Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 'Totalled'

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2005, 11:07 PM
Izzy
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 944 'Totalled'

What started out as an evening joyride for me in my '89 S2 has ended with my car sitting out in front of my apartment disfigured and not driveable. The rear bumper took most of the damage... actually damage to the bumper and rear valence were the only visible damage, but after restarting my car from the stall and getting it off the road, I found out there was more damage than just a flattened bumper. The Jaguar that hit me did it hard enough to shove the bumper and rear valence into the back of the transmission, which now grinds upon shifting into 2 and 3, in addition to some strange clutch behavior and chattering while driving. The rear axle also whines.

The cop tells me hes worked on cars for years and that I'm exaggerating, but I have a $4000 bill to prove what was once new is now destroyed. I guess what I'm looking for is spare parts if anyones got them, and advice. Insurance company wants to total the car at bluebook ($3500, liars) but I want it all fixed... they also tell me I'm lying about the mechanical damage to the car. I haven't yet decided what I'm going to do, but I want to keep the car and want it fixed. I'm not letting the insurance company of someone who just spent $60k on a Jag total my car and give me a check for a few thousand when I've spent well over 3 times what its supposedly worth on it. Anyone got a bumper/transmission? >

The pic is my car the day I got it, pre-rims.
Attached Images  
Old 10-23-2005, 11:21 PM
bjzorn
Canadian Yankee
Rennlist Member

Izzy PM me your email addy Tom R, on this board was nice enough to send me a speard sheet and a copy of a letter that he send to geico. and it helped him get more for his car.

Brandon
Old 10-23-2005, 11:25 PM
Izzy
Three Wheelin'

Yeah, I've spoken with him previously. Their insurance company isn't even trying to settle with me, they want to give me a few hundred for the bumper claiming the mechanical issues couldn't be a result of the accident. They said if it is totalled then I get the $3500. I ber her Jag's getting fixed... must be nice.
Old 10-23-2005, 11:37 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

Why not have an appraisal of damage. Get a Porsche shop to inspect the transmission and declare whether it was "impact damage" that caused this or not.
Old 10-23-2005, 11:37 PM
bjzorn
Canadian Yankee
Rennlist Member

just remeber don't settle, i would start looking for others S2's in the area in similar condition of your car before the accident and milage. And show that to them. They Can't tell you that your car was mechainally wrong before teh accident. I would get a letter from the shop that works on your car and have them tell teh insurance company. Afterall you can prove the Ins co. wrong

Good Luck

Oh yeah do you have any neck or back pain? LOL

Brandon
Old 10-23-2005, 11:39 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

Is the insurance company aware that our transmission is back there though? Maybe they have no experience and think it is in the front attached to the engine and therefore assume there is no way possible that could have happened.

EDIT: yeah thats a good call on finding comparable cars. I personally have NEVER seen a $3500 S2. That is N/A territory. Even Turbos are pretty scarce that low. I think the cheapest S2 ive ever seen was like $5000.
Old 10-23-2005, 11:41 PM
Izzy
Three Wheelin'

I'm sure I could let them know about the whole concept behind RWD, they're probably too ignorant otherwise. As for info from the shop that previously worked on the car... I put the car in the garage, they wouldn't be able to attest to anything. I'm sure I'm gonna get stiffed on this accident, but I'll at least raise enough hell.

The back pain, just got back from the hospital, unfortunately it was never mechanically sound to begin with.

The cars going to a third party import mechanic first thing tomorrow to check out the drivetrain issues, then I'm talking to the insurance company so far once I get an estimate from them. Worst case scenario, I just ask for the maximum possible check I can get for damages then I work on finding and fixing the car myself.
Old 10-23-2005, 11:46 PM
bjzorn
Canadian Yankee
Rennlist Member

just an example, he is a 91 S2 coupe, with 62,000 miles on the body and NO motor and its still selling for 5200. If the insurance company wants to give you 3500 they have the heads way to far up the butts to even comperhead what they are doing

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...ayphotohosting

Brandon
Old 10-23-2005, 11:49 PM
Izzy
Three Wheelin'

They can buy me this one... or cut me a check: http://autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ca...e=&cardist=387
Old 10-23-2005, 11:54 PM
bjzorn
Canadian Yankee
Rennlist Member

well so it looks like you have your lowest bid and your highest bid show them those to and see what they say.

Good Luck

Brandon
Old 10-24-2005, 12:02 AM
Blue S2
Race Car

HA, yeah. Good find on that link!

No, our cars not just rear wheel drive...they are REAR TRANSAXLE!!! That means the transmission is actually PART of everything in the back. Not all RWD cars have transaxles. If you hit was strong enough in the back to send energy through the suspension linkage, maybe it could have damage the transmission since its right there. I'm not the most qualified to comment here, but I am judging from what I know about our cars.
Old 10-24-2005, 12:08 AM
Izzy
Three Wheelin'

Would it make ANY sense that if I use granny-style double clutching I have no grinding? The car also whines now from the rear, it wasn't even that hard of an impact, but I guess moving parts don't like coming to a complete stop. Who knows, maybe getting a check will be a good thing, I could buy a 928.

Last edited by Izzy; 10-24-2005 at 12:24 AM.
Old 10-24-2005, 12:45 AM
Blue S2
Race Car

Yes it would make sense. Double clutching came from cars that had no synchros. If you have a problem in there, you are efficively matching up without needing the synchromesh, just like old style.
Old 10-24-2005, 12:57 AM
Kurt R
Hates Family Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Izzy
Would it make ANY sense that if I use granny-style double clutching I have no grinding? The car also whines now from the rear, it wasn't even that hard of an impact, but I guess moving parts don't like coming to a complete stop. Who knows, maybe getting a check will be a good thing, I could buy a 928.
There's not a puddle of gear lube under the back of the car, is there?
Old 10-24-2005, 01:25 AM
Izzy
Three Wheelin'

Nope... doesn't look like any real damage on the outside, rear bumper flattened into the under valence. What looks like the spare tire well bent into the back of the transmission, and I'm sure if it pushed it forward at all the car is totalled. Clutch damage in addition to the transmission, and possible flywheel/engine damage. Maybe thats why the car stalled. I'm having bad luck with these Porsches, let me tell you.

Quick Reply: 944 'Totalled'