Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another AC delete thread and weight reduction

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2005, 03:54 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another AC delete thread and weight reduction

Well, I'm strongly considering yanking the AC on the porsche. Its not a daily driver, its intended to be tracked, and I want the weight gone, and the space free.
First off, do I have any other choices aside from the Broadfoot and factory brackets. I prefer, out of the two, the broadfoot, since its blingier, and looks lighter (one pound! woot!) and its 5 bucks cheaper too.
I want to pull EVERYTHING, but I'm not sure how much work the evaporator is to remove, does anyone have some insight on this?
Searching around, I'm reading weight removed numbers going from 30-40 pounds, 50 pounds, all the way up to 80 pounds gone. What is the true #? I'm going to weigh everything myself, and post up my results, but I'd like to have an idea of what to expect.
Any advice appreciated.
On a semi ot note, I've recently removed the crusie control, and ALL of its components. I weighed it, and I beleive that was around 6-8 pounds? the winsheild washer tank, pump, and lines are on the chopping block next, then the rear wiper, and then I'm out of ideas. I have seats, that was almost 50 pounds out, made up for by the roll bar, but the rear upper seat portion was 20 pounds gone. Anything I can still remove without going all out stripped track car, and not spending 700 for manual steering? (for that price, I'll keep power)
~Eyal
Old 10-12-2005, 04:04 PM
95Juan
Mexican Ambassador
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

when i removed my A/C on my n/a, i just took it to my mechanic to have him disconnect all the lines and such. did it for next to nothing (like, 20 bucks on my bill), and all i had to do was change the brackets and tension the belts. i dont have the exact weight, but the A/C compressor is a PIG, i'll weigh the bracket and the compressor when i get home
Old 10-12-2005, 04:07 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Removing the evaporator is easy and well worth it. I didn't weigh anything that came off of my car so I don't know the weights. Do you plan on gutting below the dash? There's a lot of weight down there!
Old 10-12-2005, 04:14 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

It's @ 42lbs if I recall correctly, for everything connected to the A/C stuff. If you are a total geek like me you will get the non-A/C heater control unit from a euro car, although it is only ounces lighter.

Evaporator is a snap to remove. All of it is fairly straight forward. I like that it relocates the Alternator down lower. I got the Luke/Larry A/C delete bracket that looks nice. I say get the Broadfoot one, it looks good and is slightly lighter.
Old 10-12-2005, 04:14 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Lemming, I was thinking that gutting some stuff under and below the dash may be possible, but to be honest, I don't know whats under there. Also, there really is no point in going overboard, I still have no skill in THIS car. I run HPDE's, and I run quick with red group in a FWD car, but i still have many events and learning to do in 300 hp, RWD, turbo car. Whats under the dash, anything I do not need? I'll remove the evaporator then.
~Eyal
Old 10-12-2005, 04:20 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by tifosiman
It's @ 42lbs if I recall correctly, for everything connected to the A/C stuff. If you are a total geek like me you will get the non-A/C heater control unit from a euro car, although it is only ounces lighter.

Evaporator is a snap to remove. All of it is fairly straight forward. I like that it relocates the Alternator down lower. I got the Luke/Larry A/C delete bracket that looks nice. I say get the Broadfoot one, it looks good and is slightly lighter.
so 42 pounds for EVERYTHING? including evap? not a bad #, but with everyone quoting more, I had my hopes up. Still worth it however. I'm not usre if spending the money on the non- ac panel is worth it. I know P-O-P will get on my case about it (JK Jeff) but its not worth the money, and oddly enough, i don't like how the color coded temp control **** looks. Maybe if one came buy for very cheap...
I really like the the alt is relocated, the lowered cg is nice, as well as the extra room, and more air towards the turbo. (help keep the engine bay a tad cooler?) I also like that my radiator will be getting a better shot of air.
The two things that worry me about the broadfoot unit are the customer service issues I read about, and is it strong enough?
~Eyal
Old 10-12-2005, 04:25 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Eyal 951
so 42 pounds for EVERYTHING? including evap? not a bad #, but with everyone quoting more, I had my hopes up. Still worth it however. I'm not usre if spending the money on the non- ac panel is worth it. I know P-O-P will get on my case about it (JK Jeff) but its not worth the money, and oddly enough, i don't like how the color coded temp control **** looks. Maybe if one came buy for very cheap...
I really like the the alt is relocated, the lowered cg is nice, as well as the extra room, and more air towards the turbo. (help keep the engine bay a tad cooler?) I also like that my radiator will be getting a better shot of air.
The two things that worry me about the broadfoot unit are the customer service issues I read about, and is it strong enough?
~Eyal
Yep, that was for everything including the lines past the firewall and into the collector under the dash. I agree the cost-to-function ratio on the heater control is bad, but I just wanted one (O.C. Syndrome issues) and didn't want POP to raz me for another thing, it's bad enought that I drive an SUV.

I wouldn't be concerned about Broadfoot's customer service on a part like this. I mean, once you get it and put it on, you are done. Not much to go wrong there, I don't think it will ever break as it isn't under a great deal of strain. It looks like the piece that Luke/Larry were selling and it is way beefier than it needs to be, IMHO. I guess the only drawback to ordering it from Broadfoot would be the waiting game for it to arrive at your doorstep.
Old 10-12-2005, 04:37 PM
DanG
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I need a CHEAP condensor if someone yanked one in good shape. CHEAP is the operative word here.
Old 10-12-2005, 06:23 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I came up with a bit higher total when I weighed everything I removed from my car, as indicated in my sig. The only allowance I would make though would be the cardboard box I had everything in when I weighed it and maybe the bracket, since I didn't do add back the weight of the AC delete bracket. I included everything, all hard and rubber lines, all brackets, all bolts, all shrouds, you name it. If it came out as a result of the AC delete it got added in to the lump of stuff I weighed. it came out right at 50lbs on a certified postal scale. So subtract the weight of the box and a pound or two for the AC delete bracket and maybe 46lbs.

Eyal, if you are going to order the Broadfoot part, which may take a while to receive, but are chomping at the bit to do this, I will loan you my factory AC delete bracket since I am now using the one Larry/Luke sold a while back.
Old 10-12-2005, 06:52 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Manning, I really apreciate the offer, but i am in no rush. I'll probably just do it on a weekend when i dont have mid terms, projects, and papers to do for school, and when i can spend a bit less time on the business I'm building. (The past couple weeks have been hectic)
Thanks for your insight on the wieght, I have gone through your signature many times and know your #'s well.
~Eyal
Old 10-13-2005, 12:23 AM
24stiffy
Intermediate

Yup, AC is only about 40lbs. On the upside though, that 25lb compressor is out in front of the wheels, as is the condensor.
As for the alt relocation...for a temporary fix I altered my stock bracket. Shaved about 1/2" off the spot that the compressor hung, and threw the alternator down there. Allowed me to use factory tension rod as well. I believe I used a 928 alternator belt, but don't quote me on that one...

There is about 100lbs of sound deadening in the 944 though. Specifically under the dash and aroung the driver/passenger. There are also rubber inserts in the roof that should be good for a couple of pounds up high...
Old 10-13-2005, 12:30 AM
24stiffy
Intermediate

Oh, to really get you thinking. You can remove 550lbs in total from a 944.
In this case, the interior was gutted with the excepion of a race seat, wheel and the dash cluster mounted on custom aluminum bracket. Power steering was kept on this car. There was a GT Racing rear bumper, and the stock front bumper. Lexan hatch would remove a further 50lbs, I think.
Old 10-13-2005, 12:34 AM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts

eyal, i concur with the 40lb range of weight loss. that's what i got also. the condensor in front is very easy to remove, the compressor is a heavy SOB, but the aluminum lines are all very lightweight.

things to consider......does broadfoot include the mounting bolts and the shorter belt? i bought the OEM bracket from paragon which included the appropriate mounting bolts and the shorter alternator belt.
other weight reduction suggestions:

-sound mats under carpets (2 front, 2 rear) -saves about 25 pounds
-sunroof motor with wiring and cables. use manual sunroof latches
-rear hatch wiper and motor
-lightweight track seats mounted directly to floorboard (saves headroom)
-front foglights replaced with brake ducts
-radio and speakers. saves about 10-15 pounds.
-replace cat with straight pipe if this is off-road car. the cat is quite heavy
-remove seatbelts and use harnesses if off-road

i've got other suggestions but it depends how serious you are.
Old 10-13-2005, 12:46 AM
Sam I am
or Sam O
Rennlist Member

I skipped the AC-delete bracket and found a v-belt that fits well. I have not had any squealing or slipping in the 6-months its been on. Of course I don't get the benefit of a lower COM.

I deleted my entire system up until the fire wall. A much cleaner engine bay is the result.
Old 10-13-2005, 01:14 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

-sound mats under carpets (2 front, 2 rear) -saves about 25 pounds
25 pounds? where are they and how hard!
-sunroof motor with wiring and cables. use manual sunroof latches
still to attatched! but maybe another time.
-rear hatch wiper and motor
as good as gone
-lightweight track seats mounted directly to floorboard (saves headroom)
already have a pair of FX1 pros in, but they are not side mounted. I'm considering side mounting, but not for the 5-10 pounds saved, but for the head room. I don't think I'll be able to fit a helmet on as its setup currently.
-front foglights replaced with brake ducts
can't bring myself to do it yet.
-radio and speakers. saves about 10-15 pounds.
whaaaat????
-replace cat with straight pipe if this is off-road car. the cat is quite heavy
done.
-remove seatbelts and use harnesses if off-road
eh, thats maybe a pound each side... not worth it. I have the rear seat belts gone.
~Eyal

Quick Reply: Another AC delete thread and weight reduction