nov.2005 22:49:47. New data will result in a change to this report.
Not all accidents are reported to the Police. Tell us if you know of other fender benders, accidents or damage.

Register FREE Guarantee | CARFAX Help Center

Truth-In-Mileage Check:

GOOD NEWS! No major odometer problems were ever reported by a DMV under the Truth-In-Mileage Act for this 1986 PORSCHE 944 (WP0AA0957GN152774). If you find that any of the following odometer problems were reported by a DMV and not included in this report, CARFAX will buy this vehicle back. You must register to activate this free guarantee!

Not Actual Mileage Title - issued by DMV when the owner discloses mileage fraud or a broken odometer.
Exceeds Mechanical Limits Title - issued by DMV when the owner discloses an odometer rollover.

Odometer Rollback Check:

CARFAX found no odometer rollbacks for this 1986 PORSCHE 944 (WP0AA0957GN152774). Rollbacks reported in this section originate from readings collected by a DMV or other verifiable source.

Mileage Consistency Check:

CARFAX found no inconsistent odometer readings in the mileage history of this 1986 PORSCHE 944 (WP0AA0957GN152774).

Date: Mileage:
10/14/1989 14,800

Do you know this vehicle's current mileage? Tell us and help protect others from mileage fraud.

GOOD NEWS! No manufacturer buyback was ever reported by a DMV for this 1986 PORSCHE 944 (WP0AA0957GN152774). If you find that a manufacturer buyback was reported by a DMV and not included in this report, CARFAX will buy this vehicle back. You must register to activate this free guarantee!

Ownership History:

CARFAX estimates that this 1986 PORSCHE 944 (WP0AA0957GN152774) had at least 1 owner. CARFAX analyzed this vehicle's title history and other supporting events to identify potential ownership transfers. In compliance with the U.S. privacy laws, CARFAX does not collect or report owner names or addresses.

Estimated Owners: Date: Location:
At least 1 owner No data No data

Types of Owners:

This 1986 PORSCHE 944 (WP0AA0957GN152774) was checked for 8 types of registrations.

No Personal Use Registration Reported No Fleet Registration Reported
No Lease Registration Reported No Commercial Registration Reported
No Rental Registration Reported No Non-Profit Registration Reported
No Taxi Registration Reported No Built to Non U.S. Standards Record Reported

Do you have information about how this vehicle was used or driven? Tell us what you know.

This 1986 PORSCHE 944 (WP0AA0957GN152774) has 1 manufacturer recall(s) that require repair. Most manufacturer recalls can be repaired at no cost to you.

Date: Source: Description:
08/04/2005 Porsche Cars North America Recall #AK03L01 Replace Fuel Hose /
Rail 924 S,944,944 Turbo

Click here or call 1-800-PORSCHE to locate an authorized Porsche dealer near you to obtain more information about this recall.

CARFAX cannot calculate the remaining coverage for this 1986 PORSCHE 944 (WP0AA0957GN152774) because no original manufacturer warranty information was reported to CARFAX by its source.

Estimated start date of warranty: 10/14/1989
Last reading reported on 10/14/1989: 14,800 miles
Today's Date: November 16, 2005

Type of Coverage: Original Warranty:
Basic No data reported to CARFAX
Drivetrain No data reported to CARFAX
Emissions No data reported to CARFAX
Corrosion No data reported to CARFAX
Transferable No data reported to CARFAX
Roadside Assistance No data reported to CARFAX
Safety Belt & Inflatable Restraint No data reported to CARFAX
Specific Components No data reported to CARFAX

CARFAX Warranty Check provides an estimate of this vehicle's remaining warranty coverage. It does not take into account some vehicle history events. For example, major accidents resulting in Salvage or Junk titles that may void the original manufacturer warranty or ownership transfers that may decrease warranty coverage. This warranty information is only valid for vehicles manufactured for sale in the US. Complete warranty coverage information is available for this vehicle at the PORSCHE web site.

CARFAX searched more than 3 billion records from over 7,600 sources and found 4 record(s) for this 1986 PORSCHE 944 (WP0AA0957GN152774).

Date:
Mileage Reading:
Source:
General Comments:

10/14/1989 14,800 Alaska
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Anchorage, AK
Title #965652
Title or registration issued

12/31/1995 Alaska
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Anchorage, AK
Title #965652
Title or registration issued

07/18/1999 Alaska
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Title #965652
Registration issued or renewed

08/04/2005 Porsche Cars
North America
Manufacturer recall/service bulletin issued
Recall #AK03L01 Replace Fuel Hose /
Rail 924 S,944,944 Turbo
Old 11-17-2005, 01:37 AM
Waterguy
Three Wheelin'

Wow, registered in Alaska in 1989. How bizarre. That doesn't explain the side markers, though.

KuHL: standard north american fog lights; good point, I had missed that:

Instead of a driving light switch, it appears to have the pyrometer idiot light option:

Brian, yes I am aware of James' 1988 turbo. I am shopping around a bit to see how his asking price compares to the market; prices have certainly dropped since I bought my 1989 three years ago. I will probably call James when I have a final settlement on my car.
Old 11-17-2005, 05:46 PM
Scott M.
Rest in Peace
Rennlist Member

Japanese cars had to have a temp sensor for the Cats. I've seen a few Japanese import 928's with that feature. Side markers can be added at any time. My 86 na US and my old 968 has the wires for the lights in the fender area.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:09 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Its a 49 state (non california) U. S. spec 951 since it has the federal sticker. This car must have been exported to Japan during the late 80s or early 90s when Japanese had lots more money from their trade surplus with the U. S. and bought not only U. S. real estate but imported U. S. cars because they were "cheap" due to the yen exchange rate at that time. Houses in Beverly Hills were considered very cheap compared to ones in Tokyo. I don't think there is anything special about that car.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:27 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, sounds like a U.S. market car that migrated to japan and returned.
I wonder about the lights on the fenders though....
Old 11-17-2005, 07:29 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

There are plenty of "euro" lights people install on their fenders that are aftermarket.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:59 PM
Scott M.
Rest in Peace
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Legoland951
Its a 49 state (non california) U. S. spec 951 since it has the federal sticker. This car must have been exported to Japan during the late 80s or early 90s when Japanese had lots more money from their trade surplus with the U. S. and bought not only U. S. real estate but imported U. S. cars because they were "cheap" due to the yen exchange rate at that time. Houses in Beverly Hills were considered very cheap compared to ones in Tokyo. I don't think there is anything special about that car.
Funny OT story regarding the Japanese...

While in Med school in the 80's, I'd go home to Hawaii for the summers and drive a Taxi for my late stepfather. Used to haul a lot of Japanese tourist to the golf courses. One guy told me that it was cheaper to bring his family all the way to Hawaii for a week and play 2 rounds of golf per day than it was to play one round at a country club in Tokyo.
Oh the good ol' days.
Old 11-17-2005, 08:30 PM
BigNNasty
Racer

Scott...Thats just plain Awesome...

Wish us americans could do those kinds of things.

Waterguy...

How do you know that the fender markers weren't installed by someone else, and the bumper side markers were covered? I don't think there is a real way to tell they have been covered, except for taking the bumper off, or just tapping around in the general vicinity and seeing if you can notice any noise differences.

It's not weird if the car was overseas. I mean, look how close Alaska is to Asia. it's not all that far, it's very likely.

Good looking car!
Old 11-17-2005, 09:20 PM
Waterguy
Three Wheelin'

How do you know that the fender markers weren't installed by someone else, and the bumper side markers were covered?
I don't know. Not knowing the history of the car before it was imported from Japan, I was curious about the origin of this car and what market used Euro fenders with US rear bumper. Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread it seems reasonable that it was a US market car that was exported first to Japan then back to Canada. My only concern now is maybe it has been in a bad enough accident that the front clip was completely replaced with Euro or aftermarket fenderss while it was in Japan

Good looking car!
It certainly is. (Of course, I am a sucker for the old-school Fuchs look.) Definitely worth springing for the cost of a PPI.

Quick Reply: History of this 951?