Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Theft Prevention

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2005 | 01:41 PM
Izzy
Three Wheelin'

Default Theft Prevention

Recently, I've been seeing a lot of threads on 944s being stolen/broken into. While there are several steps to take to prevent theft (coil ground kill switch, fuel pump kill switch), how decent is the 944 factory alarm at preventing theft? If someone opens the door without unlocking it and physically turning the cylinder with a key, or in the case of the later generation 944s (S2, etc), the alarm goes off and the DME is cut off? Or can some idiot always shove a screwdriver in the door and get that cylinder to turn? I'm wondering whether the power locks mean anything to theft prevention.
Old 10-03-2005 | 06:12 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

the factory alarm is pretty good from all of the accounts ive heard. the worst part is just remembering you turned it on.
Old 10-03-2005 | 06:38 PM
Sam I am
or Sam O
Rennlist Member

If someone reallly wants to steal your car they can simply break a window to unlock it, and if they have stealing for sometime, kill switches and most alarms systems are only time barriers.

You could just pull the DME relay when you want to protect it. A pain yes, but effective.
Old 10-03-2005 | 06:47 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

if a theif wants it enough, you'll be missing a car. kill switches are nice, but if the theif knows the car hes stealing (pro's do, since the strip em too) he'll know where the fuel pump wires run, and he'll just find where you spliced into that line... no need to find the switch. alarms just make noise for the 5-10 seconds it takes to disable it.
Old 10-03-2005 | 06:50 PM
special tool
Banned

I have a quick-release on my MOMO hub.
I have been seen walking around with a steering wheel.
Old 10-03-2005 | 07:23 PM
Izzy
Three Wheelin'

Not an issue with the S2, you lock it and alarm is armed.

Then again, if a thief knows what hes doing, he'll have a spare steering wheel with him

You could always rig up some type of DME relay adapter into a place more acessible in the car, such as the glovebox.
Old 10-03-2005 | 07:53 PM
yellowline
Under the Radar
Rennlist Member

The South African system.

The instant someone touches the door, flames shoot out from under the car. Thief flambe.

You might get a few personal injury/wrongful death suits, but you'll still have your car.
Old 10-03-2005 | 08:59 PM
WhoDak
Instructor

Put 12V against the body, carry some HEAVY insulated gloves and place the switch to turn it off, just inside the door
Old 10-03-2005 | 09:05 PM
nine-44
Addict
Rennlist Member

you can go to your car with bare hands and grab both terminals and be ok. Skin doesn't conduct 12V so well, 120, 220, 480 is a different story.
Old 10-03-2005 | 09:27 PM
75ohm
Resistance is Futile
Lifetime Rennlist

Check this out:

http://www.auto-theft.info/anti-theft_tips.htm
Old 10-04-2005 | 04:39 AM
joonas
Racer

Best protection would be the swich placed were it is not expected. Best would be the situation when everything looks ok but car doesn't start or runs so bad that you cant drive it.
Like cut the power from dme somewere in the wires were no one can see it(some say it is bad, i don't know)
Without power to dme car just starts for a second and then dies. Nothing else seems to be wrong.

Cut the signal to the injectors or reference sensor. (Warning shielded wire)
Make the horn to come on when ignition is turned. Make the light flash or something that brings attention to the car.

Make the time relay that enables the car to drive few minutes and shuts the car off in the middle of the traffic or something.

Where I live we have GSM kits that signal the owner by sms when the alarm comes on. It makes available to track the car down by positioning the gsm number and makes it possible to control car with sms or dtmf codes. Like shut off the engine and lock doors wile the car sitting in traffic in the middle of the town.

Main thing is just do something unusual to confuse the thief.
Old 10-04-2005 | 02:13 PM
pcarfan944
Burning Brakes

I originally saw this over on audiforums.com, but its good advice and I think it definitely applies to us to, so I decided to copy at paste it below:

Just a word of caution to all Audi owners on the forum:

There are always trolls or posers (posers = those who appear to be something they are not) on the forum that prey on unsuspecting members by what seems to be a sincere dialogue. Typically someone asks you to post your car's pic. Then they will find out where you work or live. The next thing you know, your car is stolen from under your nose.

It's an added bonus for the thief if your dialogue has included your security sytem - if you let the troll know what type of alarm/security you have (some of us have added security systems), you have made it that much easier to steal your Audi.

I hear about a lot of thefts in the Northern New Jersey area often. Although much of the theft is due to the inherent crime wave in that area, some of the thefts have been traced to forum members disclosing too much info about their cars.

So... be careful about what you say/disclose on this forum.

BTW: Any additional news on how to make your Audi more secure should be kept between you and someone you know - in person. Don't disclose (on the forum) new tricks, methods, or sytems that help make our Audis more secure.

"Better safe than sorry."
Old 10-04-2005 | 02:22 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

A friend of mine recommended police strobes. They are not legal, however will attrat alot of attention in the event your car is stolen.

Another suggestion was to place a hidden siren inside the car. Make your theif go deaf.

How well do those things that lock the clutch pedal or brake pedal work?
Old 10-04-2005 | 08:07 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

cardboard cut-out of rottweiler in front seat?
Old 10-04-2005 | 08:14 PM
Wildstar
Advanced

If the thief REALLY wants your car, no one and nothing can truely stop him. Wasn't there a Rennlist member who had his *towed* away by a thief from a parking lot? Man, they will try anything (and more often than not succeed! )

Quick Reply: Theft Prevention