Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P-mags, PCA Membership, Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2005, 12:03 PM
H2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Default P-mags, PCA Membership, Worth it?

I tried PCA out a year and dropped it. I liked the $100 certificate but the DIY and forums and articles in journals were not very frequent nor adequate to the 968 or 928 which I own...So I subscribed to an English mag that costs me about $90 a year...911 and Porsche. Wish we had something similar in USA. Excellence doesn't have as many front engine articles. Tried that one too. Found that I can buy an occasional issue off the newstands and come out ahead.

I've subscribed to most Porsche/Sports Car mags at one time or another but was always irritated that I could buy the mags off the news stand several days to a week before I'd ever get mine in the mail...so why subscribe under these conditions? Other than price, I feel subscribing should have an advantage. So I
"shop" for mags and buy the single issues off the stands that interest me. I'd do different if I had a 911.

Harvey
Old 11-01-2005, 12:45 PM
BlueDog944
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The biggest benefit I found to PCA is if you like to attend the track events. Compared to Audi club and a few others I've checked out, the cost is the cheapest.

But I agree, it seems that they are much more focused on the new cars. Vintage 911s are second on the list. Where us water-cooled black sheep fall into the list, who knows.
Old 11-01-2005, 12:51 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Really the only reason i am in the PCA is for the cheaper autocross cost. The membership practically pays for itself as you get a coupon that is either good for a free autocross event ($40) or i believe $30 or $40 of the cost of a DE event. You are correct, Panorama does not have much for us front engine owners, but they still have good articles about the new P-cars coming out...etc. Makes for a good bathroom read . Excellence was great 3-4 years ago with their white '89 project 944. However they havent had much about that car in a long time now. I think the only magazine i have a subscription to is Road and Track....to tell you the truth im not even sure why im getting that magazine, i never paid for any subscription.

Actually another perk i didnt think of until now is meeting some great people. I felt a little nervous at first being a 19 year old kid with an old 944 coming to these events. But it was to my suprise that everyone, from the older 911 guys, to the brand new 997 guys are very friendly and willing to offer you advice with your driving..etc.
Old 11-01-2005, 12:57 PM
Stephenwz968
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree that the people are the best part. Rennlist is awesome, with plenty of advice and great people, but for actual get togethers, etc, the PCA is a great resource.

Steve
Old 11-01-2005, 01:06 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
Actually another perk i didnt think of until now is meeting some great people. I felt a little nervous at first being a 19 year old kid with an old 944 coming to these events. But it was to my suprise that everyone, from the older 911 guys, to the brand new 997 guys are very friendly and willing to offer you advice with your driving..etc.
They just didn't want you hitting their cars

The euro mag mentioned is pretty good, but only just, and anybody who has tried to start one for us has failed

Bang for buck is Rennlist, and taking the laptop to the bathroom for a good read....just doesn't work so well.
Old 11-01-2005, 02:39 PM
ventoGT
Three Wheelin'

PCA is also good for discounts at certain dealerships and tire retailers [Butler Tire in Atlanta gives a 10% PCA discount, which is substantial when you spend a grand or more on a set of tires and installation]. Jim Ellis will run deals as well with coupons in the PCA catalog for service discounts, etc.
Old 11-01-2005, 02:55 PM
jeeper31
Race Car

Really the only reason i am in the PCA is for the cheaper autocross cost. The membership practically pays for itself as you get a coupon that is either good for a free autocross event ($40) or i believe $30 or $40 of the cost of a DE event. You are correct, Panorama does not have much for us front engine owners, but they still have good articles about the new P-cars coming out...etc. Makes for a good bathroom read . Excellence was great 3-4 years ago with their white '89 project 944. However they havent had much about that car in a long time now. I think the only magazine i have a subscription to is Road and Track....to tell you the truth im not even sure why im getting that magazine, i never paid for any subscription.

Is there a coupon for a free autocross? I never saw/heard of that.
Old 11-01-2005, 03:04 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Dan, i got it in the mail along with my membership card. I used it for the autocross school event.
Old 11-01-2005, 03:20 PM
aeronautica86
Three Wheelin'

I think PCA membership is mostly for DEs and autocrosses (less expensive entry), as far as mags go, I like 911 & Porsche World, but it is rather expensive
Old 11-01-2005, 04:22 PM
jeeper31
Race Car

Dan, i got it in the mail along with my membership card. I used it for the autocross school event.
I'll have to check the envelope. I joined just to do the school and autocross but don't remember seeing anything. Maybe i'll get lucky and check the envelope. Would be nice to get a free autocross at the end of the season.
Old 11-01-2005, 06:49 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 96 Posts

Here in Upper Canada Region, the leading Porsche dealer, Pfaff, offers a 10% discount on parts. The way I'm going with the project, it pays me to get the membership.

The Panorama magazing is actually not bad. I enjoy the columns by Michael Cotton and Bill Oursler.

However, if all you get out of the PCA is the magazine, then it probably is not the best deal. But usually autocross, DE, fun runs and the aforementioned dealer parts discounts (if available) usually mean there's something for everyone.

Oh yeah, I like 911 & Porsche World too, probably my favorite mag overall.
Old 11-01-2005, 08:00 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What timing! My $30 event credit came in the mail today since renewing.

Like others have said, the local events and social outtings are the plusses of PCA while Rennlist is the source of my front engined cars technical goodies and GTG 's. Sharktoberfest was an effn' blast.
Old 11-01-2005, 08:13 PM
Mike S
Three Wheelin'

My opinion:

1)Panorama is good for one thing: swatting flies
2)Classifieds and tech articles are useless

I never tried the track events although based upon what others have said that might make membership worth your while.

Quick Reply: P-mags, PCA Membership, Worth it?