Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 'Totalled'

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2005 | 03:15 AM
Jerad
Pro

Originally Posted by sracer
just an example, he is a 91 S2 coupe, with 62,000 miles on the body and NO motor and its still selling for 5200. If the insurance company wants to give you 3500 they have the heads way to far up the butts to even comperhead what they are doing

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...ayphotohosting

Brandon

I don't think that car is "selling" for $5200, that is just the BIN, it doesn't even have any bids.

Izzy, sorry to hear about your troubles. I had an 84 w/ 63k miles that had an engine fire a couple years ago and they gave me ~$6k. Tell your insurance company that KBB is not the same as fair market value. Unfortunately it sounds like you have a crappy insurance company and it might be time to hire a lawyer.

best of luck
Old 10-24-2005 | 08:33 AM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Do you suppose it's possible that the impact could have just jarred something loose in the shift linkage?

BB.
Old 10-24-2005 | 09:30 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

OK, Here goes,
First off, feel free to share the spreadsheet.

Regarding your back. The first thing they teach in law school is the egg shell head theory, or take your victim as you find him. i dont know your states laws, so you need a local lawyer, but if your back was made worse, you may have a cause of acton. again, speak to a local lawyer.

as far as the rear end goes, have a porsche shop put your car up on a lift and give you an estimate of the damage.

about the car for 5200 with no bids. fair market value is defined using the terms "willing buyer and willing seller". according to that auction, there is no willing seller for 4800 or 5199. follow that one.

my 89 S2 with 56k is worth at least 10k, andys with 107k was worth the same with a new clutch and konis (before it became a movie star. now it is worth even more).

do you have a LSD? if so and if that box was damaged, the damage to the LSD tranny alone is about 2k. go find one!!!

take it to the next level and PM me. together we will get you a fair price. Post some pictures.
Old 10-24-2005 | 10:47 AM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Don't you just love it when the fuzz chimes in their two cents...must stop while I am ahead.....
That estimate seems brutally low! Tell them you could get a grand alone for the crankshaft
Old 10-24-2005 | 11:06 AM
Blue S2
Race Car

Yeah stay on this and you will get a fair price. I'm sure you can work towards something over $6,000 becuase you won't be replacing an S2 for anything less! (and at that...not even a decent one!)
Old 10-24-2005 | 02:08 PM
Izzy
Three Wheelin'

Took it to the mechanic today and spoke with the insurance co some more. The only body damage I want fixed is the bumper/shocks/pads and painted to match mine. Wheel well isn't too bad so in lieu of totalling the car I told them a bumper and tranny (I'm told the gears could have stripped off when the impact happened). They told me I'd take it to the body shop to get an estimate on the bumper, and a transmission shop to get an estimate on the tranmission, yet I have to pay the diagnosis/removal/installation costs unless they determine BEYOND REASONABLE DOUBT that it was in fact accident related. So theres a good chance I'll get screwed on the tranny. Torque tube shifted up but some tabs on the body stopped it before it caused any real damage, easily fixed so I'm told. So its jus tthe tranmission I'm worried about.
Old 10-24-2005 | 02:17 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Did the mechanic check the clutch and how it worked? Id be pretty worried about the entire drivetrain. The body and drivetrain is designed so that those tabs stop it from moving too much, but who knows how much slack there really is before more damage can occur.

Fight to get the transmission and everything else that went wrong covered. Including the fees for checking it. Itll be a tough fight, but dealing with insurance companies always is. Have any people driven your car recently who can attest to it not grinding? That might help.
Old 10-24-2005 | 02:20 PM
Izzy
Three Wheelin'

I'm pretty **** with who I let drive my car... first and last guy that a car of mine dropped the clutch in every gear and balded my tires significantly within a few miles of driving. So no, no one can attest to it, but why would I be driving a broke *** car that grinded in gears? Its barely drivable now.
Old 10-24-2005 | 02:35 PM
Zero10
Race Car

If the spare tire well was pushed into the transmission, then check your hatch floor for buckling. If there are kinks in the hatch floor, the car is done.
I suspect that since it was able to relocate the torque tube to that extent, that the frame is indeed bent. If the frame is bent, the car is a write-off, it's too expensive to fix. That said, if this is the case, there is no argument about the transmission, etc.

Otherwise, if the spare tire well hit the transmission, then the impact was obviously pretty darn hard. Take it to a porsche mechanic, they will back you up that the imact caused your transmission to start acting up.

I've seen one that was dropped, and it had a lot of similar problems to yours, eventually one of the bearings inside of it locked up, and really bad things happened....
Old 10-24-2005 | 02:46 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Izzy
I'm pretty **** with who I let drive my car... first and last guy that a car of mine dropped the clutch in every gear and balded my tires significantly within a few miles of driving. So no, no one can attest to it, but why would I be driving a broke *** car that grinded in gears? Its barely drivable now.
I can see why no one else would get to drive it. How about a mechanic recently?
Old 10-24-2005 | 03:33 PM
azmi951
Drifting

Just don't give up and take it to a shop that is willing to fight WITH you to get your car back to the way YOU want it.
Old 10-24-2005 | 03:45 PM
Scott M.
Rest in Peace
Rennlist Member

Izzy;

As a point of reference....I have a 944 tranny sitting here that was involved in a 'mild' frontal impact. PO told me he as doing 35 mph when he rearended a minivan. The impact knocked the trans out of gear, locking it between 1st and 2nd.
Insurance companies have teams of people sitting around all day thinking of ways to screw Joe Public. Get ugly w/ them. The burden of proof is on them, not you. And get your back checked out by a qualified Chiropractor.
Old 10-24-2005 | 03:46 PM
sm
Drifting

Sorry if this is stating what you already know, but the torque tube has an input shaft leading from the tranny all the way to the clutch pressure plate and clutch disk. If the accident caused the torque tube to stop against the tabs of the frame, I would be real concerned about the damage that may have been inflicted in the clutch area. Pushed hard enough, would the torque tube input shaft run up agains the pilot bearing? I wouldn't take any chances...
Old 10-24-2005 | 03:51 PM
AznDrgn
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by testarossa_td
Tell them you could get a grand alone for the crankshaft
Tell me where you found a buyer at that price, I have had one kicking around my house for almost 2 years because nobody seems to want it.

Back on topic you should have the rear axle checked to make sure it's still straight since those tabs caught and stopped the TT. The bell housing should also be checked for cracks, it doesn't take much to crack that pop metal and that would explain some issues with your clutch.
Old 10-24-2005 | 03:59 PM
bearone
Three Wheelin'

i got $5k + the 87944S that was totalled last feb.

the values were the same as kbb, which is where they probably got the info.

somebody's hosing you.

Quick Reply: 944 'Totalled'